Is this the strongest hexagonal field in Concacaf history?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to say that it is. The 6 best teams made it to the finals.

2. El_Tri89

El_Tri89 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Earth
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I believe so, I don't see any true minnows in the group. Mexico is playing a level better than everyone else in the group but after that everyone is at about the same level. USA and Costa Rica are good at times but inconsistent. Jamaica and Honduras can pull off an upset and will be tough in their home games. Panama might be the weakest link in the group but they have proved to be pesky opponents.
    I see the group ending up like this
    1. Mexico
    2. USA
    3. Honduras
    4. Costa Rica (playoff)
    5. Jamaica
    6. Panama

If the US can get their game together they will finish #2 but that is a big if, I haven't seen much in the semifinals round to give me optimism but have a gut feeling that they pull it off.
    In any case the margin between #2-4 will be slim so the order may be off. But those are my top four.

3. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Costa Rica looks like the weakest of the bunch so long as they have Pinto. Panama is looking much better then Costa Rica and Honduras now looks better then both of them

I would go with

Mexico
    USA
    Honduras
    Panama
    Jamaica
    Costa Rica

4. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Been saying it for a long time.........YES

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree

Both Panama and Jamaica have demonstrated in recent years to be better than Costa Rica. I think its possible that Costa Rica finishes last in the Hex.........not because they suck but because there are some good teams in the hex.

6. El_Tri89

El_Tri89 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Earth
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah i haven't many Panama matches but after thinking through it again Costa Rica has been playing poorly as of late. Jamaica i think is still unproven, they beat USA and gave them trouble in the U.S but then again who didn't in that group? The Hex will be a proving ground for Jamaica and Panama. And the US needs to improve drastically because there are no minnows in the group where they will get an easy 6 points. As for Mexico, no team is good enough to beat them at Azteca and you could say that Mexico has an easy 6 points from Costa Rica, for some reason we just own them.

Crazy_Yank repped this.
  7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mexico will probably win the group. I agree that the US needs to play better in hex but given their trajectory I have no doubt that they will. I don't care if they finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd as long as they qualify.

8. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    What I learn from last hex is that things change from game to game the hex is REALLY long it gives teams time to make adjustments .Costa Rica was playing at a low level because of the coaching chance but after the second Mexico game thing are looking up is like a totally different team.

To me Costa Rica got the job done we outplayed El Salvador in both of the games(ESL got lucky in the first) and destroy Guyana.People think we are weak just because Mexico beat us really bad but Mexico is just to good right now.

9. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Costa Rica didn't look good in either El Salvador game its just El Salvador was worse but no one in the Hex will be that weak. Costa Rica has the players to do much better but Pinto has yet to show he can get them to perform. Driving up the score against Guyana doesn't really translate to what will happen in the Hex all the other teams in the hex have looked better then Costa Rica

10. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    CR laid down to Mexico and took on a Guyana team that didn't care at that point & a Salvadorian team with a terrible replacement coach if anything you got a free ride to the hex.

I say the biggest fight will be between Panama & Honduras. Panama gave Honduras a punch in the mouth early on but this did help Honduras come back stronger.

11. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    I do agree everyone else have look better but is not like the gap is really big sure we might end up last but you act like we are gonna be a push over and like I said in my other post time changes things.

12. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't think Costa Rica will be a pushover I just don't see them doing better then the other teams based on what I have seen so far. Perhaps they turn it around I just don' think they will under Pinto

13. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Costa Rica won´t be a push over.......All six teams have a realistic chance of going to the world cup. In past Hexs, at most I saw 4 that would fight for the 3 or 3.5 spots and the other 2 it would be a game of who finishes 5th and 6th...and I would be right.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think this is the strongest Hex ever. No minnows here. I think the distance between the third and 6th teams (and probably second as well) will be very small.

If I had to pick:
    1. Mexico. Class of CONCACAF by some margin.
    2. USA.
    3. Panama
    4. Honduras (wins PO)
    5. Costa Rica
    6. Jamaica

I'll admit I like Panama more than most. If they would have had to win that last game to get in, they would have.

I think we will send 4 to the WC. I like whomever finishes fourth to beat New Zealand.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe so.
    It is going to be fun to watch yet nerve-racking for most teams.

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is a great field.

1. Mexico
    2. USA
    3. Jamaica
    4. Honduras (Lose to New Zealand)
    5. Costa Rica
    6. Panama.

I see Mexico & USA going 1 & 2 but I can see anyone of the 4 teams getting 3rd.

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You really do rate Jamaica highly.
    When push comes to shove I don't see them winning too many road matches. Heck, they only got one point in the last round on the road.
    I think that will keep them from qualifying. (But you never know.)

18. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I do think that the top four teams in the Hex will make it to Brazil. I just can't see any of these teams failing to win a playoff against Oceania.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The 2002 HEX seemed stronger. Costa Rica were obviously stronger. But also Mexico were much more lethal in attack (Blanco and Borgetti in their prime, compared to out-of-sorts Chicharito). USA were probably about the same. T&T had some big names in their starting XI yet managed only 1 victory.

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know when the draw is for the HEX???

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 7th I think

IASocFan repped this.
  22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah Costa Rica and the U.S. were stronger, but this Panama team is better than that T&T team. Blanco and Borgetti are legends no doubt, but this Mexico team is way better and better coached. This team is filled with U-17 WC champions, U-20 WC 3rd place winners, and Olympic champions!!

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.concacaf.com/page/WCQ/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2971434,00.html

IASocFan repped this.