Is This Team Good Enough

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by ErnieE, Apr 12, 2009.

1. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I find it odd that we are watching the same team. In game one, Guevera fresh off his great effort with his national team, controlled the play, made excellent short passes, and scored, what 2 goals? This followed with a game where everything was balloon ball: you are correct, in this lame system, players such as guevera have no role. What are they supposed to do when brennan, serious, the keeper et al do nothing all night but send the ball into the stratosphere? Even the throw ins are handled this way? This is football played by high school, womens leagues, and i suppose, crap managers/coaches in mls, because it is not successful at any major level. Ask the Dutch, the Italians, the Portugese for their opinion on this style. Even David Villa would get lost out their, so don't blame guevera, blame the coach, and the defenders.....oh, i forgot the spainards, the team and country that will win the world cup next year.

2. acman

acman New Member

May 26, 2007
    i think Guevara has more than enough ball. Carver has given him the Paul Scholes role where everything goes through him. I agree - its Carver's fault. Maybe I am expecting too much from these guys. Lets face it - these guys aren't good enough to play in Europe. We just have to accept the fact that we're never going to get great quality here and enjoy it for what it is - a bloody good day out.

These guys can't string passes together. Plus everyone talks about route one football - well that goes back to my original point about how bad Serioux and Harmse are together.

3. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    TFC only added Serioux and Dero, same style, coaching, approach to the game as the past 2 years. Only reason these 2 were even signed was because of their desire to play for their hometown.

TFC plays a long ball, kick and rush style and arguably the two best players on the squad are more suited for pass and move, possession styles of play, simply doesnt make sense.

TFC will be the Raptors and Leafs of MLS in a few years if the coaching/management team is not replaced. Will be lucky to make the playoffs, Chicago should negotiate 1st place fairly easily and if Colombus and New York hit form theyll be fighting for the next two places. New England if Ralston and Twellman return could give the Revs a shot too. Only way TFC makes the playoffs is in the wild card positions and even still need to drastically alter the way they play and grind out some results. 1-1 draws at home to Dallas(one of the worst teams in the MLS) cant happen.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Vitti, Cronin and Frei...

5. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    The only real moves or shall I say supposed upgrades in the off season were the acquisitions of Serioux and Derosario. Cronin, Frei are rookies both have stepped up and played big minutes but really rookies are not expected to do so their first season.

Vitti to be honest doesnt look like he'll score more than 5 goals in this league especially with TFC. I hope for the best and wish he'd prove me wrong for the sake of TFC, but I just dont see it as of yet, I know he hasnt gotten opportunities but still.. the style of play TFC plays doesnt help either.

6. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    Repped.

My feelings exactly. Enjoy it for what it is, a great day out. I've said it before I'll say it again. 2 hours at BMO beats watching soccer on TV on the other side of the pond.

7. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It is not about comparing MLS with the EPL etc, it is about comparing TFC with other MLS teams who are more entertaining, and better managed. Most of us would agree, that a successful TFC in MLS is just fine (we know it is not top quality). However, TFC has yet to demonstrate that it is good enough to compete even at this level for sustained periods. What little I know of the USL indicates TFC would have trouble even in that league.

8. hammersandTFC

hammersandTFC New Member

May 19, 2008
    brantf
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Smenge don't be ridiculous, TFC would clobber USL sides week in, week out.

9. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wouldn't go so far on that.

Most USL-1 sides, yes, but all of them? Hmmm...

Outside of the Whitecaps and Impact, I could see possibly Puerto Rico and Portland as sides that could compete with (and might possibly even defeat) TFC.

Watch this week's matches on USLlive.com and it may give you some idea. It really is good football to watch outside of the MLS.

10. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So far, after a few meaningful games against USL teams, all I have to support my argument are facts.

11. alexb746

alexb746 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Amen to that.

12. hammersandTFC

hammersandTFC New Member

May 19, 2008
    brantf
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not saying TFC would win every game, but in general, there is a vast difference between the 2 leagues. You can't base your opinion on what happened last year in concacaf champions qualifying.

13. acman

acman New Member

May 26, 2007
    How would anyone know how strong USL is? I've never seen it on TV. What station is it on? Where is everyone basing their opinions on?

14. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There is a service called USLlive (available at USLlive.com) where you can watch USL-1 matches for free this season. You need to sign up for an account, however.

USLlive works pretty much the same way as MLS Match Center does, as it also archives the previously-played matches. The commentary's not all that great (some of the MLS commentary isn't either!), but the football's great to watch.

15. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    I started this thread by asking the question "Is this team good enough?"

Regretfully the answer is NO!!!

Our expectations for a better season show us fourth from the bottom of the total league. Our goal scorers have not shone and attacking passing plays are few and far between.

The poll for tomorrow shows 50% expect a two goal defeat.

Mo and John get the team over performing.

16. vita666420

vita666420 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Scarborough
    I think Montreal and Vancouver would give us a real run for our money in the Concocaf qualifying this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again it should be written in every TFC managers contract that winning the Canadian Cup is part of their contract or they can be dismissed.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So what if a manager has us doing well in the league, then Montreal or Vancouver, the latter is soon to join us at the MLS level, has a good run. Sack the manager anyway?