Is there a chance AEG could force a Freddy Adu trade to Metrostars?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by wufc, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you are talking about Bradley please expalin your point. ARe you saying Bradley just plays them for the sake of playing them..i think not. He and his staff help develop them nd prepare them so the can play on Saturdays.

2. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Even if ADU did get traded to the metros i'd imagine that his price tag'd be pretty high, isn't he one of MLS highest paid players? I think the metros would have to dump one or more of their marquee players to afford him (assuming of course that MLS wouldn't bend the rules to accomodate the Metros :rolleyes: )

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    And Bradley has won how many championships while "developing" his young players in NJ? I didn't see Gaven play any better than Freddy did at the U20s and yet everyone from Sigi Schmid on down piles on the youngest member of the team instead of useless midfielders like Dalby who coulnd't even pass the ball to his own team and Gaven who was pretty much invisible except for one or two good shots against the Germans.

Everybody from the Washington Post to BS wants Freddy traded to someplace where he will play more. I think Nowak knows what he's doing. Freddy will get better under Nowak teaching him that he's got to go 100% at all times, rather than having playing time handed to him when he doesn't deserve it. He's got to get hungry. There is some danger regarding his confidence, but I don't think that's something he lacks. His quote in the paper today about the team having won so he can't complain shows his maturity. I'm sure it was hard to get subbed out for Stokes. I think since Nana got a goal the other day Nowak rewarded him by keeping him in the game, but he looked fairly lost out there. Personally I would have taken him out and left Freddy out there, but it's hard to argue with success. Nowak's got to do what is best for the team as a whole, not just what Freddy wants. At 16 it may not be a bad thing for Freddy to hear "no". Why is everyone in such a rush for him to lead the world in scoring and playing time?

4. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No sir. Freddy is a salary exempt P-40..he doesn't count to the teams cap.

5. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    He should be given to any team who would actually use him. He was gifted to DC. If they don't need him, MLS should move him somewhere else. MLS rules were written on water. Every team knows that.

6. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Really? I never knew that, so who pays his salary? Sounds like a typical way for MLS to augment their favourite teams though, I shouldn't be surprised.

7. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All former P-40's (now called generation adidas palyers) do not count to the teams salary cap. The theory is player development in MLS for exceptional players...they can go to MLS and be developed with out a team taking a cap hit..its incentive to sign them to pro contratcs. Once a player either reaches a certian age or logs a cetrian amount of minutes in MLS he his removed from that list and his salary counts. Its pretty cloak and dagger on how that is figured out but its highly likely Adu will never count until he turns 18.

Others in MLS are:

Ryan Pore [KC]
    Q. Kirk [LA]
    C. Barrett [CHI]
    W. John [CHI]
    T. Ward [NY]
    S. Cronin [LA]

and about 10-15 or so more.

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet people think I'm some sort of loony crank when I criticize SEM and, specifically, syndicate ownership.

Do people really think these sorts of questions begin and end on Big Soccer and have no effect on the public perception of the league? In theory it's a great idea to avoid anti-trust laws (laws I mostly disagree with). In practice the lack of competition at the ownership level begins to seep through to the play on the field and the perceptions of the fans.

Sorry for the OT, but this was a good example and I'm not sure the original topic is going anywhere anyway.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Freddy's crying tears of blood every night wishing he could play for superclub. :rolleyes:

He talked to us during reserve game on Sunday and he was pretty damn happy, maybe he banged some Crewzers :D

10. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Adu's mom lives in DC, so it's unlikely that he would move away -- even though he'd get to escape the crackhouses on every corner. I wouldn't mind having him on Metro, though. He showed a lot of skill in the Youth Cup, even though he missed that PK. Everyone has a bad day, I guess.

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    As yes, the world famous sanctity and safety of the streets of New York. Every child should experience that for a few years of his life.

12. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    north jersey suburbs surrounding giants stadium != streets of new york

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Maryland Suburbs where Freddy Lives != streets of DC. RFK's parking lot is at the end of an interstate, so it's not exactly on the streets of DC either.

Funny how this works, isn't it?

14. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005