Isn't ANYONE interested in S Hunt?

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by mschofield, Jul 13, 2009.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, i know it's early in the silly season, but holding on to Steve Hunt and his marvellous do through the early days of training does us absolutely no good at all.
    He's made it clear he's moved past Reading (to be fair, the championship) and that he belongs in the Prem.
    Rodgers has agreed to cut his price, let him leave for any reasonable fee (meaning, the $7.5 price is slashed).
    Problem, apparently, is that folks with actual checkbooks don't seem to agree.
    Now, I can see this. I think that Hunt adds, I really do. I think he can add something to a lot of clubs. But while running around frantically today is becoming more of a rare skill, i'm not sure how valuable or sought after it is.
    So, what should we settle for? Frankly, i'd be thrilled to get tommy smith money for him (pds 1.8m).
    I keep thinking that his sale is all that stands between Reading and Smith, or a new center back.
    And while that's not a fair way to look at it, does anyone on here think that s hunt will be anything less than a total pain in the ass if Reading can't find him a new home?

2. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHunt needs to go. I'm surprised we've had him this long. Rodgers has said there have been no formal offers for SHunt, but there is interest in him from lower tier prem clubs. Prem clubs seem to rate him highly for some reason and still want him. Hopefully we can get a few million for him.

3. millwallmad

millwallmad New Member

May 31, 2008
    Perth Australia
    I think Stephen Hunt's price is too high for the quality of player he is. He is a useful player on the left as he is so aggressive and runs so much. He could play a role where he tracks an attacking rightback or to help double up on a dangerous winger. He does seem to be able to pull something out of nothing now and again but his wingplay is very inconsistent and his distribution is very questionable.

Either then that he doesn't offer much. He is a great Championship player but a fairly average Premiership player whose price is quite high for the clubs who would be interested in him.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, yeah. but we want rid of him, and we'd like a couple million in return. not because he's worth it, but because we'd like the money

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay. Hull's bid has been accepted and Sky reports he's agreed personal terms. So, any one see a mention of the transfer amount? Is it a smith?
    Very clear after this match that we've got some very promising young players, but still would like to add a striker, and smith would be ideal

6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading Evening Post

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thank you. the footie gods are good, that's a smith plus spare change, enough for winger, and still leaves us 4m to the good this summer.

8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen any other numbers thrown about. I hope the Post got that figure from a reliable source; sure would sweeten the pot.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The shocking number in this is that hunt is on 30k a week, so close to $50k. $2.6 million a year? For Hunt?

10. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I had to read that twice. Must have one hell of an agent.

11. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic news and what a deal too. Reportedly around 3 million from hull and frees up salary space as well. He has been the shadow of the player he was from 05 to 07. I would love to bring in Smith now because that is the one thing we absolutely need right now.

12. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Who's gonna be the flop of the year from Reading? Doyle or Hunt?

My vote goes to Doyle, i mean 6.5M for a championship striker? It's gonna be Kitson all over again.

13. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its going to be Hunt. Doyle still has things to prove at his age and I think he has some room to improve. Hunt on the other hand, is declining and is already not good.

I've heard that now that we have some cash, we are going after McAnuff and Smith from Watford. I think we'll at least get Smith in the next few days as their chairman has eluded to a possible transfer.

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We've seen that when Doyle goes cold, he's frozen solid. but, if he hits one hot patch, he knock in 5 or so in a month, and i'd think any goal production is going to be highly worthwhile for wolves this year.
    meanwhile, Hunt is going to run around like a wild thing and cause some havoc but not produce much of value.
    I'm not sure either one is a flop. Doyle does have that potential, and he cost more. but i do think he's the goods. I don't know that Hunt can flop. I mean, everyone knows what he can and can't do (lot more on this side of the plate).
    What is a Hunt flop, if he kills a man? Fails to?
    However, if Harps moves, he might be a candidate. I think he's a very fine ccc mid, but is just not quite there for a prem side.

15. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Hah, a flop, a Reading flop for that matter, is EVERY player from the 05/06 squad, that left for another bigger club and have done diddly squat since (which is EVERY player that left after relegation). Oh the names, Kitson, Little, Shorey, Sidwell, Sonko (am I missing anyone?). And to add that, Hunt, and possibly Doyle. I refuse to believe none of them are going to flop, what makes them different then any of the players above?

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, Doyle can flop, because expectations are high.
    If Hull think they're getting anything other than an annoying idiot in hunt, they will be greatly disappointed, but no one is that out of touch, are they?
    And, i'd say that Sids was a flop at chels, but not really, in that wtf, he was never that good, but that he's been fine for villa.
    yeah, sonks, shorey, kits and little were flops. Hunt could flop in that way, and never see the field. Doyle, i think, plays. I think he's a cut above, maybe with sids the only legit prem players in the bunch, the others benefitted from one hell of a manager.

17. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Finished watching Chelsea vs Hull City, lucky bustard got a goal on his debut. :rolleyes:

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    one of the reasons this is the greatest game yet created. the ball is round, the game is 90 minutes, anything can happen. even a f'ing muppet character can score against world class players, now and then.
    good for him.
    I hope hull sees him as a good value. He was clearly coasting for us the last six months, and really hadn't been near the top of his rather bizarre game since early 08.
    but still, played a big part in, depending how you rank it, either the most successful or second most succesful season in club history, 8th in the prem, after all.
    And, if nothing else, hunt scoring on Chelsea gives every father of every little dejected and defeated kid the ability to, honestly, say, "don't despair, look at that one, you're at least as good as he is, and he's just beaten cech (the right way, this time;)"