Is Tim Ream the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He can't take the next step till he cleans that up.

Somewhat off topic, but the penalty call on Omar tonight was totally bogus.

2. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    It was such a laughable mistake, I'm actually not that bothered by it. As they say, *** happens. It's not even a fixable problem, it was simply a brain fart.

1 person likes this.
  3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Henry worked awfully hard defensively and i also didn't think De Ro was very sharp. He looked not himself. Henry just seems to lack the quickness and or offensive mindset needed. Hopefully he can pick it up though.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry made a couple runs back on defense. I'd rather he made those runs into dangerous places on offense...which he didn't.

I thought De Ro played pretty well. No one making good runs for him though. Lots of possession but no dangerous movement in the final 3rd. Offense isn't clicking yet for RB.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not finishing (albeit limited number of chances) helped cost them the game, too. In particular two shots that young Agudelo MUST finish. I realize he hit the post and crossbar but still those are goals one should bury even if they were not easy or sitting on a platter. Yes, I have high expectations of Agudelo. ;)

Make no bones about it, I'm not covering for Ream. He made a horrendous error. It was really inexcusable. One that a player of his caliber shouldn't make. An error much like Agudelo made. It's just that defenders have more costly mistakes. That's the way it is. You could see exactly what Ream was trying to do which was right; hit the ball wide to his RB. The problem is he didn't even look! That's the mistake. It was waaaay to casual. I agree, he has to clean up that aspect of his game. Silky, smooth, and calm passers like Ream can often make a mistake like that because they are so confident with the ball that they think all of their passes will be completed; they could do it in their sleep. It backfired, big time. And since he's a defender it's more costly, like I said. I'm a firm believer one play doesn't make or break a game. There's always "what ifs". But no doubt one play certainly can influence a game.

Ream is a quick learner and I have faith he will put this behind him. In the long run it might be better it happened now than say in a crucial playoff off game or Heaven forbid in the Gold Cup.

6. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    The life of a defender. You can play lights out all match and have 90% of the morons in the stands not notice, but you make one horrible mistake and you're a joke.

Ream's abilities are substantial enough that something like this needs to be instantly forgiven, IMO. Yes, he absolutely gifted Philly a goal, but I bet he prevented at least one goal with as many cut outs and great tackles that he made.

Marquez fluffed a couple as well, but his didn't lead to any goals, so no one remembers.

7. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like Reyna against Ghana (Germany '06) and Clark against Ghana (South Africa '10)?

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Or more relevant - Boca and Gooch against Ghana (Germany '06).

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Exactly...there is zero room for error when it comes to stuff like that and we have been screwed before...on the biggest stage.

It's gotta stop somewhere fro heavens sake.

Where is Eddie Pope when you need him. We didn't call him "steady Eddie" for nothing.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Are you referring to the penalty on Gooch?

Wasn't that more of Marcus Moronerck issue?:p

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    These are the sentences that worry me.

Ko10 and I were talking about this last year. There comes a point where it stops becoming "quick learner" to "we have a problem".

Are we there yet? I don't think so, but by the end of the year he may be.

We need to get him on some Focusin. Maybe Bart can supply some!:p

I agree Ko. That moron Harkes was right on that too. It's bad if that idiot sees it. I don't give a s**t about his two sprints back...if he doesn't make any into space, and misses a half dozen entry passes into the box when he isn't under pressure. He was bad. Make no mistake. Bad.

RB is starting to remind me of Mexico in the 90's. Pass it around forever and go nowhere most of the time.

Juan A's first post was an instinctual turn and shoot. I have no problem with it. Technique was good. While Califf did grab his arm on the second one, he had plenty of time to finish that one off. Keeper went down way to quickly also IMO, and he had the whole top of the net to put it into. Yeah, needs to put that one away.

Let's just hope TR does get it. I'm not sure it's about learning, or it is who he is. I never assume that someone will just get it eventually. Way to easy to get burned by that. Just do it son.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I disagree with this - Ream already gets it - he isn't an Agoof type player who is prone to this kind of mistake - he may be too calm at times, but it's the whole greatest strength being his biggest weakness. Defenders make mistakes, goal keepers have howlers - it happens. But Ream is incredibly accurate with his passes 99% of the time, and the statistics back it up (in a general sense, not the actual figure).

And talk of Agudelo doing anything wrong with either of those chances is craziness.

13. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better he makes those mistakes now and learn, for the Red Bulls instead of the USMNT.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I don't think he get's it yet. He still hasn't proven he can handle high pressure without poor giveaways (just doesn't happen much in MLS), and yes, being to calm is the issue. That is not a positive if it leads to clear chances for the opponent.

Most who evaluate Ream see that. Can't assume the light will just click on one day (it seems to be a US fan weakness). He has to do it. This year will show how much he is learning with regards to that.

Soccer is about goals obviously. The glaring mistakes are the ones that undue 99% of everything else if they are done consistently.

If you want to be harsh you can point to a lack of strength on the Paraguay goal. Was he fouled? Yup, but that happens 99% of the time on set plays anyway. No excuse. Has to learn and get stronger. Goal against.

These are two key issues to focus on moving forward. FOr once we have a guy who can pass and has good timing, but he still has to defend! He is a defender!

If those plays continue then there is a problem.

Look at Mo Edu. He is pretty much the exact same player he was 4 years ago. People are still projecting/waiting for him to take a step up and learn. It is not a given.

Henry needs to sit out a match and see what can be done without him. Whatever is up...he isn't there.

Juan's first post was great instinct.

The second ... well, if you want to be a clinical finisher then you gotta finish it. Enough of the, we'll get'em next time/he'll learn stuff.

Guys who can produce do, and they usually do it at a fairly young age.

That's not a criticism because he has done more than his fair share already, but should we expect a forward to finish that 2nd? Club or country? I don't see why not. That's what he is there for.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not saying I think he's ready for a starting position for the National team yet - and while I agree we sometimes assume that players are going to keep improving and some do and some don't, but this play was just a mistake - not something he needs to learn or grow out of. Ream's instincts are to be calm on the ball - and I personally don't want him to unlearn that - just be better at recognizing more dangerous situations - and he'll improve on that with experience.

16. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what Zoidberg and I are saying is that there are players who don't learn from their mistakes and continue to make them. We are hoping Ream isn't one of them, but it's hard to tell based on the limited information available. What we do know is that he is an excellent possession and positional defender, but last year every now and then he would make a huge mistake which would gift points to the other team.

If we were viewing him though the glass of MLS only we could live with it because his overall quality is earning NYRB an incredible amount of points over the course of a season. However, since we are holding him to such a high standard in the USMNT these kinds of mistakes need to be ironed out if he is to take the next step.

It comes down to a question of what his ceiling is and what his ability to learn from his mistakes is. He made bad mistakes last year. He just made another. Will they stop? When will they stop? That is the question.

1 person likes this.
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be ridiculous...mistakes will always be made, it is just a matter of them making a difference.

Howard had a couple howlers earlier in the season are we questioning him? Not saying Ream has reached that status on the USMNT, but as he gets better the mistakes will be few but they will be there. It is just a matter of playing.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this is the question. I'm inclined to think he will become an even better/smarter player with time, but you can't guarantee anything.

Another question is does Bob trust him enough in the short term to start him in the Gold Cup this summer when he is still good for a couple howlers like this?

1 person likes this.
  19. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Ream might start if Goodson isn't fully fit yet. Pair him with one of the three veterans.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Are we saying anything radical?:confused:

Fans see what they want to see, not what "is".

You would think after so many "over projections" (EJ comes to mind for some here;)) this would be tempered a bit.

As an MLS player TR is the man.

Will he become the "real deal" for the Nats is the question. Different set of rules and standards.

Comoesa - All we are saying is "never assume" the improvement. At some point it has to actually happen for it to be real, and not some internet argument about semantics. Never assume.

I'll beat it to death. Mo Edu is virtually the same player now as he was 4 years ago. I evaluate his play, not what I hope his play will be/could be/what it is at it's apex and use that as the standard instead of the actual median (another huge fan issue - a player's best spike should be how he always performs or will one day - NO).

His play now is what it was then, and I ain't waiting anymore for his "potential" to miraculously kick in. He pretty much is what he is.

Do I take him on my MLS team. Damn straight. Against CCAF. For the most part. Day in day out against everyone...nope. Just to make sure this thread doesn't take that usual ugly turn I think Mo and JJ should get a legit shot in the middle while Stu is out. Absolutely.

Consistent performance is just that. It has to be actually realized at some point. TR isn't there yet, there is zero guarantee he will get there, but we all hope he will...I just won't assume it's gonna happen. It has to actually happen for me.

Is that nuts? Maybe it is here, but not when I apply it at work.:p

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard misjudging a cross leading to a goal is a "howler" and certainly a gk cannot suffer many of these before he is on the bench.

Tim Ream's mistake seemed to go beyond "howler" as he gave Philadelphia a gift on a sliver platter in a match where they appeared unlikely to score from the run of play. He did it with a nonchalance that made it appear he wasn't even thinking of the opposition while handling the ball just outside his own penalty area in a game tied at 0-0. It wasn't like he was under a ton of pressure. It was just one of the weirdest things I have seen in a pro match.

22. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I would love to see a Goodson/Ream pairing. Cool and composed guys feeding off of each other, could be a nice thing to see even though the pairing lacks a little bit of pace.

23. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gooch never recovers his old form, then a Goodson-Ream pairing seems inevitable.

24. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If speed is an issue then Goodson is by far the fastest US CB (of core guys) so that would seem to be the best we can do for a Ream pairing with anyone currently in the pool.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He already showed he can finish on a very similar play in the first game of the season. He did well to bring the ball under control, hold off a charging defender and keeper in a bang bang play and attempted a chip few of our forwards would even attempt - and he missed by inches. Criticizing that play is ridiculous, in my opinion. I'm agnostic however on whether he can take it to the next level.

Like you, I'm sure, I watched every Red Bull game last season and while my memory is horrible, I don't have any idea what pattern of huge gaffes that gifted points you are talking about. Like I say, my memory is bad so I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but plays like Condoul's gift to Chivas tend to stick in one's mind.

I remember him getting beat in the playoffs on an error totally different from this one, I remember a bad pass here and there including one in the preseason, and I remember occasionally getting in some trouble because he was too calm on the ball - but huge errors that gifted points that you refer to - you'll have to remind me of those because I don't remember them.

Nothing radical - just a little ridiculous. Even EJ has continued to learn and strive as a player. His ceiling may not be particularly high but I don't see how you can compare Ream and EJ. Totally different player and totally different situation.

He's been consistently good for Red Bull and the kid was a rookie playing a position that typically takes some seasoning.

All I'm saying is that I don't think he's particularly gaffe prone - and while he has his flaws - a little soft, still sorting out positioning/reading of the game - and who knows if he will become a star for the National team, but I guarantee that the kid is going to continue to learn and improve.

And let's remember that all our defenders have flaws that can result in goals for the other team - rash tackles, own goals, red cards, penalties, etc. Who among the pool isn't capable of a game changing error?

1 person likes this.