Is this season salvageable?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by LordRobin, May 26, 2009.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not competant when it comes to analyzing what makes a soccer team work or not work, so I'd like the opinions of some people who are.

What's the best we can hope for this season? I'd say playoffs are pretty much out of the question at this point, barring some miracle that improves the team in a huge way in the next few weeks. At this point, I'd be satisfied with demonstrating competance. (And a goal at home would be nice.) Are 10wins too much too much to wish for?

What do the City Stars need to prevent 2009 from being an utter trainwreck? And is it too late to get it?

------RM

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's difficult to go up to the "bigs". Even with a pre-season, a new gaffer, and a few new faces, you'd think these lads would know how to play some sort of decent football. Instead, we get 4 (?) ejections in the first six matches, 2 goals for and 12 against in six matches, and a bunch of guys and a manager who seem to have no clue.
    I think the season's an utter train wreck. I just hope that the main sponsors have patience. I hate to see this Club leave in two seasons.
    I will admit that I thought last Friday's match atmosphere was one of the best I've been to since City started. I don't really know why.

3. budfrog532

budfrog532 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    ??? Were you at the Championship match or any of the matches against Pittspuke? Not even close. Sorry, but can't agree with you on that.

The best by far was the first season (can't remember against which club), when we had a group of coaches from all over the world in Cleveland for training...probably had 150 people singing in the Green Army (in a total crowd of 1,200 or so) ---- fantastic.

Agree with the rest of your post, though, it has been disappointing. I really thought they were starting to build on something with the improvement from the Rochester match to the Portland match to the Minnesota match. It seemed like the back line was starting to get it right, and we just needed to get some more control in the midfield....and then along came Friday.

Just another season as a diehard Cleveland sports fan.... :):mad::mad:

4. Rich P

Rich P Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Cleveland, OH

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least we can't get much worse.

6. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Isn't Cleveland getting Otieno back for this weekend? That should help the defense...

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I love Musa, adding individuals isn't going to help much of anything. We need to start playing as a team.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to make people made but I believe that a good amount of the offseason additions do not have enough quality to play at this level. I put a lot on the new manager and the front office who contructed the team. The players are trying to do the best they can but if they are swinging above their weight who's fault is that?