Is there a chance AEG could force a Freddy Adu trade to Metrostars?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by wufc, Jul 2, 2005.

1. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking, with AEG selling DCU and Metros supposedley "the Super Club", would AEG use their influence to make a Freddy trade to Metrostars right before the DCU sale? Although I'm assuming the DCU sale could be wrecked by a Freddy trade.

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    No. Move along now, nothing to see here.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    god i hope so, nowak is a scrooge for skillfull players.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    No chance. With the metro getting Ryan Suarez they've cemented their super club status and they don't need no frigging 16 year old.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes, Christian Gomez's career has been in a downward spiral ever since Nowak got ahold of him. :rolleyes:

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez was a decent player in Argentina long before he came to DC. Nowak has nothing much to do with his abilities and play.

I think this idea has gone beyond wishfull thinking. It is very very apparent that Adu is incrediblly unhappy in DC. His confidence is getting beaten up, he is being subbed off for David Stokes. His teammates cannot realate to him and some even don't like him. If he did go to Metro this is what he would be getting:

1. Playing on a team with many young players closer to his age he can relate too. (Gaven, Magee, Ibrahim, Bradley).

2. Coached by Bradley, a guy reknown for developing and giving chances to young players.

3. Play with a much more creative and dynamic midfield. That emphasises quick one touch passing and movement.

4. Could fill in Youri's role as a wandering/ withdrawn striker with few defensive resposibilites. Youri can't go 90 and he also seems to play only every other game.

Personlly i think its a much better fit for the kid's career. Question is what would Metro have to give up? Certianly not Guevara. I would personally set fire to the Secaucus offices myself if they did that. Not Gaven. ANyone else is fair game in my opinion.

Magee and a #1 pick + some allocation money.

7. Crapids fan

Crapids fan New Member

May 27, 2005
    Thornton CO
    C'mon now, If AEG was goinf to do something like that they would have found a way to keep Donovan and Lalas before selling San Jose...umm wait...nevermind

8. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i say we just follow the recent trend and give them a 4th round supplemental pick for adu

actually, let's give them three 4th round supplemental picks, since we have that many. it'll sweeten the deal

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is?

I'm concerned about the situation, as a DC fan and as a Nats fan. But I think the situation will sort itself out cuz Moreno's lost a step, and I wouldn't be sure he'll be back next year.

One of the problems in DC is that DC doesn't play a 4-4-2, so Freddy can't play wide. He lacks the defensive chops to play wide in a 3-5-2. And Nowak refuses to play him at striker. And Christian Gomez is a helluva player. Freddy's left with scraps.

But the notion of his going to the Metro is silly, borderline childish in its New York sense of entitlement. They already have 3 pretty similar, and better, players than Freddy. Sending him to LA to play left wing and play Landon's role when he's with the Nats makes more sense. But even Gal fans don't have the outsized sense of entitlement Mutt fans have, so nobody's talking about that.

Or what about playing wide left for the Revs? If the concern is to get Freddy more minutes, that's perfect. And the Crew...don't tell me he couldn't find a role on that squad. And on and on around the league. The Mutts are probably the only team with LESS room for Freddy than DC.

This is a myth getting more exposed every year. It's like Coach K's record would be if the refs had been fair in the 2001 semifinal game against Maryland. Bradley's rep for this is based on ancient history.

1. How is that necessarily better, since Freddy's strength is running at people???
    2. You really think DC's midfield style and the Mutts' is so dissimilar???

You're wrong. I agree that the DC situation isn't good, but the notion that New York would be better is ridiculous.

10. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the midfield yes. Freddy ISNT a midfielder. A lone striker NO. A withdrwan forawrd no we are talking. Youri's spot is perfect for the kid. And by next season he could own it outright as Youri may not be back (depends on how is body holds up) and SGR likely will be outta here too. More importantly he will be getting time and training in a psoition his skills are better adapted to.

I really have no clue on how you can even attempt to back that comment up. I can name several players Bradley has that he has given massive munites to who are 18 or under. Most all have become big contributers to his teams over the years.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? In his preferred starting XI he has two 1987s and a late year 1986.

I think it's fairly well established that Bradley will play young players far more readily than other MLS managers.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Freddy played forward last year and he sucked.

Sucked.

SUCKED.

13. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    It's criminal the way the Metrostars don't get to hold an expansion draft off everyone else's roster every year.

How completely short sighted of us to withhold players from them.

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he suck because he isn't a forward or did he suck because he wasn't ready to play that position in the begining of last year?

I see young players of similar size, strength, attributes and age as Adu that end up becoming awesome forwards. Of course he is going to suck if you expect him at 15 to be able to play his first few MLS minutes as a goal scorer.
    He wasn't ready. However why the hell doesn't DC groom him for that role? Why not play him as a forward in reserve matches, bring him along and focus on developing as that type of player instead of trying to make him another typical US soccer "complete" player.

I see massive potential in this kid as a goal scorer. Just because he wasn't the man at 15 in MLS as a forward doesn't mean he can't become one with time, training, and develoment. Why waste his talents forcing him to play in spots he just isn't cut out for. He isn't Nowak at 16, will he please stop trying to make him that.

My biggest fear for this kid is that they are going to "train" the very creative ability and flair that made his so special and end up turning him onto another typical american player void of any risk taking, or creative energy.

Its already happening. Look at his performances, he is so afraid to make a mistake because his coach will yank his ass in a second. He is getting played in positions that he is not suited for. The best games Adu has had in this league have come when he has either been brought in as a sub for Eski or when he is given Gomez's spot for 90 minutes.

15. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the way DC got Adu to begin with i don't think anyone here should be pointing fingers.

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

He was playing the position where he's "most comfortable," last night. Attacking midfielder. He didn't play very well, and the scheme didn't work tactically, so he got pulled, and -- lo and behold -- the tactical switch worked and United played better in the second half.

And for the record, Freddy played this same position in this same scheme in a game earlier this year against Columbus. He played very well in that game. This time, however, Chris Henderson (who was still with Colorado during that meeting) was eating Dema Kovalenko alive, so they subbed on David Stokes to play that wing and Henderson disappeared. Kovalenko moved to his more natural position in the middle and DC was better in that area of the field as well.

I don't see how you, or anybody, can justify complaining about a sub when it did exactly what it was intended to do and the team won the game. The job of the coach is to win games, not to fellate a bunch of fanboys on the internet.

17. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA
    Here's a different perspective on the young American star.

In Europe, Freddy Adu is well known and I hope he comes here and plays one day, becoming a big star in the process. It will help soccer in the U.S. However, after watching him in the under 20 championships, I think that day several years away. In the championships, Freddy looked like a boy who is trying to do too much, like there is too much pressure on him. I think this is because he is the only really famous young player in the U.S. In France there are many good young players, so there is not a lot of pressure by being "the only one."

Also, I think when I stream the D.C. U. games on mlsnet and really watch him, he reminds me of Giuly of France. Guily is a small, fast, very creative player who plays out wide in the midfield. He can also move to an attacking role. But Giuly started with Lyon and had some really bad games. After he went to Monaco he started to become the great player that he is. However, a big difference, Giuly started for Lyon when he was 20. Adu is only 16. Give him time. He will be very good. It's obvious he has talent and that will flourish anywhere. Even a D.C. with a demanding coach. However, if he went to New York and played every game, that would be good too.

18. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi seemed hell bent on playing him as an outside midfielder for whatever reason in that tournment. Why he didn't put Gaven in is natural position on the right side of midfield and Freddy as the #10 I will never know.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I don't expect the kid to be lighting up the league with 15 goals and 15 assists..although i think he can. What i expect is they develop the kid and not shatter his confidence or start trying to convert him into a player he isn't meant to be.

19. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA
    Oh, I didn't mean Adu should just play out wide. I just meant it as a comparison to Giuly. If Barca didn't have Ronaldinho I'm guessing Giuly would be #10. But Adu's creativity and vision would suit him for a #10 role, if not a striker role as well. Creative players are hard to find. Look at France. Zidane retires and now there are concerns we may not even qualify for the World Cup. It is a blessing to have discussion where Adu should play.

p.s. Adu is well-known from England to Mexico. Everywhere I go when I say I'm half-American, half-French and we start talking about football, everyone wants to know about Adu. Especially the English.

20. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Bradley's Chicago team was similar in some ways to last years DC team.

But it isn't "ancient history" that Bradley has developed talent. Look at our team, most of the guys have been drafted and developed by Bradley. I think that tradition is alive and well.

If anything I'd have him be the U-20s or U-17 coach, he'd probably be perfect for that.

As for Adu. We're a superclub, we don't waste time on 16 year old brats. We go for guys in headgear, and goalies who can't walk.

21. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    touché

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing kids and developing kids are two different things.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

We were playing a 4-2-2-2. Freddy wasn't a wide player. Nobody was except Wynne and Freeman.

I will say, he played well as a left wing in the '03 U-20s.

24. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Will be a beuty see Adu with Gaven, Bradley, Ibrahim, Ward, Magee and cuple more in the team close to his age... oh yea...

25. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is a fraction of that emanating from down I-95, all things being equal.