Is the way the Krafts run this team holding back and limiting the overall success of the franchise?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Nov 3, 2009.

?

are the krafts, and they may they run the team, the problem?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2009.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    simple yes or no
    all the supposed problems...

sss, marketing, lack of/declining ticket sales, sponsors, not spending enough, etc....

just want to see how everyone here falls as a group

is it a lack of caring or really investing in the brand?

2. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: are the krafts, and they may they run the team, the problem?

Obv

3. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People voting no, what is the problem if it isn't ownership/management?

Or do you not think that there's a problem with the way this franchise is performing?

Just curious.

4. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

All of us, even those who've drank the most Kool-Aid, know that some things could be (or could have been) done better, but are the Krafts "the" problem? I think not.

Which MLS clubs have that extra 'something special' in their local areas?
    Seattle -- they're brand new, and there's little pro sports competition in the area.
    Toronto -- new-ish, and little competition (outside of hockey season)
    DC -- they've won 4 titles (or is it 5? I am sick of counting them.) And their other sports teams suck, aside from the Caps.

Do we consider Kraft cheap? In this market, how much money would he have to spend to make an impact on the sports fans of the area? And how few would care? This is an area where the Sox and Pats are kings, and the Celtics and Bruins are also popular. Three of these four teams have had great success in the last few years. There's LOTS of sports competition here. The ROI on extra spending would likely be incredibly small, possibly a loss. Kraft is a business man, and you don't get rich by losing money.

Is it the lack of a Designated Player? Maybe half of MLS DP's have performed well. Maybe half have helped ticket sales. Beckham and Blanco come to mind. So is a DP worth it? And last I checked the Revs aren't the only team without one.

The Revs have made it to four cup finals. Is it the Krafts' fault that the Revs have lost all of them? Did Bob or Jonathan play in those games? Did either of them miss a PK or make an errant pass? I would have remembered that.

What could motivate any of us to point the finger at the Krafts and say they are definitely 'the' problem?

2 people repped this.
  5. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
  6. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bob Kraft Weather Machine 5000 strikes fear in the hearts of soccer fans everywhere!

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Problem? What problem? We are in the playoffs with a depleted roster. We are pretty much immune to debt, that is, if even we are losing money; which I'm not sure we are. We have a team. We have a coach who gets the most out of the team. We have a stadium for now and maybe a SSS for later.

What were those problems again?

Oh yeah, fan apathy. That's one I can think of. Well, from one fan to another, lets get off our asses and support this team. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  8. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Decrease in attendance, lack of public appeal, lack of media coverage, confused identity crisis (are we a family even or an adult event?), lack of a star player, and the general feeling that the FO just doesn't care.

This team could really use a re-branding of sorts sometime in the near future. But as some one stated before, it'll be best to re-brand once (if) we get an SSS. Kraft marketed this team the wrong way from 1996-2008, and while they seem to be making some progress is changing the way they market this team, it's looking like too little too late.

I would sure hope that if Kraft was able to start over, he would see the success of Seattle and TFC and try to imitate that. But now he is stuck with a "kiddy" image that he purposefully built up, and thus our current situation is his fault.

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because we got incredibly, mind-boggling lucky. We had to rely on RBNY. Read that again.

Yes, seeing as we're just piggybacking on the Mothership I guess we are. Problem is, if you only eat crumbs from the table you're not going to be very strong are you?

Didn't fly as a defense when the Pats had bad 1998 and 1999 seasons under Pete Carroll and doesn't fly now. "Well at least the team didn't move to St. Louis!" You would have been chased out of the tailgate with flaming BBQ tongs.

We do agree here.

We are the afterthought team playing in the Big Boys house. Gillette is as much "home" to the Revs as Fenway or Nickerson was "home" to the Pats back in the '60s. Maybe, potentially, one day, down the line, on paper we might sort of, they're thinking about it, the idea-had-crossed-someone's-mind, have an SSS in the future. Not talking to Somerville in a year doesn't bode well.

01.) Total unavailability of Revs gear in the city of Boston
    02.) Miniscule media profile...in fact you yourself harped on this one, remember?

You don't think Kraft's low-budget/no-buzz operation of this team contributes to why the Globe ignores us?

03.) Openly hostile security staff
    04.) Shrinking fanbase
    05.) Minor-league, unprofessional gameday atmosphere

When you have the above problems, what exactly is the reason for people already not fans to support this team?

So uh yeah, problems.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suspect it has to do with the wording of the question.

11. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am holding off on voting until I have finished trying to decipher the middle part of the question.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good stuff here, Kapt.... BTW, my handle on boston.com is kraftownzrevs.... we were talking today, LOL

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha, well unlike jokeefe80/Boston Red I'm not attacking you personally- just offering a different POV.

14. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol. fair enough. In hindsight, I should have worded this differently. Same question. is the way the krafts run this team holding back and limiting the overall success of the franchise? are they the issue or is it something else?

15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh I know. Loved your POV. Hard to figure out that jokeefe80/BostonRed. I seem to hit some nerve with him. He calls me stupid. It's mean but he's right.

I guess it's because I have an obtuse mind and have less than normal intelligence, that he gets upset with me. I do wish I were a smarter person -really. I wish I were a bit more sophisticated; but I can't help who I am. He can't seem to tolerate my lack of vocabulary and my inability to construct coherent, well organized thoughts. It's not my fault that I only made it to the sixth grade.

I really wish he would cut me some slack and consider my limitations and lack of skills with regard to my struggles, in expressing myself. :D

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem is that some people choose to take the failings of Revs management as a personal affront when poor to middling management is an unavoidable fact of life in the modern world.

As sure as the sun rises in east, the front office will make mistakes, some tactical and some strategic, some unavoidable and some beyond understanding.

Whether you allow those mistakes to define your experience as a fan is entirely up to you. Having been emotionally involved in New England sports since the early 70s, I choose to focus on what pleasures I can get out of it. I've seen the improv comedy of the Sullivan owned patriots, the rigidity and willfull blindness of the JRY Redsox, the enduring penny pinching of Jeremy Jacobs and the Sidam touch of the Rick Pitino Celtics. The Revs don't really stand out in that crowd.

17. Boston Red

Boston Red Red Card

Aug 13, 2007
    BOSTON

The problem isn't fan apathy. The problem is that there aren't a lot of fans. If you can't see that, then may god have mercy on your soul.

18. Boston Red

Boston Red Red Card

Aug 13, 2007
    BOSTON

I'm not a complicated man. You think I'm picking on you, when in reality, I hate everyone in here. So don't take it personally, jackoff. (MODS that was a joke, no need freak out and ban me for a month. Minutmanii and I are bff's even though I hate his guts, and wish evil things to happen to him (ok joking again, but srsly, he is an easy target)).

tootles xoxo

19. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it possible to edit the question in the thread header so it reflects what you intended to say?

Mods?

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can only change the title, and have now done so.

21. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Is the way the Krafts run this team holding back and limiting the overall success of the franchi

The problem is ... too many rivets and not enough shield.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lolololololol d:

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think the issue I had with the question is the wording, but rather requiring a black and white answer to a topic that is pretty much gray. I mentally reworded the question to "Are the Krafts the *biggest* reason for the problem?" then defined the problem as attendance/popularity and answered yes based on that.

There are probably 50 reasons affecting the attendance at Revs games and the top 2 in my mind have to be the economy and the FO/marketing/game day experience. I answered yes, but with qualifications. But it also comes down to things like:

How popular is MLS?
    What days and times are the matches and what was the weather?
    Do I have the disposable income to attend?

and lots of other factors that the FO has little or no control over.

1 person likes this.
  24. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Re: Is the way the Krafts run this team holding back and limiting the overall success of the franchi

Here's the way the question should be worded:

Is the way the Krafts RUN THIS TEAM INTO THE GROUND holding back and limiting the overall success of the franchise?

:p

Seriously... yes, the Krafts' stewardship of the New England Revolution has been - and continues to be - an exercise in mediocre management practices that threatens to "salt the earth" when it comes to the future of professional soccer in New England. Period.

Any good will I might once have shown them for bringing a Major League Soccer franchise to the region in the first place has long since been eradicated by the utter disregard that they've shown for the team since.

25. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the question is very simple and the answer is also simple.

As most know I there's no love lost between me and the ownership of this team. I for one don't believe that just because an organization is successful in one business it's a given that they will be successful in another.

That being said, and I won't attack this ownership personally but only state my opinion on the way I believe they've run this team.

First and foremost I feel this ownership has no real LOVE for the game..first foul. Can someone with money market a product that they don't understand or really feel passionate about and still come out ahead? Yes, in some cases..no in others.

You don't have to like McDonald's..but if you've got enough money to plunk down on a franchise..you'll pretty much succeed if you run it the way Hamburger University wants you too..

(I know..I reference food a lot..I'm Italian and food is the i ching..LOL )

Well..the beautiful game isn't McDonald's..but I think you get my point. If you're trying to sell New England clam chowder to a chicken gumbo loving crowd..You had better love the recipe you have of that chowder!!

So..just having the money doesn't equate to success. And though I'd like to believe that the Kraft's have this team just as a tax right off..I can't constantly use that as an excuse. No one wants to LOSE money..no matter how much you have.

And sometimes, even Ebeneezer needs a wake up call..!

But, I do feel strongly that this franchise is being held back by the fact that this owner probably believes that this game is for young girls and his other team is for real men..! And most of the people that voted no..did so because they're fans of Kraft, the owner of the pats, who just happens to be the owner of the Revs..my opinion!

1 person likes this.