Is this anti-gay?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by quicksand, Nov 13, 2003.

1. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    --
    "It looks like the people of San Francisco are an endangered species, which may not be a bad thing. That's probably good news for the country."
    --

Considering San Francisco is known for its gay community, and the gay community has been plagued by AIDS, I would say that is a rather STUPID thing to say.

To me it reads as if he's saying it's good news for the country to have less gays and liberals who tolerate them...gay bashing? Perhaps.

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Say it with me,

"I will not be so sensitive. I will not be so sensitive. I will not be so sensitive."

There, we all feel better now.

NON-ISSUE

4. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I am pissed about the Gary Coleman comment. I didn't even think about the SF comment.

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Well, I don't know that it's a "non-issue", but it's certainly an extremely stupid thing to say, especially considering, as was pointed out, how bad the AIDS epidemic here has been. And Willie Brown giving his stamp of approval, so to speak, will hardly put an end to the story.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jeb says something obnoxious, the Gay and Lesbian Task Force gets a quote in the media. Everyone wins!

I wonder how Noella is doing with her rehab.

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    No kidding!

Can I get a, "What YOU talkin' bout Mr. Jeb?"

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'd like to see what the opinion of the right wing would be if an SF liberal were to say something similar about old Jewish people in Florida or Mexicans in Southern California, or hardcore conservatives anywhere.

9. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    They would go apesh$t if Willie Brown had said that the extinction of say.... farmers in Nebraska was a good thing.

It was a stupid thing to say but not wholly unexpected nor am I particularity outraged or offended.

However, I would bet you alot of money if the tables were turned Hannity, Limbaugh and all of Faux News would be pounding the table in indignation about how the liberal coastal elite hate the hardworking farmers of America and blah blah blah.

The right is just better at hyperbole and blowing things up (See: Clinton, **************). Perhaps it's because they have no conscience? I think it is more because they believe the means justify the ends.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to the prophets, San Francisco is the city of the seven hills, the Antichrist, the sinful harlot Babylon from the Biblical book of Revelations, which will challenge the heavens with its evil and force the apocaliptic battle of Armaggedon.

So, don't worry about it, San Francisco won't go extinct. Not until the end times, anyway.

:D

11. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ah yes it's so clear from reading the article that he was talking about gay people. (copious amounts of eye-rolling)

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    If you bookend the word "rolleyes" with colons, you can actually show us what you're doing. It's neat!!!

13. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Or the next earthquake.

14. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ahh, but not copiously! and what does my colon have to do with this anyway?!?!

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    This is funny stuff....Not too long ago, Stanford changed their mascot from an Indian to a color. Cardinal. Not the bird, the color.

Yeah, you can be sure that the old color wheel won't be whining about being offended like the injuns and birds.

BTW, Mike Royko had it nailed a long time ago, the last time da Bears had a decent team in the playoffs against the 49ers - "Chicago is the city of broad shoulders, San Francisco is the city of swiveling hips"

16. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Cool. Now I know. I'll use this a lot in this forum :D

17. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    I'm gonna admit here that I watch - nay, love - Charmed and this has really touched a nerve with me...

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "By and large San Franciscans have a good sense of humor and will not be dreadfully offended," Johnston said, adding that he wished people in politics would also "lighten up."

Does this guy actually live in San Francisco? San Franciscans are the most arrogant, least humorous people in the world, outside of Berkeley.

19. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a funny one ....

Wouldn't it be funny if some NRA lunatic opened fire with an Uzi at the next RNC convention?? Isn't the thought of all those dead Republicans, killed by one of their own ilk, absolutely hilarious?!? ROTFLMAO!!

hmmmm ......

blood pressure rising ....

friggin' liberals ......

that's hitting below the belt ......

What's that?! You guys find that offensive? Aw c'mon, lighten up! It was just a joke! Get over yourself! :D

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree. Especially that baseball guy, Barry Bonds.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well i'm not sure he was referring to the gay population in SF, but he was NOT referring to republicans... so the lie to cover his tracks kinda makes it seem like that's exactly what he was saying - either way, it was a stupid ass thing to say - the funniest thing is that jeb bush makes the president look like a jeopardy grand champion, he's dumber than a sack of dirt floating in a tub of RC cola

22. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Since when did we all put stock in what a politician says?

23. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Berkeley ain't exactly a "basket of fruit," to quote Baloo the bear from The Jungle Story. But if you drop your keys on Castro Street, better kick 'em over to Market before you pick 'em up.

24. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Hahahaha!!! A gay joke about San Francisco!! F'ing hilarious...I just noticed there's alot of gay people in the Castro, too!! Holy Crap!!! :rolleyes:

Actually, San Franciscans's aren't really too bothered by this hick. He's the one that should be worried by it, as well as all right wingers. It was a really, really uncivil comment that only shows how classless some conservatives can be.

25. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Now that's funny.