Islamic chaplain, Capt. Yee, is charged as spy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Sep 20, 2003.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
  2. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    The only reaction I have to this last sentence is Sweet Jesus.

I don't understand how this is constitutional. I know constitutional protections get a de facto different treatment in times of "war," but this is like holding a crack dealer in detention until the "war" on drugs is over.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Wait....let me rustle through some papers here...now where was it that these guys at Guantanomo pledged fealty to the USA, so they could get the protection of our constitution....I know that's here SOMEWHERE....

rustle, rustle, rustle

Damn!! Well, I know, I absolutely know that these guys, you know, these Taliban, Al Qaeda folks were signatories to the Geneva Convention....somewhere...I just know it's around here somewhere....

rustle, rustle, rustle

Just give me some time...I'll find it....don't you worry...we'll get those guys F. Lee Bailey and Johnny Cochrane yet!!!!

rustle, rustle, rustle

4. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Good idea. Lets reduce ourselves to their level. Otherwise, the terrorists would have won.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    For once, I agree with Keller. This game is for keeps.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Without getting all emotional and all.....ahh what the hell - WHAT CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS DID 3,000 AMERICANS HAVE ON 9/11????

It's a WAR on terror, not paddycake. They wanted to fight the US and they got what they asked for. They're lucky they're still breathing IMO. The LAST thing we need these fvckers getting is some left-wing crackpot attorney like Ron Kuby. Let them read from the Koran as their defense. I hope they all get SS cancer or eaten by Fidel's trained alligators.

7. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    They had the same constitutional protections they were born with...which is more than most of us are likely to be saying ten years from now.
    But I'm curious to hear about these alligators you say your friend Fidel has trained, because you see I've got these deer that keep eating my tomatoes...

8. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Tell you what...I'll agree with you when we start chopping off body parts and engaging in summary executions at Columbus Crew Stadium...

Until then, enjoy your distinction blurring....feel good??

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I have seen this term, "Americans" for the 3,000 human beings killed that day, but that only means you have never been to New York City or actually have taken the time to read about the real people who died that day.

I, for one, knew of one illegal alien from Peru who worked as a bus boy at the Windows on the World restaurant. As far as Constitutional protections he or any other illegal have in this country...

I mean, if you or anyone wants to continue to use their deaths for political gain, then at least take the time to get the fact right.

People from other nations dies in the hundreds.

10. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Everyone knows a diverse crowd was killed on 9/11.

Pizza's point is that this is a war on terror that they started, so we don't need to be going around pretending the guys in Gitmo are of the same moral standard as those killed in the attacks.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty safe to say that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda that were born in Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc. did not have any constitutional protections. There are no American citizens being held in Gitmo.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Absolutely. And it's not "using their deaths for political gain." It's about being p!ssed off for a barbaric attack on civilians. It's about the Peruvian guy who busted his SS to feed his family & probably his family back in Peru. It's about the wives, husbands & kids who will never see their loved ones again. Their only "sin" was working in huge office towers or at the Pentagon.

People from halfway around the world want you DEAD, get it? And why? You don't worship the way they want you to. You don't think like they do. You don't talk like they do. You're an imperialist American scum. Worry about your own civil liberties for a change.

13. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I don't want the job of defending people who are killing people, especially if they are killing "our" people in battle.

But, let's keep this in context, as you and Bush put it, a "war" on terror.

I'd be willing to bet that these folks who are fighting US soldiers are not all terrorists per se. See, when you have war, can either side really claim a higher moral standard?

Just think, especially after Bush used the term Crusade, when we link these fighters with religion, they would seem to have some moral standard based on their standards?

How many times did we all ask, "Why?"

Why do they hate us?
    Why did they attack us?

It is too easy to say they hate our freedoms when we go out and take away freedoms. Ironic?

I mean, in the very least, most balanced people could agree that not all the detainees are either religious, terrorists or even hate the USA. Probably many didn't even know that the USA was helping the Northern Alliance or even knew of the attacks on 9/11.

They just happened to be on the wrong side, which in it of itself was not enough, but they lost the battle and are in jail. Too bad for them. It sucks to be them. No doubt. I have no simpathy, but don't see a terror war as enough to keep them.

Their main purpose for being alive is (was) for intel. They got it (if any) out of them. Why keep them?

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    But, there are some being held, even in military establishments.

Don't kid yourself because one day it could be you or "your kind".

I mean, it is not too far off to look back into history when we did such things to citizens with the public support and the cover of war.

Either it is right to do or not.

15. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I don't want to pick pebbles, but I believe a careful rereading of my post will show I was responding to [someone else whose name eludes me at the moment, my apologies]'s statement about the 3000 people who were killed on 9-11. I was not particularly speaking about the hijackers themselves.
    In advance, since I'm in a particularly fine mood, your apology is accepted.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You know what? Your argument has swayed me. Since we got all of the intelligence we could get out of these scumbags, I don't see why we can't give them 1st class tickets to the US city of their choice. Why not? They're obviously mindless drones who unluckily joined the wrong side.

The Saddam Hussein talk show can't be far off.

17. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

I wonder if it's going to be anything like Hitler's talk show.

Hitler: So i heard that in your next movie, we get to see your butt!

Christian Slater: Uh yes yes that's true.

Hitler: Can, can we see it now?

Christian Slater: Ummm sure ok Hitler.

Hitler: Oh my, he's going to do it!

If you are in ze Los Angeles area and vould like tickets to ze Hitler show, call 213- DU WERDEST EINE KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!"

18. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Hey, I'm just reading this site and watching some football. I'm not trying to be too deep. I just think there are not clear sides like say Germany versus England in this war and that may be by design...by Bush.

Maybe this is a little over your head.

19. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Bravo to you Garcia, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure I agree with it.
    I would very much like to know if I'm mistaken, but I know I read somewhere that the American interrogators were spitting on the Koran, and so forth...basically making life worse than hell for the captives, which I'm sure they thought was the Right Thing to Do at the time.
    I can't see the good in that (if in fact it happened - I truly can't now remember where I read it). If the Al-Quada people need to be locked in a hole for life, then lock them in a hole for life...theres no need for that kind of thing, if we're going to pretend to be better than them.
    Let us remember that there's a difference between Al-Quada and the Taliban, though its hard to tell, since once upon a time the CIA gave both of them money.

20. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I searched through Google main search and Google news with any possibly combinations of keywords I could think to find something like that, and the closest I can find to that degree is prisoners spitting on guards, so I would think you're probably mistaking.

OTOH, I can't tell whether this page is a joke or not:
    http://www.alkhilafah.info/massacres/afghanistan/campxray.htm

21. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

The CIA aided the Mujahadeen, not the Taliban(est 1996). They sure as hell didn't fund AQ.

22. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Treat the actual Afghans like prisoners of war, to be held until the war to pacify Afghanistan is won. Treat the Saudis and such that were fighting for the Taliban in Afghanistan like criminals, try 'em, and fry 'em.

Constitution = obeyed, justice = served. What's so hard about that?

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    These guys are 'illegal combatants' because the Taliban government was not recognized... or so it is said.

Yet when it was about oil pipes, the Taliban government was recognized.

All in all it's quite simple... it's BS. The rules get changed as the US government see fit. Has nothing to do with justice.

Besides that I don't believe the US has the right to take people from another country and throw them in jail as criminals.

But no surprise here, this government feels they are above the law and in charge of this world and each and every one on it.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Do you actually believe a word you're saying about the Taliban or are you just trolling? I hope it's the latter.

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That's more or less what we're doing, isn't it? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Afghans we captured are being given different treatment than the Saudis, Jordanians, Egyptians, etc.