Is the USMNT past "naturalizing players" to play for it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might think about getting the paperwork going for Fabrice Noel, assuming the political asylum exception to a foreign cap is still a FIFA rule.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sandon - you forgot Armas!

3. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    And I suspect with his attitude he may not play for the USA either! :)

Seriously-from my observations, if you want to play FOR Italy, you have to play IN Italy...and don't you think that not calling him into their U-20 squad is a big hint?

4. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your right that has been the case but they better change that with Cassano (IMO there most dangerous offensive weapon) signing with Real Madrid today.

5. SiriusSoccerFan

SiriusSoccerFan New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    It seems that some of you think that the USMNT does not bring players just to be on the NT...i'm not sure..but here's what I know about the situation.

The MLS teams become the employer of players, which enable them to get green cards...if they stay long enough, they can become permanent residents first, then US citizens..but that is like 8-10 years removed from first arrival, unless of course, they marry here.

6. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    We are a country of a lot of immigrants (thank God) and we'll always have a few on the roster on average.

Agree we should continue to avoid dragging in players like Regis (making him a citizen purely for soccer reasons).

7. Gazza Meola

Gazza Meola New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Redmond, Oregon
    This is a classic line...thanks for making me spit Diet Pepsi all over my keyboard! :D

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, that's who i meant...El Guille Franco.... My bad...For some reason ...Fonseca/Franco keep getting them confused....

I'm with you here as well

My guess is that quite few of them -over the course of many years, not right now- would play for Mexico...Seeing how they love naturalized players :) that might be an issue they'll have to contend with in the future....
    Although i think IIRC, by Mexican law a parent being a Mexican citizen is good enough for the son to also qualify.....

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A citizen is a citizen, that's fundamental. But I am happy that, unlike Mexico, we are not naturalizing people who came to the US as an adult to play soccer (though this is mainly a factor of the fact that our foreigners are not as good or are ineligible like Carlos Ruiz or Ronnie O'Brien or Sharlie Joseph as MLS players tend to come from weaker soccer countries than those in Mexico)

10. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or as some of us call it, "The Mecca". :D

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, there are many, many more. At least 50% of the U17 national squad had at least one foreign parent. That's the next stage of U.S. development. The 1980s, naturalize the foreign-born. The 2000s, train the first-born. Maybe by 2020, we'll have a large number of kids from U.S. born parents who develop the passion for soccer, too.

12. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    An American is an American (no matter how small).

And fellas, whatever might be happening with El Tri at the moment, you're kidding yourselves if you don't think Mexico develops enough good domestic players. This naturalization spike has much more to do with the politics of its federation than its player development pipeline.

13. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    I suspect that the exceptions are made with players already in the system-but for a youth player, I suspect it still holds.

Frank

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Stewart was born in California. He told me himself, after we had this same discussion.

Sachin

15. slpcpa

slpcpa New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Yorktown Heights, NY
    Why do you say this? I know that you are close to Cooper. Have you had any contact with Rossi? Or is this based upon the fact that he plays outside of Italy? Or, some other reason(s)?

Please enlighten me.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He doesn't think Rossi is or ever will be good enough to play for the Azzurri or at the very worst to overcome the disadvantage of playing outside Serie A.

Cassano needs to overcome his non-soccer brain more.

17. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it that players like Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo are able to get Spanish citizenship, but are still able to play for the Brazil national team?

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dual citizenship is allowed. It's who gets there first type of a deal. Deco was non-capped and is playing for Portugal now.

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

hit the nail on the head.....on both counts.....Rossi hasn't been picked for any Italian youth national team since he signed for Man Utd and was totally overlooked for last summers u20's even though the Italians were fairly poor....

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Happy to be your personal spokesman ... I'll take my salary in wine.

21. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Play for your native country=Good
    Play for your adopted country=Good
    Adopt a country so you can play=Bad

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Accordinging to the last census, 10.2% of Americans are foreign-born. So statistics would dictate that 2-3 of our World Cup 23 would be foreign-born.

As far as I can tell, Mastroeni is the only lock in that group. Adu, Cunningham, maybe even Feilhaber are the others who would have a chance (miniscule as it would be). So, believe it or not, the US team is actually below the country at large wrt the percentage of naturalized citizens.

Seems pretty counter-intuitive, but it's true.

23. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    After going through some of this naturalization crap, I think there's like an added rule that if you benefit the country you get quick naturalization. I think this was something done right after or during WWII to get all the Nazi scientist here and working on the space program. Now we use it to get the David Regis, or whoever. I think this is right, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I came here from France at the age of two, I don't feel any affinity to France at all. I think at like an Adu coming here at 4, he probably feels very American, so to play for Ghana is playing for a foreign team.

24. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but FIFA should make them choose a soccer-citizenship. So they are Brazilian for the World Cup, but Spanish for world club competitions? How can this be allowed? If they move to the Premiership, can they give up their Spanish citizenship for English? This is clearly a case of getting citizenship for personal interest, not for love of country.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    fifa does make you choose. At age 21 I believe, unless you choose earlier by getting captied in certain matches.

They are actually stricter than the world at large. If you are a dual, or like my kids, triple citizen, you have full citizenship rights (and responsibilities) in all countries. So be aware of tax implication and Military service requirements before you go passport shopping.