Islanders 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by crazy al, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I count three new team members, one is none other than ex-Islanders Caleb "Playstation" Norkus! The other two are the ones behind and to the left of Tyler Wilson

Attached Files:

2. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. As I said on one of our other threads. Was in San Juan last week. I went to the Edmonton and San Antonio game. Over heard that the Islanders may sign 5 more players. Fresh legs and beefing up some positions.

Saw one of the signees, a form defender for FD Dallas. Big guy.

Fun times. Not long and CCL. Hope we find our rythmn by then.

3. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on Fana? And what about Foley? Would hate to lose both of these guys as we head down the stretch to the finish.

4. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If silence is golden, we must be 14 carat. No messages for nearly two weeks.

What are the fans' thoughts on the new season format?

I like the idea of an Apertura and Clausura. It takes the drudgery out of a long season. The month off in July will give everyone a chance to shuffle their rosters. Another good thing is that the Islanders could play some exhibition games with European, South or Latin Ameircan teams getting ready for their fall season. So, the split season sounds like a good thing all the way around.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally do not like the format, but hey worth a shot, see what happens.

6. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I am not a fan either especially for that reason. It is much better to have a set team for most of the year then changing it to compete in short tournaments it creates a lot of instability. Pretty much all short tournament leagues have a lot of coach and player turnover. The NASL had a good league structure the amount of playoff qualifications was a bit ridiculous but a single table format with a playoff at the end is better then short tournaments. Having a break in the season may be a good idea but it should have stayed as one long season

7. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good point. In both Mexico and Argentina, the turnover for coaches went up when they went to a split schedule. I hope the NASL Soccer Cup at the end of the season will provide an underpinning for the league and the coaches

The Islanders already take advantage of the July transfer window during the season. We added four players in July. The new format will give PRI a chance to integrate the new players during the break rather than let them work into the line up as we play real games. I think this will be similar to the way the January transfer window works for European teams (except England and Scotland). Of course, it might also be a chance to offload someone who just didn't work out.

Hopefully, it will provide more entertaining and more important games than the current format.

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Islanders vs Galaxy reserves nil-nil

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PR Islanders eliminated from the CCL.

10. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am returning to Texas from San Juan. Saw the game Wednesday night. Great performance by the Islanders. You can only play who the other team puts on the field. But Juninho, Donavan, Noonan and Buddle make for a pretty good team. Also Stephens and Boyens are players most MLS teams would like to have. Our attack was very good, but could not finish. Better yet was our defense that gave few "good" chances to LA. Playoffs start in 10 days (or less). That will be PRI's focus now. I bet we play our reserves for the Metapan game. It is on a Thursday. Playoffs start on Saturday. Too close to risk injury and fatigue for the starters.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    wow, the Boricua Islanders even have fans in Texas :thumbsup:

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Rough year for the team