ISG Report Released

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Claymore, Dec 6, 2006.

1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    That's been the talking point ever since people started to notice there weren't any WMDs.

Of course that was never the talking point before then.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way forward is the new talking point. Why not? Since Dubya has FUBARed everything in sight, why not start fresh?

Video: Bush's contagious catch phrase*

Okay, it doesn't work. Go the CNN home page. Goto the link: The Prez has a catchy new catchphrase.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say bash away until Chimpy figures out that he's the worst president in the history of the USA.

It won't solve the problems in Iraq, but it will make me feel better.

4. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite

Boy this is pretty much my take on the whole release of this report. I also doubt the administration is going to take it seriously and implement a great many of its recommendations. Therefore most of the recommendations in the report aren't as important and meaningful as the overall fact that the ISG is pretty much a bipartisan acknowledgement that Iraq is incredibly FUBAR. A titanic reality check if you will. And also a confirmation that everyone (a majority of the American people, many Dems in congress) who thinks that Iraq is getting worse and more dire is pretty much right.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd really be shocked if we're not in the same position in 2008 as we're in now. It will probably be the next president who will have to clean up this mess.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back? I never stopped.

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes me sick to my stomach.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We bash BushCo and the band of neocons to drive home the point how insane the Bush Doctrine is.

We bash BushCo and the band of neocons because idiots like dolts like Bill Kristol want to invade Iran.

We bash BushCo and the band of neocons because it might be the case the war could have been successfully waged with competent leadership. That leadership must understand the pitfalls of insanity of the current war on Iraq.

We bash BushCo and the band of neocons to ensure that history remembers this to be the worst foriegn policy mistake in our nation's history.

We bash BushCo and the band of neocons to reinforce the lessons learned by the war on Iraq and its aftermath.

We bash BushCo and the band of neocons to honor the fallen.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but its incredibly important. I can't believe this didn't receive more press coverage. Perhaps over the next few days...

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was delivered in the smarmy, acusitory, I know better than you Brittish tone. That's what was assholish.

Nothing. Just ask it appropriately for the response you want.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off-topic, but I've never understood why Blair and Bush get along well personally. I cringe when they're together because the differences in their manner, diction, vocabulary, coherence are so stark. I have no doubt that there's no more value in Blair's words than Bush's but at least he doesn't make me cringe when he speaks.

How can Blair tolerate him?

11. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Blair is an enormous sycophant, that's why.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We musn't ever offend King George.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you can eat candy?

14. Swab the poopdeck

Swab the poopdeck New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    in gurland
    It is a very interesting relationship, and I have no idea about it.

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall during their pre-war disscussions, and you would hope some more details about this will come out in time.

I wouldn't trust Blair as far as I can spit at the moment, at least on this issue.

15. Swab the poopdeck

Swab the poopdeck New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    in gurland
    Matt, the choice is yours, continue building your internet personality or, alternatively, just grow up. Tough choice.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of funny that the moderator of this forum is one of its most blatant trolls.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come again? All I did was make a silly

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    This is Bush's last chance to get out of Iraq.

If he goes his own way again the results will be disastrous. No question about it. The Maliki government will topple, and anarchy will happen.

And I'll be one pissed of mofo. So he better accept the god d*** report!!!! :mad:

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said, BW, even the authors of the report don't claim that their suggestions guarantee success. I haven't read the whole report but I gather that most of their recommendations are geared towards mitigating the disaster we're headed towards. Victory, indeed.

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush asked for our trust for the initial invasion of Iraq. I got behind him then, and look what he did.

Like Bush said, "Fool me once..." well, he tried to say it.

In any case, I also hope they get this sorted out. But we Americans are now responsible for many terrible acts committed in our names, and we have decades of damage to undo. Which I'm not even sure if we have the political agreement to try, even after all that has happened.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    While the Israeli government, as well as the so-called Anti-Defamation League and many other pro Israeli groups, have blasted the ISG recommendations, it was good to hear Bill Clinton's wise comments on the issue. The world really became a much worse place when GWB took the helm from a leader such Clinton.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1103AP_Netherlands_Clinton_Iraq.html

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    With regard to Bush and his poodle, Blair, let me note that actually some differences are arising between the two on some of the ISG recommendations, including as it relates to negotiations with Iran. It seems even Bush's pet dog is thinking of distancing himself from his master.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1967395,00.html

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    So if he'd asked the exact same question in a faux NY accent that would have been fine?

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The chief criticism is about the linkage between Israel/Palestinians with the problems of Iraq. We know exactly where Saudi funded James "F@!K the Jews, they don't vote for us" Baker is coming from. It's understandable that there would be some concern that Israel would be sold out to broker a deal that has nothing to do with Israel except that all the parties killing each other agree on only one thing, they hate Israel. Baker has even suggested having an Arab-Israeli peace conference without Israelis!!!

OTOH, there is far less resistance to dialogue with Iran.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I think it's kind of funny that the moderator of this forum puts up with so many cheap shots. See, Matt really is a libertarian!