Israel vs. palestine!! who do you support?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Kappa18, Aug 15, 2002.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Your naivete is bordering on childishly cute.

It's pretty obvious the Reagan administration made a backroom deal with the Martians. The US sells arms to Mars in exchange for precious Mars fuel. To cover up the deal, Martians stage a mock-invasion of the United States, but since both sides are in on the deal, no real damage is done.

Sure, a few unattractive people die and trailer parks get wiped out but it's all worth it since the mock-invasions help the military-industrial complex for both US and Mars, and Americans come out looking like heroes. The whole Mars-attacks-America is a profitable arrangement for both parties involved.

Have you noticed that only secondary characters die in those movies while Will Smith survives every time?

2. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Are you suggesting that Will is in on it?

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's exactly what I'm suggesting. If my suspicions are correct, and they are, Mr. Smith has no military or law enforcement training but is merely an actor hired to play the role of the "American hero" in government sponsored propaganda films.

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Who will really miss the trailer parks anyway?

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    The state of South Carolina, for one. And I suppose Jerry Springer and tornadoes don't want to lose their primary target audience.

6. schuer

schuer New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Palestines all the way

You can not occupy a land, humilliate a people for over 40 years and then when they strike back, blame then of terrorism.

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I wonder who was in charge of the West Bank forty years ago. I'd thought it was Jordan, but I guess that was just Zionist propaganda.

The PLO was formed forty years ago - I wonder what they meant by "Palestine." You'd think if they wanted West Bank independence back then, they'd have fought against Jordan, but as we found out in 1967, fighting Jordan would probably have been just too easy. Israel had to find two other opponents, and even then they couldn't spin the war out past the weekend.

Great joke from that time: "Why did the Six Day War only last that long? Because on the SEVENTH day, they RESTED!" The State of Israel - celebrating over fifty years of scoreboard.

8. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Dear Loney-san,

Heaven knows that military conquests alone justify a nation and everything it does. Ends? What ends? It's all means, O honorable friend. If you can waste Nanking or wage economic warfare on a whole subject population to try to break their spirit even though they're peaceful, who can question you? After all, you Americans have done so well in Latin Ameri...

Hey, where'd those P-38s come from???

Love,

Adm. Yamamoto

9. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Dear Admiral Yamamoto,

You always did have a strange idea of what constitutes peaceful.

Sincerely,
    Admiral Kimmel, Pearl Harbor (relieved 12/1941)

10. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country

Dear Adm. Kimmel,

I'd say purging the ranks of one's largest, most mainstream group of its hardcore terrorists, relegating said terrorists to the fringes where they are almost entirely dependent on foreign support, making unprecendented moves towards peace such as recognizing one's opponent's right to exist, talking to one's opponent instead of blowing him up and doing all this despite one's opponent provoking one with increased illegal colonization and ridiculous proposals at the negotiating table can be considered relatively peaceful considering what went on before.

Too bad these things were seen as a sign of weakness and the Israelis mistakenly decided to go for the jugular rather than take advantage of the most Palestinians already being resigned to Israel's existence and occupation of the Occupied Territories to integrate the majority of them into Israel and marginalize the hard core violent holdouts. But then I guess vindictively bankrupting the Palestinians and keeping them there was more satisfying emotionally than assimilating them into the superior economy that Israel could have provided them. A comfortable middle-class people with economic roots and something to lose is far less dangerous and rebellion-prone than one with nothing to lose.

Your buddy always,

JM Keynes

11. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Keynes, you ignorant slut.

Working backwards - well...the idea that middle-class people aren't rebellious is far from universal. Bin Laden was a rich man, to point out the latest and most obvious example. So is Arafat. It is hope, not despair, that breeds revolution. We saw this in 1776 and 1789 (as well as 1917 and 1933, if you want to get dark and despairing about it).

The Palestinians weren't about to reconcile with being integrated into Israel. That had no possibility of coming true. If it was true, then, why the hideous resistance to settlements? Okay, besides the ones that were built over bulldozed orchards or whatever. But integrating the West Bank into Israel would have been insanely provocative to the rest of the Mideast, even by Israeli standards. How would that have been different from those Iraqi maps showing Kuwait as the 20th province?

As far as Arafat's good faith in marginalizing his militant opposition - I think he simply wanted a monopoly on violence in the West Bank. The Mafia doesn't wipe out rival crime bosses because they're against crime.

The negotiations were impractical not because of Israel's proposals, but on Palestinian insistence on East Jerusalem and the right of return. If Israel's failure to offer those qualifies as "ridiculous," then there is absolutely no chance of peace.

Sincerely,
    The Nobel Committee
    If you can't revoke the Prize, revoke the holder.
    - Laurence Simon, File 13 Amish Tech Support

12. Mitre

Mitre New Member

The denial of the right of return is ludicrous because of the Israeli gov't's logic behind doing so: allowing all those Palestinians back in would allow them to outnumber us . Too ****ing bad. I believe that's called...discrimination?

13. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Discrimnation as nothing to do with it....

UN Resolution 242 & 338 which opened the doors to the Madrid Conference as well as the Oslo accord, doesn't mention anything about right of Return (ROR) or any compensations. Both Resolutions refer to Land for peace. Do you realize that ROR was made just on camp david. For years, arafat never even mentioned it. he cared more about having some land first.

Israel shouldn't have this because, after all..
    Israel is a small country.... How can you be willing to have a country of less than 7 million people take in 3.8 million people who are hostile to Israel and would eventually as you say outnumber them.

How would they be employed or where would they live. Israel, has a high capacity as it is..You expect to fill it up to the lenght.... Do you care about pollution or City smog or anything with an overcrowded population??

So that is too ************ing bad for you, not us!!!!

The only thing your spelling is a recipe for a Civil war to break out in a 2040..... And i thought we were talking about the peace process? What happened to that one?

14. Mitre

Mitre New Member

i don't know...you tell me...the Israeli gov't is the one bulldozing houses and vindicating all the bile coming out from Hamas and inspiring suicide bombers left and right...

15. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Lets go back in time here Mitre.....1995...

When a Hamas suicide bomber blew himself up in Tel Aviv or a Bus.....Do you think there was talk about occupation, bulldozing and army crackdown???

There was nothing... And till today there is no excuse...

The same excuse your defending suicide bombing is the same as a kid from the suburbs whos parents are making 70,000 a year, goes and commits suicide...what the difference there?!?!?!? Both got a third party to mandate the death!!!!

I don't think that Palestinian bombers have given israel a choice here...Look at the start...but then again there is a huge triangle here that just don't want to stop..

Bulldozing, even as wrong as it may sound is stoping this. Ironicly...When the Suicide bombers stopped as well, so did the Bulldozers?

IN bulldozers we trust!!!

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Israel hasn't exactly given the Palestinians much of a choice either. The Palestinians have been living under their thumb for 35 years. Before that, they were living under the thumb of the Jordanians and the Egyptians. Before that the British, and before that the Turks. However, the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Territories have to be taken out or else this will never end.

17. schuer

schuer New Member

Nov 26, 2001

So because Palestinia was occupied before by Jordan, the Palestines have no case and the policy of Israel which more and more looks like pure Apartheid is justified.

18. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

But back in the early 80's when occupation was even worser and than was no sign of hope and peace process only skirmish gurilla war-fare..... Palestinian were being occupied more, they didn't control any cities and there was no suicide bombings....

How can u justify 1982 and 2002 when in the west bank and Gaza there was occupation, worser than today and yet not even 1 suicide bomber came out.

Infact, speaking about choice, here..Yes; we did give them a choice. We made peace with them. And in return, we have to put a burdon on Israeli society here. More security just to make peace....how fair is that sometimes????

So in your case point..We did give them a choice and there choice was to resist instead of move on.

Look at the mideast conflict as a perspective, not as a camp david 2000 and beyond!

19. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Isreal - State Sponsored terrorism backed by the so called Righteous USA

Palestine - Defending the only way they know how, throwing rocks and killing themselves with explosives kamikaze style.

Bottom line - Rich jews control the congress, thus that is why the US backs Isreal.

20. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Incorrect. Rich Jew control the world from a mountaintop retreat in the Swiss Alps. The US Congress is but a small pawn in their global reach.

21. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Goldberg vs The Iron Shiek

My money is on Goldberg.

22. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    support neither.

Arafat is a liar and potentially a war criminal (though I think you actually have to have a state for that charge)

Sharon is also a war criminal (see Israeli invasion of Lebanon, 1982).

Both leaders need to go. Negotiations were close at camp david, and even better shortly after. sharon incited violence in order to get elected and it has spiraled down hill ever since.

Palestinian suicide bombings need to stop. South Africa resisted peacefully, I think Palestinians would get overwhelming benefit of world opinion (even in US, I believe). I understand the anger but think violence undermines Palestinian objectives.

Israel has to stop settlements. This is clearly a violation of intl law, and IMO, undermines the government's claim of desiring peace. I understand Israel responding to the attacks, but think they do it in a heavy handed manner that sponsors more attacks.

So in conclusion...strap a bomb to arafat and let him hug sharon, and lets start anew

23. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    First, if you're going to write about Israel, please learn how to spell it.

As for the above assessment, Israel may continue its illegal colonization of the West Bank, wage economic warfare against an already defeated population and engage in many sorts of human rights abuses regardless of what the Palestinians do but since most peoples' definition of "terrorism" is limited to hijackings, suicide bombings and such, by THAT limited definition, you are mistaken.

Defending what? They're trying to create a state, not defend anything.

And throwing rocks at tanks is stupid while blowing up civilians in pizzerias is not only horribly immoral even against an oppressor but also mindbogglingly counterproductive on the PR front. What scares me is the possibility that by this point the extremists may be beyond caring what the rest of the world thinks of them, in which case all Palestinians moderates who have realistic ideas about gaining a "Palestinian state" would do well to HELP the Israelis stop these ass-holes.

Of course, it would help if Israeli moderates got their government to stop the illegal colonization and the continued economic warfare but then Israel has the luxury of not having to do these things if they don't want to because all they have to do is point at graphic photos of blood-splattered buses whereas an economic war doesn't produce imagery nearly as arresting or emotionally charged.

Inaccurate as well as anti-Semitic.

Sure, part of the reason for our support of Israel is that they're mostly visibly European, their names aren't as foreign-sounding to us as Arab names are and Israelis tend not to wear Pizza hut table cloths on their heads or raise oil prices on us. But "the Jews" do not control our relations with Israel to anywhere near the extent that the Krazy Kubans in Miami control our relations with Cuba, for example.

Many factors combine to influence our level of support for Israel, not least being their availabilty as a source of countervailing power should the Muslim world go down the drain and our sources of oil be imperiled. Many people will argue that this alone makes them worth the billions in aid we've pumped into them.

Also, the USA has half-assedly criticized Israel on and off over their human rights abuses, their spying on us and other areas of disagreement.

24. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Look everyone, it's Baseball Hall of Famer Steve Carlton!

25. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    close enough though lol