Is WUSA folding good or bad for MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Fah Que, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now that WUSA has decided to fold, is it good or bad for MLS?

I think it's good news for MLS unless someone proves me wrong.

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's neither good nor bad for MLS. It makes no difference whatsoever. The WUSA league folded because very few people cared about it in the first place, which means there are very few people to now turn their thoughts to MLS instead. It means nothing to MLS, and MLS will survive and grow regardless.

3. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    I think it is a good thing b/c it will further get the idea of soccer being a girl's sport out of the average American sportfan's mind.

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    How could it be good for MLS? What possible reason is there this will help MLS in anyway?

If someone was going to WUSA games and never went to an MLS game, they aren't going to start doing it now.

The collapse of WUSA makes clear World Cup popularity can't sustain a domestic league; it's hard to judge what effect this will have for MLS, if any at all.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yet the fact that you are bothered by what stupid people think is going to be a part of your psyche (to your detriment) for the rest of your life.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Potential corporate sponsors will see soccer in a more negative, fragile, transitory light.

How is that good?

7. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Neither good or bad but it will be very bad if MLS considers bailing them out. MLS has been very smart so far and I don't think they will even think about picking up the WUSA. What women's team professional league has ever made in the history of sports?

8. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    If they don't think it is a girl's sport they'd be more likely to give MLS a chance.

Nothing to do with being bothered by what stupid people think.

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bad. I think MLS & Sum were just getting to a point at which they were going to be able to work with and profit from the WUSA. Advertisers with a soccer league folding in their mind are not the type of advertisers that MLS wants...

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not that it has anything to do with the fact that MLS doesn't advertise itself nearly as much as it should. Yeah, that tag of being a girl's sport is a real threat to American soccer. I don't know why I follow it in the first place.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This is news to me.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from a couple of days ago. i'll get it for you.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Just in case there's any confusion, I wasn't being confrontational or facetious. I really didn't know.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71656

After re-reading it the numbers weren't actually that big.
    Soccer in USA ready to cash in on World Cup

This article was from FIVE days ago...amazing how quickly that changed around. I didn't think you were being facietious at all, knew that the article was from very recently.

Later in the article it talks about that SUM was selling $8-10mil worth of advertising. Maybe the $100,000 the WUSA was spending should've raised a red flag...?

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose has an opportunity to gain some new fans from the teenage girls who used to frequent the CyberRays games.

Other than that, I don't see the fall of WUSA affecting MLS much one way or another.

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Oh, that article. As I read it, the WUSA stood to gain from MLS et al., not the other way around.

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On balance based on what I've seen in Washington, I would expect a slight increase in MLS attendance. There is some, but not large, overlap in the fans for both leagues. I would expect the WUSA "soccer" fans to turn up their attention back to MLS.

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah I thought the total the WUSA was spending on advertising was a lot higher. Unless they gave it to the WUSA at a severly discounted rate, that article mentions that most ad packages were going from $250k to $500k.

However, I also wonder if they'll be a hit in that less people will watch because they know the WUSA has folded? Not sure that really matters but I just hope that SUM has all those advertising checks cashed already.

19. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Personally I think losing your jobs is horrible. A lot of people are going to be very sad, but I thought this might be good for MLS because I always get the impression that WUSA is always trying compete against MLS. Blame Julie Foudy I guess.

20. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    WUSA teams will not be around to rent SSS when they are built.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I think it does matter but I don't think fewer people will watch. There was no WUSA in '99, and if the US repeats it will be somewhat beneficial to MLS, as the more casual fans post-WWC search for more soccer in any incarnation and somehow stumble upon Soccer Saturday, the playoffs and MLS Cup.

22. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    that's probably a valid point, but at the same time, any increase or tick up in attendance due to MLS being the only Soccer Kid on the block now could all be easily erased if advertisers look at this as a sign that pro-soccer doesn't work in the US. I just hope that MLS has a secure relationship with it's sponsors and they're confident in the league.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    This is GOOD for MLS, IF they play their cards right..

First, MLS will have likely more opportunity to do doubleheader with Women's Nat team...that means bigger attendence figures, which always helps (even if not more profit due to xtra cost)

2nd, MLS clubs can pick the dead profit carcass of this league, and cut only a deal that makes sense for them....that would be a low cost structure women's league in which MLS can build "clubs"....men's/women's under one roof....women can play games on separate nights, in smaller fields/stadium...but the occasionally doubleheader would also be a big draw...as well as women's players promoting the "club" (DC United) as a member/player.....

24. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What effect does a tornado in Arkansas have on Birmingham, Alabama? Probably about the impact WUSA folding will have on MLS positively or negatively.

25. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    This is great for MLS....

Someone should look at the attendance figures for MLS in cities where both MLS and WUSA Play. I know that the Revs do poorly these past few years because alot of fans, especially families with girls would rather attend WUSA Games then Revs games. The attences pick up in Late August and September around Foxboro when the fans don't have a choice. Someone should look up these numbers. I think you will see at least a 1000 fan per game increase for the summer months when both MLS and WUSA were in season. Next year the revs will start to draw much better, just wait.