Is there an alternative to playoffs?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MLS Detroit, Jan 19, 2016.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team is rebranded as the Columbus Crew

Achowat, El Naranja and Elninho repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I liked the CCL better with the qualifying round.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if they renamed the Supporters' Shield something more meaningful like "The Regular Season Championship".

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who is "they"? The Supporters? You know, the people who actually give the award? Seems unlikely.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Precourt will send his hitsquad after you for not saying Columbus Crew SC.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't be the first time someone got killed and buried face down in a shallow grave in Oklahoma

[​IMG]

Won't be the last

bigredfutbol, JasonMa and Placid Casual repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Regular Season Champion is a derogatory term in America.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your mom is a regular season champion.

superdave and AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Mum is 80 years-old this year.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and still a champ.

:ninja: come on, you teed it up.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How would rock paper scissors work with 20 teams? Or even just the playoff teams, who would then be in a playoff of rock paper scissors instead of footie.
    I'm not saying it isn't a good solution, just that there might be some kinks to work out. Also, as an SKC fan, I am almost positive that Vermes will be throwing out whatever the hand signal for "high pressure" is every time. It might be seen through.
    Kind of like the playoffs, I guess...

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know how hard it is to find a good flannel shirt out here?

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want me to mail you one from Wal-Mart

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Why not a MLS League Champion and a MLS Cup Champion?

In England and others leagues you have both titles...

Regular Season*: MLS League Champion and runner-up CONCACAF Champions League
    MLS Cup**: MLS Cup Champion CONCACAF Champions League
    US Open Cup: US Open Cup Champion CONCACAF Champions League

US Super Cup: 3 US Champions (preseason tournament).

4 domestic titles and 1 international title.

* With a more balanced schedule, only home and away games inside conference, and home or away games between conferences. With 20 clubs this will mean 28 games. Saving here, to accomodate MLS Cup expansion.

** Including all MLS clubs.
    1st round: bottom 4 clubs from each conference (qualifying round)
    2nd round: 4 clubs from round 1 + 12 new entries=16 clubs
    third round: 8 clubs
    4th round: 4 clubs
    5th round: 2 clubs

Each competition should mean a champion title....

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, hey, it's the guy who thinks more trophies means more interest.

Doesn't work that way.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans haven't shown much interest in the CONCACAF Champions League or U.S. Open Cup relative to the regular season.
    There are people who complain that the English League Cup (Capital One Cup) is not necessary.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #92 Paul Berry, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    It's only necessary for Football League coffers.

How do I block you? :p

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the alternative is having your team win the championship by virtue of a result they do not even participate in, like what happened to Leicester, count me out. What an anti-clamatic way to win a title.

19. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I whole-heartedly agree. I'm glad Leicester City won the title. But watching on TV from your kitchen seems like the least exciting way for a team to win the title.

The problem with it is the only way the European model works is if everyone plays everyone home and away. In the U.S., it's impossible because we're not going to stop at 20 clubs, or even 24 (46 game season !).

In Western Europe (everything west of Poland not counting Italy or any of the Scandinavian countries) the population is 320.5 million. The U.S. has 318.9 million people.

Could you imagine Europeans being happy if England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, France, Monaco, Luxembourg, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland only had 20 top flight professional teams in one league?

By my count, those countries have 192 teams in their 'top flight' league. 192. For 320 million people. The U.S. has 318.9 million and has 20 teams in the entire top flight.

We can handle more than 20 teams. We can handle 40 teams. Hell, we could handle even more.

But, playing everyone in a double-round robin is impossible. So, the championship will need to be decided some other way than 'the table'. A playoff is the only logical solution.

Would Europeans be happy if the UEFA Champions League only put all the teams that qualified into groups of 8 and whoever had the most points in their 14 games was crowned champions of Europe? No? Exactly. They want a playoff there. Because they realize that's the only fair way to determine a champion when you're dealing with that many teams.

Europeans already like playoffs. Why there's an issue with the Americans using playoffs is beyond me.

20. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I'm not against playoffs. However regular season should mean something more.

But doesn't make sense a regular season champ if the Schedule isn't balanced, at least in each conference clubs should have the same games.

With this model a overall ranking winner could claim the title.

Because all clubs in MLS will play the same games, only with a small difference, interconference games, some teams will play home and others away.

After a MLS Champion you could have another competition MLS Cup.

Regular season position will determine in wich phase teams will entry, and against who they play.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than being denoted league champion, what MORE could the MLS Supporter's Shield winner mean?

blacksun and KCbus repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there, done that. Whatever happened to the Atlanta Apollos, Atlanta Chiefs (1), Atlanta Chiefs (2), Baltimore Bays, Baltimore Comets, Boston Beacons, Boston Minutemen, Calgary Boomers, California Surf, Caribous of Colorado, Chicago Mustangs, Chicago Sting, Cleveland Stokers, Connecticut Bicentennials, Dallas Tornado, Denver Dynamos, Detroit Cougars, Detroit Express, Edmonton Drillers, Fort Lauderdale Strikers (1), Golden Bay Earthquakes, Hartford Bicentennials, Houston Hurricane, Houston Stars, Jacksonville Tea Men, Kansas City Spurs, Las Vegas Quicksilvers, Los Angeles Aztecs, Los Angeles Wolves, Memphis Rogues, Miami Gatos, Miami Toros, Minnesota Kicks, Minnesota Strikers, Montreal Olympique. Montreal Manic, New England Tea Men, New York Cosmos, New York Generals, Oakland Clippers, Oakland Stompers, Philadelphia Atoms, Philadelphia Fury, Portland Timbers (1), Rochester Lancers, Saint Louis Stars, San Antonio Thunder, San Diego Jaws, San Diego Sockers, San Diego Toros, San Jose Earthquakes (1), Seattle Sounders (1), Tampa Bay Rowdies (1), Team America, Team Hawaii, Toronto Blizzard, Toronto Falcons, Toronto Metros, Tulsa Roughnecks (1), Vancouver Royals, Vancouver Whitecaps (1), Washington Darts, Washington Diplomats (1), Washington Diplomats (2) and Washington Whips?

Over-expansion. There was a paper on how and why NASL failed which was used as a basis for MLS. I'll try and dig it out.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would mean more if the best team won it, rather than the team with the best record. In my opinion FCD were a much better team than NYRB last season but FCD played in the harder conference.

However, playing a team on the other coast rather than 3 hours up the road may affect attendances.

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the question.

The SS recognizes the best record over the course of the season and grants automatic entry into the CCL. The only thing the MLS Cup does that the SS doesn't is garner you "league champion" status.

So how could the regular season mean more when the SS does everything the MLS Cup does, outside of granting the title "league champion?"

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing/

In how many of those countries is soccer the fifth most popular sport?

There are plenty of soccer teams in the US, including the 91 who enter the US Open Cup. When they pack their stadiums and turn a significant profit I'm sure they'll be worthy of consideration

MLS - 20 teams
    NASL - 12 teams
    USL - 28 teams = League 1 Ontario - 16 teams = Première Ligue de soccer du Québec - 7 teams
    PDL - 62 teams = Pacific Coast Soccer League - 9 teams

NCAA D1 - 212 teams