It happens everywhere

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wbd20, Nov 5, 2003.

1. wbd20

wbd20 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    This is only partly MLS related, but for the amount of railing that gets done on behalf of pointy ball lines on our stadiums, anybody catch the rugby lines at Old Trafford last night? Not as evident, but still there.

At least it does happen on the world stage.

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    soccer lines on a football field

I went to the USC-Washington State football game at the LA Coliseum last Saturday. Although, the field crew did a great job of removing or painting over the lines, I could still tell that a soccer game was played there recently (MFL all-star game).

No one around me complained about the desecration of the beautiful football field with that foreign game's markings. MLS should ask the coliseum field crew for pointers on how to remove those lines.

On a related note, the football game between Carson High and Banning High will be played at the HDC on Thursday. I will be curious to see how well the HDC field crew does in getting rid of the football lines with MLS Cup mere weeks away.

3. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck is MFL?

4. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Mexican Football League.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: soccer lines on a football field

Dang. That must be some big high school game.

I had hoped that the HDC field would be used for soccer games only. Just on principle. But I don't want to deny St Phil a chance to recoup his investment. Dave Matthews is one thing but HS football

6. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Re: Re: soccer lines on a football field

Part of the deal to get the stadium built.

BTW-for some reason, the field at HDC for the playoff game looked in better condition that at any time this year, save the stadium opener.

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Re: Re: soccer lines on a football field

Hosting this big local high school rivalry game also fosters better relations with the local community. Maybe some of these high school students and alumni will want to come back next year for a futbol game.

8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The smae thing will occur in mid-December when the HDC hosts a number of the CIF Championship games. personally, I think it's great: it's gets some new blood into the stadium and it's really the perfect size venue for a HS football championship in So Cal. If I am not mistaken, don't similar games in Ohio take place at C-Crew Stadium?

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also see futbol americano markings at times at Pumas' stadium and in Monterrey, IIRC. FSE carried some Mexican league American football games last year from various stadiums that you see in the MFL every weekend.

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New turf was put down just before the WWC final

11. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    I'm not sure about the other posters, but my complaints only come when the football markings are vividly evident. it's one thing if another sport has been played recently, the stadium crew attempted to remove the lines, and faints markings remained (for example in Metros 1st game on the turf that was the case). It's a completely different situation when a team plays and football markings are seen much more clear than the soccer ones (like every other game the Metros have played on the turf since). When I'm watching a soccer game and I'm struggling to see the lines, that's a problem. But if someone somplains about barely-vising markings, that's probably over the top.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

is there any phrase used on Big Soccer that is more stupid than this? :rolleyes:

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: It happens everywhere

"Go Quakes!"

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

helmetball and gridiron come to mind. they just reak of inferiority complexes.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

yes.... The proper name of the "sport" is American Bastardized Rugby..... enjoy....

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: It happens everywhere

dork. funny, but you're a dork. :D:D

17. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

it takes a long time for the roots to take hold... the field will be better next year

it's pretty much impossible to have a perfect or near perfect grass field the first year

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Crew Stadium normally hosts a high school football doubleheader - in an obvious attempt to pad high school football's attendance! - "kickoff classic" at the beginning of the season and then one, maybe two, playoff games at the quarterfinal/semifinal level. There are fairly consistent rumblings that Ohio State will make another bid to bring the state championships back to Columbus with finals games to be played at Ohio Stadium and Crew Stadium.