Is the US the favorite if the Mexico suspensions are upheld without replacements

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Jun 9, 2011.

?

Is the US the favorite if the Mexico suspensions are upheld without replacements?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Costa Rica is the favorite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the US the Gold Cup favorite if the Mexico suspensions are upheld without replacements?

2. FCBUSMNT

FCBUSMNT Member

May 25, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't make a huge difference I don't think but you never know....lack of depth might hurt them.

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eat moar chik'n

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will cause major problems for them if they have to go without replacements, any type of yellow card suspension could have players playing out of position.

With replacement, I think it will soften the blow, but obviously they won't have their first choice lineup out there.

Had Chachirito been involved in this it probably would completely swing the tournament. He's so far and above the rest of CONCACAF right now.

5. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that they are down to 18 men (the game day roster) you would have to think that any additional absences from injury, fatigue or cards are going to have a big effect on the team. As people have been saying, they will have people playing out of position... there are just too many games in too short of a period to not give them a rest. The card issue may very well affect their defensive psychology and they may not be willing to risk the kind of challenges an otherwise full team would in the 2nd game of a tournament.

It would be a tremendous help for them if they and El Salvador win tonight and could rest their stars for the third match against Costa Rica without too much worrying.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This hurts their depth off the bench but not really the starting 11's overall quality.

I agree that if they get hit with an injury or card problem then it could certainly swing the tournament out of their favor.

7. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we were favorites before. Why do you think they were drugging up. They know we were coming for em!;)

It was going to be easy as pie now it is going to be easier than a 1 dollar hooker at a 40 dollar a drink event! ;)

8. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I see no reason to believe that anyone other than Mexico is the favorite at this point.

9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Aren't they down to 17 with 5 suspensions plus Osorio out with prostate issues?

That would be 15 field players. Ouch.

10. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's as big a deal as some are suggesting. It's not like we caught Chicharito in HRT.

11. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    it's not going to affect Mexico much. They can handle the fatigue by resting some players against Costa Rica. The only potential downside for them is that their remaining GKs don't have much international experience... that could hurt if they wind up in a penalty shootout during the knockout phase. Honestly, though, if they face the U.S. in a shootout, it won't matter who their goalkeeper is because ours is Tim Howard.

It would be hilarious if one of their remaining GKs picks up a red card at some point... he would have to sit out the next game and Mexico would have to dress a field player as a backup.

12. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooo what if the US was already the favorite before these "suspensions"?

13. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they were 'co-favorites' with Mexico, but the win vs Canada was the first win of the year, not exactly on top of their game going into the tournament.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about peaking at the right time. ;)

15. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its not like we were exactly hot shit going in to the 2007 gold cup, either. Especially after the summer before...yikes

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are still favorites, but the margin for error is growing smaller.

Their starting 11 is still solid minus the GK. If we are playing him in the final we better be peppering that goal with shots because odds are we're getting a gift at some point. But of course, we have to make it through for that and put those shots on frame.

I'm interested to see how the back-up GK plays against Costa Rica as you can't look at tonight's performance against Cuba for anything since it was such a schellacking for Cuba. Costa Rica due to the draw with El Salvador will play to win. Should be a good game even if Mexico plays the B team (although there ain't much team left).

The margin grows thinner because as everyone says, fewer players IS a problem. There are some players that are going to see much more game time now. And that leads to tired, and potentially injury.

What a mess. Crazy.

17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing 5 players hurts Mexico, but nothing like our having Robert "El Gringo Sveno Ericsson" Bradley hurts us. Comparatively, they're doing just great.

18. EvilRick

EvilRick New Member

Jun 4, 2000
    Guadalajara
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    After loosing six players, the only question in my mind is the following:

When my beloved TRI wins this Gold Cup, will we be able to claim we did so fielding our "C" or "D" team? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  19. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't worry you won't have to deal with that question because you ain't winning it:D

Sure you vote in the poll with numerous identities but winning the CUP?? Forget about it!!;)

20. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes and dreams man hopes and dreams.:rolleyes:

21. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because Mexico is dropping 5 players that pissed hot doesn't mean its anything less than their "A" team. They seem largely unaffected on the field, despite losing Ochoa in net hurts a bit. But like the other guy said, USA got this :cool:

22. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't you think it would be better to support the US (if that is your team...) no matter what than believe we're going to lose?

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    im glad mlb is not popular in el salvador.

:p

24. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Watch the Panama match for a little taste of what you will be getting :D

25. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean if that is my team? I have you know I have been supporting the Stars and Stripes since the late 80s, the reason I have been hard on this team is because they allow weaker teams to believe they have a shot at winning instead of destroying them from the start. Have you seen the Mexico game? They are taking everyone to school on how to whip the field with the weaker team, there big test will come against Los Ticos then we will see how they fair although the Ticos had a hard time against the very same team Mexico destroyed. I see another 5-0 coming here.

And Like I said before I 200% support the Stars & Stripes but that doesn't mean I'm going to overrate this team like the majority of the fans seem to always do here on BS.:rolleyes: