Is there an era in which either Europe or S-A was truly dominant ?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by tony-soprano37, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    #76 Perú FC, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    There are specific points that have to be clarified:

I didn't mean Nantes as a continental-class team, but on a team in a different category to the current. They were the French champions, had been on the top of their competition at late 70's and had very good players like Trossero, Bossis, Michel, Tusseau, Rampillon, Amisse or Pécout.

Then, we've to remember that Kempes didn't play the role of the natural goalscorer, but the link from midfield to the attack (despite he won twice the Trofeo Pichichi and was the top goalscorer of the 1979/80 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup) and probably we shouldn't be guided by his scoring production in individual matches, but all those who remember his spell in Spain recognize him as the figure who held Valencia at the first European stage at that time and, yes, left a deep mark because he's widely regarded as the best player of all-time of the club (clearly over names like Ayala, Puchades, Mendieta, Wilkes, Mundo or Villa).
    Personally, I'd say that he showed the talent to be considered one of the best players in the world between 1976 and 1980.

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    To be fair, I think Kopa is in the same ratio of Schiaffino in an all-time comparison.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Kempes was sometimes underrated *at least compared to Rossi, Keegan Rummenigge ...in the same era ...

Your'e right that Kempes was NOT a striker as many thought or mistaken. In fact he played more in MF (usually wide left) than as a FW (behind striker)

For example this is Argentina 1978 WC team formation : 4 3 3 and 3 4 3
    --------16 Ortiz 14 Luque 4 Bertoni
    --10 Kempes--- 2 Ardiles---- 6 Gallego
    20 Tarantini 19 Passarella 7 L. Galván 15 Olguin
    --------------------- 5 Fillol

For Valencia he played often as left FW in 4 3 3 at his PEAK. and as 2nd FW in 4 4 2 in his last few seasons 80-84

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Once again results matter and you are trying to diminish them to use opinions. Brasil was the best team going into 2010 WC. Yet they failed to win hence Spain is considered the best team in 2010. Only thing that matters is the results not how they looked before or how many goals they scored. If not I can name five teams that looked better than spain during 2010 WC. But the only team that raised the trophy was Spain.

[]__[]

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your best European players are going against the "second tier" of the South American greatest for that decade. Pele, DiStefano and Garrincha completely outclass their European counterparts, where only Puskas is at that level. After that you have Didi, Schiaffino and Kopa, then below them come Gento, Bozsik, Rial, Coutinho, etc. South America also has in the Santos duo, superior fullbacks to the European ones.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As usual, you do not address my points.

What is the source for this? Your links do not say that at all.The second link says that he was the most important player, but also that he played during a time when Valencia was a force.

This is ofc a rhetorical question because I know that you will not provide sources anyway.

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Also a question to the others, how does fare Zizinho against Schiaffino? Who was the 'better' player and achieved the most?

8. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think i am gonna stop talking to you because i get very angry with this nonsense.
    i know results matter but you seem to be incredible dumb.

lets say the referee disallows a goal form team A a mistake because clearly it was a goal.
    then he refuses to give team A a penalty wich they deserved
    then in the last few minutes he gives a penalty to team B but it was not a penalty but a false dive from a player of team B. they score the penalty and win.
    yes indeed team B has won but that doesn't make them the best.

this insane hanging on results results and more results by you is silly.

there are other factors suchas bad luck, bad referee descisions etc etc that can decide the outcome of a match.

lets look at a different sport.. take cycling.
    who in you're eyes is the betetr tour de france cyclist ??
    the man who wins it 1 time and never ever finish in the top 10 again.
    or the man who never wins but has 5 second places, 3 third places and 3 fourth palces ??

also to take into consideration is the level of opponents, the quality of the opponents.

take for exampel boxing.......
    being a heavyeight champion in todays weak era of heavyweight boxers or being ranked nr. 2 for many a years in a strong era with atg fighters like muhammed ali, george foreman etc etc.

you blindly only look at results and accomplishments.
    and ofcourse they count for something but also the way how the accomplishments are achieved and the manner of luck or bad luck etc etc should be taken into consideration.

another example...... the earlie to mid 1970's.
    first ajax won the european cup 3 times then bayern munich won it 3 times.

does that make them equal ???? ofcourse not.
    ajax was 3 years in a row on a superb level as if from another planet. they totally dominated and humiliated their opponents.
    bayenr did not win with such ease as ajax did.
    so allthough both won it 3 times and the ahcievements where the same. ajax should be ranked much higher for that certain period then bayern for their period.

9. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

You keep talking about bad luck and bad referee decisions but you cant come up with any to refute the results I brought up. As for being a HW champion I'll but the klitschko brothers vs any champion of any era and they will win at least half or more of those bouts.

[]__[]

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I had stated my opinion a few times ...
    - better player is sometimes differently from another player who achieved more!
    - Zizihno was surely a "better player" while Shiaffino won the WC (achieved more)
    that's similar to a Zico vs Zidane. Zico was a better player (in skillset) but a Zidane achieved more ....

a "people's choices" and opnionated!

11. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this prooves that besides having no brain on football you also know shit on boxing.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's about even in talent, but surely Schiaffino by beating Zizinho at the Maracana in the biggest game of all deserves a higher ranking.

13. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know this must be some pretty excellent folklore for you (maybe nearly almost like Andy Linighan and his cup winning header for me) but I find it weird that someone can make the decision that one is better than the other by the width of one shock result in a team game.

14. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

LOL so you dont think the klitchkos can beat Tyson, Ali, Frasier?

[]__[]

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a team game but Schiaffino played better than Zizinho in that match, and it wasn't just any match.

Tyson pre-incarceration would beat either of them before twelve rounds. Ali at his best would outclass them with ease.

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I must confess that I'm impressed with your response because I don't believe you don't know a so popular opinion. In any case, if that's true, you can also check out these links:

http://www.ciberche.net/historia/la-historia-del-valencia/los-anos-70
    http://www.informavalencia.com/depo...o-del-mejor-de-todos-los-tiempos-mario-kempes
    http://m.golcaracol.com/futbol-inte...alencia-homenajeara-a-su-matador-mario-kempes
    http://www.somosche.com/wiki/Mario_Kempes
    http://www.levante-emv.com/deportes/2013/09/28/kempes-quise-volver/1036645.html
    http://deportes.terra.com/valencia/...1b7495e763211410VgnVCM20000099cceb0aRCRD.html
    http://www.antesydespues.com.ar/mario-kempes/

But if you prefer don't believe in any of them you can get many other sources by yourself if you're interested.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    both the klitschko brothers are/where champs because the heavyweight division of the last 15 years is extremely poor in quality.
    ali defenitely beats both klitschko's.
    so does tyson, foreman, frazier, liston, norton, holmes to name a few.

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    these statements have always amused me

how can anyone claim with any certainty that Ali could beat the Klitschko's or vice versa

its bizarre

Moishe repped this.
  19. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I feel it's hard to say, but I tend to consider better to Zizinho. He's described as one of a kind in the 40's, at a similar level of Moreno and Pedernera, and with more exciting skills and equally elegant posture than Schiaffino, but also much more polyfunctional to play as CM, WG or FW. At 19 he was one of the stars of Flamengo (alongside Domingos and Leonidas) that changed the status of the club winning 3 consecutive Campeonatos Carioca and making it one of the country's most popular. At late 40's he was popularly considered the best Brazilian player ever ahead of Friedenreich and Leonidas.

In any case, they were found in the 1950 World Cup and despite Schiaffino was a instrumental player for "El Maracanazo", Zizinho was selected as the best player of the tournament. Then Schiaffino had a remarkable spell in AC Milan and played well the 1954 World Cup while Zizinho refuse to play the 1954 and 1958 editions because considered that he was already out of shape (32-36 years old).

On the other hand, Schiaffino won more. He played for better clubs like Peñarol and AC Milan.

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Why do you think so?, every report of that game indicates that the best Uruguayan player at the decisive match or the most influential was Obdulio Varela, then probably Roque Máspoli, which is understandable due to the best defensive game of Uruguay.

Zizinho was selected as the best player of the whole tournament. I think the Brazilian won the individual duel.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Examples of authoritative sources who saw it that way? No, you don't have to post the articles but curious about who assessed it in that way.

How was this established? By opinion polls? Votes among journalists?

The FIFA Golden Ball is a retrospective award, assigned in the late 90s or so. I've read some sources as well who considered Schiaffino the best forward of the tournament, making the ideal teams (though journalists could hardly watch and assess all matches).
    Do you know by which organization or publication this 'best player' title was assigned?

EDIT:

I see you repeat it again.

By who exactly?

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    One of the best little gems I found a while ago on the internet is that Vittorio Pozzo had both Schiaffino and Zizinho in his own personal best XI of the 1950 World Cup.

Williams (England); Gonzales (Uruguay), Nilsson (Sweden); Bauer (Brazil), Nordahl (Sweden), Wright (England); Ghiggia (Uruguay), Zizinho (Brazil), Mortenson (England), Schiaffino (Uruguay), Finney (England).

He also mentions some other notable performers.
    http://www.archiviolastampa.it/comp...,4/articleid,1602_02_1950_0171_0004_22400812/

Ofc, he wasn't objective like a mathematician either (he was a known Anglophile) but a two times World Cup winning coach (1934 & 1938) was talking here.

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    #98 Perú FC, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    I think you're doing the same that in the case of Kempes (which I hope has been clear for you mate) asking about so popular opinions like you really don't know about them.

I can't determine who is an authoritative source and I couldn't watch that tournament by myself, so like any other person less than 80 years and not present in every game of the championship in Brazil I can only guide me by the official information (FIFA) and the ton of reports that you can find easily in internet.

To submit for a legitimate doubt I think you'd have to detail what are the sources that you point where apparently Schiaffino was the best player of the tournament ahead of Zizinho (personally I never read one) and the reasons because those might have more credibility than the most, almost all the rest.

Maybe you or anyone have new and unreleased information and would be very interesting to know about it, but until then I don't think it's enough to be debatable.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is a so popular opinion that Zizinho was at the late 40s seen as the best ever by popular opinion?

As far as Kempes is concerned, you said that he was "clearly" over other historic Valencia players. I'm not so sure. The individual awards that Kempes received (like Onze d'Or) are based on his 1978 World Cup with the national team.
    Meanwhile, some other Valencia players received 'best player in Spain' awards (for example Wilkes), 'best midfielder at Champions League' (for example Mendieta) distinctions and so on. Kempes never received such distinctions based on his club performances with Valencia, except the topscorer titles, and his match ratings are plain poor.

To state it clear: I don't know whether Zizinho or Schiaffino was better, that is why I ask.

I'm not so interested though in modern day popular opinions about who was more skilful, and if it is said that Zizinho was by acclamation seen as the best ever at the late 40s I like to know how this view was established and recorded. I don't have to know the exact article but whether this is traceable instead of just hearsay.

25. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no its not.
    its a matter of looking into the matter. for exampel what are the klitschko's storng points and weak points.
    what where ali's strong and weak points...
    etc etc etc.
    takign all these things into consideration then its easie to predict the outcome.
    i have sene hundreds and hudnreds of boxing match many of them several times also i have boxed myself for a few years so i do consider myself to know more on boxing then the averag person.

take for isntance vitali klitschko. a weak spot of vitali was that he barely threw any left hooks. most of the times its jab, jab, jab and then his right hand.
    also he throws way to few uppercuts.

as for ali against vlad klitschko. vlad neevr met an opponent like ali. his pace is to slow for ali his stamina also (remmber in ali's tiem they fought longer then 12 rounds). vlad is way tto slow for ali. he is used to much more stationairy opponents.
    floyd patterson was one of the fastest heavyweights remember when he and ali faced eachother ?
    ali would be clowning and folling around for the first 6 rounds probably every so often put a flury of punches on vlads face. most probable outcoem would eb referee stoppign the match in the later rounds.

besides muhammed ali faced much much stronger and tougher opponents. only type of fighters ali had trouble with are the swarmers type of fighters (example joe frazier).
    but the out boxers, the sluggers, etc etc those type of fighters ali ahd never any trouble with.

and both the klitschko's where msot certainly not from the swarmer type.