Is the Dinamo able to reinforce UH soccer

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by whip, Apr 14, 2006.

1. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I am totaly ignorant about this subject and I would like to hear posters comments about the subject: Does UH have a male soccer program and in what measure is the Dinamo able to assist them with their program....

2. fireman451

fireman451 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    First, it's Dynamo, not Dinamo.

Second, UH does not have a men's soccer prgram only a women's team.

I wish UH would drop football and pick up men's soccer.

3. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Well that won't happen. Thank Title 9 for there not being a men's team. In order for a men's team to exist, UH would have to fund another women's team sport so the cost of doing so is prohibitive. Other schools have larger budgets and are able to do that but UH is working with a deficit in their athletic budget. The cost of a single scholarship is about 15k (15k x 15 guys minimum = 225k + equipment,travel + 225k for women's team + equipment, travel costs, etc) so fielding a men's soccer team and whatever other female team would add a significant amount to the already strapped budget. I believe UH had to drop men's tennis to add women's soccer (I might be wrong and would have to check).
    But the bottom line is that unless there is a huge donation by some alum to the tune of millions of dollars, there will be no men's soccer team.

Go Coogs!
    Go Dynamo!

4. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    In your personal opinion...Do you think that TITLE 9 was created with the finallity of stop soccer to develop here in the southwest....

5. FuBoy

FuBoy New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Houston Baptist University has stated that they will be adding both Men's and Women's soccer teams this following season - another team to support in orange and blue!

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No. Title IX was passed in 1972 and was an attempt to increase academic and athletic opportunities for women. It had nothing to do with soccer in general and certainly not in the southwest in particular.

7. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props for the conspiracy theory of the day.

8. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    texas, texas a&m, Baylor, texas tech do not have mens soccer teams. I wonder why not?

9. FuBoy

FuBoy New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Since I didn't see the *sarcasm* tag - I'll assume this is an honest question. All the big colleges have men's american football teams and balance that for title 9 with women's soccer teams. If they added men's soccer, they'd have to add another women's sport - which the front runner is usually lacrosse, if they don't already have both men's and women's lacrosse.

10. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    MMMM....Very convenient....

11. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    MMMM.....A Rocket Science Degree is not needed to realize that here in the southwest there are few people that consider soccer a "foreign sport" and will use any excuse avaliable to slow down the developement of soccer as a mayor college sport....

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is very lacking here is that all Big XII schools have an actuall Men's Association Football program that is not affiliated with the NCAA.

So, for many decades now, universities like Texas Tech, A & M, Texas U. and Baylor field a highly competative college team, play a Fall schedule and play in and end of the Season College Open Cup where universities small and large with NCAA programs and without hold a National Championship each December.

The advantage of Non-NCAA programs is that there are no NCAA rules to govern the age, nationality or "pro" expereince a studnet-athlete has. Thus our program at Texas Tech was a tremendous squad of Texans, Argentines, Mexicans and Chileans. With some of the guys having pro indoor or outdoor expereince I must say we could have held our own against any NCAA governed side. Also is that the Non NCAA schools play by FIFA rules. Which to a purist like me is logical on every level. The NCAA for some odd reason still alligns itself with an off-set rule book and clock management. Again trying to "Americanize" the beautiful game.

I was fotunate enough to score for my Red Raiders on my debut in '96. Special as MLS started that same month. Tech went on to capture said College Open Cup in Athens Georgia my Senior year '97-'98. We defeated super Arch Rival Texas Longhorns in the Cup Final 4-1!

Yup! We had uniforms, refs and everything sports fans. ;) There is a college soccer scene outside of the funky NCAA rules. Yet even die hards on BS land don't know it exists. Our Open Cup Title still is on display in the Tech Studnet Rec Hall. Simply put, the Non NCAA scene sees fit enough and avoids all that Title 9 bullshit. Playing was very fun, the atmosphere was very boys will be boys, very fun and solidly competative. Travelling was done on University supplied buses, until some dudes back in the day...'95ish...had a keg fall out the back van door! oops! The Tech Radio guys followed us and gave us some props. We had some og the mamitas on campus alos lend us their support. I miss those days, quality futbol and lots of soccer buddies.

13. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    And SMU has one of the nation's better programs ... guess no one sent them the memo that the old Southwest Conference schools were not going have men's soccer teams.

But this is hardly isolated to Texas. While the Pac-10 has a soccer conference there are only six teams in it and Arizona, Arziona State, Oregon, USC and Washington State do not have teams (San Diego State is the sixth team).

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And SMU, UTEP, and Tulsa don't have baseball teams. There must be some interest in crushing baseball in the Southwest, too. And then there's Lamar (Southland Conference), which doesn't have football...

15. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    most school from the North have soccer teams. Like Penn St, Notredame,Syracuse and others.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Lest it be lost completely in the shuffle, Texas does have a lot of non-D1 soccer teams for men, if you look for them (I played at one). While the Houston area only has two, San Jac and (now) HBU, there are quite a few in other cities. The Austin (St. Ed's, Concordia, Huston Tillotson, Southwestern) and Dallas (UDallas, lots of JuCos) areas have several. There are also a sprinkling of programs all over the state, from the Panhandle to the Valley. Trinity is nationally competitive in D3; West Texas is a good D2; San Jac is good for JuCo. Plus, you can play club at most of the big name schools, ie, UT, A&M, UH, and that is not a bad level of soccer, if it's not really D1. Now, I wish Houston and Texas in general had more D1s for men, and the existence of programs beyond pretty much SMU at the top level might give SMU tournament company, but there is a decent market for soccer skills in the state already, and those teams are competitive in their own way.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very well said Juve