Is there going to be a 20 goal scorer this year?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by yellowbismark, Jul 8, 2005.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early on in the season several players started hot, but we've seen injuries to players high in the scoring charts like Twellman, Ching, EJ, Ruiz, and others, not to mention Donovan has only played in about 2/3 of LA's games and we are now past the half-way point of the season and the top scorers are Noonan and Cunningham with 8. Ruiz, Jacqua, Moreno have 7.

Will someone turn it up a notch and hit 20 by season's end?

Noonan is probably the best candidate he has played 13 games and has 8, New England has only played 15 games, and they have many weapons so he will get his chances I think.

2. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i doubt noonan will. isn't he gonna miss the rest of july with the nats?

3. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    There is no "c" in Nate Jaqua.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Ruiz or Eddie could play more games than they do b/c of injuries and internationals either of them could have pulled it off.

Its difficult today to hit 20 goals unless you are playing 26-32 games per year.

I think at the end of the year the winner will be in the 16-18 range

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not likely with the Gold Cup bogarting our best players for several weeks.

6. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    You have to go with guys who aren't called-up much: Twellman, Jaqua, Cunningham, etc.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cunningham would be a good choice but I think it will be hard for him without better service (at least he's got 5-6 games vs RSL and Chivas to fatten up on before the seasons out)...Jaqua has been a pleasant surprise this year. Twellman has hit the 20 goal plateau before, if he didn't get injured he would have a great shot for this season.

8. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Even if he wasn't going to be gone with the Nats, this is something that goes against his chances. The more dangerous players a team has, the less a single player is going to score.

9. ciuperci

ciuperci New Member

May 10, 2004
    I'd bet on Jaqua. Especially if he steps up to start taking our PKs. Look for him to add another 1 or 2 tom vs. New England.

10. Crapids fan

Crapids fan New Member

May 27, 2005
    Thornton CO
    When was the last time someone hit 20 in MLS.
    Scoring does seem to be up this year, but I dont see anyone hitting 20 at this point.

11. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    Hear me now and believe me later, Ante Razov gets 20 if he stays healthy. He's off to a great start with the Metros and seems to fit in well. I was pissed when the Metro signed him but I'll gladly eat crow if he helps us get to Pizza Hut Park in November (or October).