Israel/Palestine in the News, Part II

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Now I will guess you buy that bulls^it but you think the rest of the world should?:confused:

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why do you insist on trolling? Let adults do the talking.

3. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even though the death of an Israeli is equal to the death of a Palestinian, an Iraqi, an American, a Japanese, etc...how that death came about is important for "moral" reasons.

For example, no individual or country was responsible for the deaths of the many innocent Japanese people that died as a result of the tsunami/earthquake. And thus no country/individual was morally responsible for those deaths.

BUT, in this case, this was the murder of unarmed, sleeping civilians who were "settlers" and thus this becomes a political issue due to the sensitivity of the settlements. This is equivalent to some guy murdering a doctor who is performing a legal abortion and justifies it (if he kills the doctor prior to abortion) via "defense of others" or afterwards by saying he enacted the death penalty for someone who murdered a child.

Say there are two neighborhoods. I am neighborhood X and you are neighborhood Y. I launch rockets into your neighborhood. Your neighborhood security service starts launching rockets into weapons factories in my neighborhood. In the process, since you have more expensive weapons (and thus more devastating), the result is a lot more of innocent civilians in my neighborhood die. The entity that resulted in the death of the innocent civilians in my neighborhood was obviously the security service of your neighborhood. But the moral responsibility is a little different. 1: Those innocent civilians would never have been at risk if it were not for the individuals launching rockets from my neighborhood 2: If the motive for the security service of your neighborhood was to destroy weaponry that was launching rockets in my neighborhood and took all possible practical precautions to avoid casualties of unarmed individuals, then even though my secruity service directed the attack that resulted in the death of unarmed individuals, I am morally "off the hook".

That said, re: the effectiveness of the US/Israeli strategy on dealing with terrorism in the Middle East can be questioned. For one, imo, a military solution to dealing with Hamas/Hezbollah/Muslim Brotherhood/etc is limited at best.

Another example...say, there is a doctor that is treating a patient. The doctor makes a mistake that results in the death of the patient during surgery or whatever. And say, I come and murder you while you are sleeping. In both cases, the end result is the death of an innocent person (unarmed). Should the doctor have the same punishment as me?

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I defended you once before - this is crap, though.

5. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I can not and will not buy that the IDF only shoot when fired on.....

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I did not say that. I'm sure there are plenty of instances of IDF shooting first.

I only presented those various circumstances to draw a destinction b/w what happened in Itamar and some other frequent events.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Not that this is a surprise.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_simmering_settlement

8. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    sailing peacefully? Palestinian lands? What's the point of discussing things with you, when you are so effing blind to the facts on the ground. Always has been and always will be. That's all your kind do, when they are wrong , they bring in other issues to change subject. You are in class of your own for sure. Scum.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Normal in that part of the world. And of course the whole community will now want to build more.

As someone said earlier, Palestinians are only hurting their own cause with such horrific actions.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they've been doing that for several decades now.

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "This is our land and it will always be the Jewish homeland," said Moshe Goldschmidt, the New York-born head of the town council. ... Construction is the answer, said Nili Afarsimon, a 20-year-old mother of an infant. "If we expand and build, it will tell the Arabs that this is our land, and they will know their place."
    I suppose that these transplanted fanatical New Yorkers mystify the average Israeli. Yet, the government continues to encourage them to emigrate, subsidizes them financially, and claims inability to control them.
    http://www.shechem.org/itamar/eindex.html
    Friends of Itamar Attn. Lester Goldsmith 1483 East 34th Street Brooklyn NY 11234
    "we made aliyah to Itamar 15 years ago"
    It was founded by a son of Moshe Zar. The son was killed there in 2001.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/16/magazine/the-unsettlers.html?src=pm
    "When these young settlers claim a new hill, they also claim the land around it, which in some cases Palestinians have been farming for many years. The new settlers don't seize the land in any official way; they simply uproot Palestinians' trees or shoot in the air at any Palestinian who comes close."
    ''The Torah says we should kill all the Arabs ... Not just Arabs who maybe help terrorists. Everybody.''
    http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=212018
    It seems odd that any attacker(s) gained access not only to the settlement, but also further, into the house. The article notes an alarm before the attack, but none afterwards? How did the attacker(s) leave without setting off a second alarm?

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do I. It's odessit and the like that can't, or rather won't...

14. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    It's ironic how instead of talking about this tragic event, the thread has moved from discussions on flotilla, settlers, land grabbing to how "good" some of you are in your proclamations that you are evenhanded in this affair and that you are against all violence. Save me your crocodile tears, it's rather pathetic.

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less pathetic than your arguments supporting the apartheid and dehumanization of an entire culture.

16. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    i guees you don't understand the meaning of the words apartheid and culture either...
    but keep trying to convince me otherwise.

17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a religious fundamentalist. I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. I'm going to try to convince everyone exposed to you just how sick your world view is.

Have a nice day.

18. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Wow, if you only knew how WAY off you are...

19. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I am not sure if this one got enough of an attention. I won't waste time highlighting all that is wrong with it, but just to ask you and whomever else to have another read.

My lazy way to suggest a rethink of positions would be to ask whomever to have a look at "veil of ignorance" - see John Rawls. And to have a read of To Kill a Mockingbird - end speech.

20. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    thanks for your input, now go back and crawl under the rock where you came from.

21. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    * sneak
    ** bed sheets
    *** your mother's gaping a__l hole awaits.

Insults are easy. Try reading what other people say and actually thinking about it once in a while, trust me it won't hurt your brain that much.

When every humanitarian organisation (who all condemn actions such as those committed against the Israelis a few days ago) has a habit of emphasising all the things that Israel does wrong, you really have to think about the position you take if you claim human rights to be so important. When so many who care about human rights take a universal approach to Israel, I do hope you take some note of it. I'll let you go back and have a read of the two things I referenced as opposed to explaining them to you.

22. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How about you eff yourself, your mother and those humanitarian organizations.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is wrong with you?

24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    ???

...responding to an irrelevant post containing an insult. Why do I have to listen to people constantly changing the subject and reiterating how evil Israel is when this monstrosity took place on behalf of Palestinians? Same people claiming they are fair and against all violence, write pages of posts in response to Israeli "crimes" while, at best, throwing one sentence regarding this particular heinous crime.

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's blinded by religious hatred. It's sad.