Is this anti-gay?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by quicksand, Nov 13, 2003.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Actually, Jed's the smart one.

And he has a, um, a habit of saying things that are less than nice about homosexuals.

see as reference: Rilya Wilson.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You seem a little oversensitive and defensive to me. While his comments werent really classy, they arent really that offensive either.

deal with it..

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Just to be difficult, who exactly gets to decide that this wasn't offensive?

Do I get to choose what words are offensive to blacks, jews, etc.? I would personally find the suggestion that my extinction would be a benefit to my country to be offensive, but maybe I need to lighten up.

4. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    please do.

"just to be difficult", you can technically argue that he wasnt even refering to gays.

5. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Where did he refer to gays? I mean I could say that I don't like Black Forest Cake and with your thinking that could be a slam against people of German heritage. This is right there with the over PCing of America.

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I could technically argue that I'm not talking about you when I talk about ignorant dumbass fuckwits who need an instruction manual to tie their own shoes, too.

7. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    oh my, I must have struck a nerve! :D all that venom!

Ah yes..., I am ignorant b/c I dont champion homosexuality with open arms, or cater to oversensitive piss ants in the politics forums.. :rolleyes:

Not that I have to prove anything to you, but I have a few friends that are gay, and I have no problem with it, as they mind their business and I mind mine.

My problem is the oversensitive babies that always find something to bitch about..

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Personally, I don't think it was necessarily just about gays, but mainly the left wing in general he was talking about. But it's pretty hard to say something like that and not understand when people assume he was referring to homosexuals. Witness the amount of gay jokes that are said once anyone mentions anything about San Francisco. I don't think it's completely irrational to think he might be referring to that.

But of course, George W. also didn't actually lie about Saddam having WMD's either... :rolleyes:

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I work in San Francisco and it is a polyglot. One can think of hippies (Haight-Ashbury), beatniks (North Beach), progressive politics (Matt Gonzalez), ultra-wealthy (Nob Hill, Pacific Heights), immigrants (Chinatown), gays (Castro), surfers, granola girls, and 11 billionaires that probably won't vote for anyone named Bush. The city has a great culinary and musical tradition, and it is the financial hub of the west coast. On top of that, it has a reasonably clean environment and is a great investment environment. Why would someone hope for the city's decline?

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Bitter closetted homosexual or just stupid hayseed.

All I can come up with.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    a great city without a doubt and SF is always going to thrive IMO.

actually the biggest threat to SF's quality of life is your "home-deprived citizens" or whatever the PC term for BUMS is nowadays. the city was literally one big open-air homeless shelter when I was there a few yrs. ago. if anyone remembers NYC of the late 80s-early 90s, well double the homeless population (per capita) and do nothing to discourage them coming to SF. a disaster waiting to happen for the huge SF tourist industry.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i agree san fran is a great town

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Gay and Lesbian communities really need to grow up. They seem to take every comment as if it's aimed at them and therefore offensive.

14. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Doyle, your nerve cells have been eroded by years of bitter cold in the numbing tundra that is Alberta.

EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD is more sensitive than you.

15. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a conservative on most views, but a social liberal on others.

I just hate whiners.

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, those homeless congregate up and down Market Street, but especially near Civic Center Plaza. The homeless are a huge drain on local resources. What can you do? Clean 'em up, feed 'em, put a roof over their heads and provide job training? Problem is that many of them have mental and physical health issues that would make Noella Bush blush with pride.

17. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    There you go. You either institutionalize them or let them roam. Califas has made its choice.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Castro: You know, Comrades, this whole revolution think isn't really working out...we should just give it up...we could move to America! They love me up there--they even named a street after me in San Francisco...

(aide whispers something in his ear)

Castro: It's full of WHAT?!?!?!

19. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    :)

20. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Ronald Reagan says "Hello."

21. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    When things like the Matthew Shepard incident happen, and especially considering members of the religious right were there to protest the poor boys funeral, its likely to make people just a little sensitive. So, when you talk about the people of a city known for its gay population being an "endangered species", it's likely to touch a nerve.

That and the fact that AIDS is epidemic in the gay community his comment is just wrong.

If you told a joke by saying, "We should just drag the state of Texas into the 21st Century." I think perhaps a few african-americans would be offended.