Is The Chivas Train Derailing?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Apr 17, 2005.

1. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    To be fair, though, have you been to Los Angeles and seen exactly how many Mexicans live there? I can see why they'd think it was possible to market a major league soccer team to just the Mexicans. Los Angeles is like Little Mexico City! I personally think the team needs lower (promotionally, of course) ticket prices in the short-term and more success on the field to draw in the fans. And the team owners need to be patient. The New York Mets were an abject failure their first few years and then POOF World Series Champions in 1969 out of nowhere and one of baseball's greatest stories. Chivas can do the same.

Unlike many naysayers, I hope they do well and make their fans happy. (Just not better than Metro. ;-) )

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: on the field problems.

Last time I checked, Club Deportiva Chivas USA was an expansion team.

This just in: Expansion teams suck.

3. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the above posters who remarked that $50.00 is too high for tickets between the goals. Their target demographic probably cannot afford to load up the family and shell out $200.00 (for 4 tickets). Lower the prices to something reasonable, say $25/30 per ticket and you'll see the HDC packed.

The sky is not falling BS.

4. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Their ticket prices are rediculous I wouldnt pay $50 to see any soccer team in the world more than once or twice a year, and that' if I'm just buying one ticket for myself

They never brought over their big name mexican players. They are trying to attract Chivas fans but they didnt bring over Chivas players for them to support.....why would those fans go to the games?

Not only did they not bring over quality Chivas players as promised, they didnt even go out and sign quality hispanics from North or South America, or even from other teams in Mexico. Their lineup is made up of players who couldn't cut it for other MLS teams.

If this team significantly lowered their ticket prices, brought in quality Chivas players of course it would be successful, unforunately we have another brain dead owner who doesn't know how to run an MLS team. So far it appears the only owner I"m completly sold on is Checkets in SLC and that's only if he gets a stadium deal done.

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    50 bucks a ticket?

I wonder though, since Chivas is sharing HDC with the Galaxy, if they are required to charge a certain price for tickets. I don't know how well it would go over with Gal fans if Chivas games were $15 - $20 cheaper.

6. Gaffer69

Gaffer69 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NC
    Mr. Wilt is no longer answering that phone.

7. rhino_rulz

rhino_rulz New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually at Saturday night's Chivas USA v FC Dallas game. There were only 12,000-plus people there (a little more than half of what the Galaxy average at the Home Depot Center), but the atmosphere was still festive (maybe it was because of the extra-strong margaritas served at "Chivatown").
    As a non-Hispanic, don't-speak-a-lick-of-Spanish soccer fan, I would have felt a little out of place if I wasn't there with another non-Hispanic, don't-speak-a-lick-of-Spanish soccer fan friend.
    I think this team can make it, but it's very clear what the difference between Chivas USA and the Galaxy.
    The Galaxy are L.A.'s team. It has Los Angeles as part of the team name. There's nothing Los Angeles about CD Chivas USA. They are simply a team that plays in Los Angeles (yeah, you can say that there's nothing London about Arsenal, they aren't the "London Arsenal", but things are different here).
    The Galaxy want to win, and will acquire any player to help them do so (Landon Donovan) even if it means dealing away another player (Carlos Ruiz) in a move that may alienate a certain segment of the team's fanbase. Nothing draws fans like winning.
    Chivas USA want to win too, but do so with a largely Mexican roster. By doing this, they are virtually eliminating consideration of a major portion of this nation's soccer talent base.
    I went in to this season hating Chivas USA and thinking that Chivas USA may take away from the L.A. Galaxy's fanbase (which has a significant Hispanic representation). Instead, I think Chivas USA has galvanized the Galaxy fans. I am now glad that Chivas USA is here, but there's just too much confusion over the team's identity. I know it's early still, but this young team, I think, really needs to find itself.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    On most days, Los Angeles and Mexico are indistinguishable from one another. And I don't mean it in a good way.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I guess somebody forgot to tell Chicago?

Like Knave said, this is MLS, it doesn't take that long.

Rongen is a master at having success in his first year in a gig and then failing after that, so you'd think the team would be alright this season.

I'm far from calling Chivas a disaster at this point (after three games, it's a little early) and I think that Vegrera will bring in a player or two over the summer to help the team along.

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I agree. Mexico is becoming way too Americanized.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes, it does.

In 1998, there were 2 expansion teams and 10 teams in their third year. At that point it was an expansion league.

If you can't tell the difference between MLS 1998 and MLS 2005, then I can't help you.

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    In an ironic twist, Mexican workers are more expensive than their American counterparts.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what the game day costs are for Chivas, but Vegera had to pay a large amount of money to AEG to share the HDC.

It was either $5 million or $15 million.

Andy

14. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    As I remember, it was $15 million. But I doubt this was upfront money. It probably represented the rent for a number of years.

Hmmmm. Many Chivas fans in San Antonio?

15. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure seems like the 12k+ Chivas fans are louder than a Galaxy full house. Then again, I suppose people sitting in the expensive seats never make much noise anyways.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I thought the whole point about Chivas is that greater LA has 4-5 million+ Spanish speaking who identify with their Mexican heritage and who are probably as open to anything MFL-related vs. MLS-related.

If that is correct, then Chivas essentially is all alone is a city of 4-5million+..

17. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: on the field.....

I think they've got the potential to be better than Salt Lake. They need to scrap the 4-3-3. It's suicide when one of the mids is Ramirez.
    i
    With Sequeria and Suarez, they're solid at center back. Ezra and Perez are OK out wide. But they need a real 'destroyer' type at dmid to protect their defense. (Daniel Hernadez, anyone?)

To do this, they'd have to drop at least one forward. Whch is fine as both Torrez and Taylor are useless. You just as soon have Thiba out there by himself.

18. Soccer&Sinatra

Soccer&Sinatra Red Card

Jan 13, 2005
    I think Vegara needs to drop those prices on tickets a little bit. I think 50 bucks is way too much to pay.

I alos think once the team starts winning on a consistent basis people will show up. It will be a fine. Every expansion franchise has made missteps through the years and Chivas will be no exception.

They will need to work on infiltrating the Mexcian-AMerican fan base and that may take a couple of years. I think another event that may help is another one or two Mexican owned franshises in the league.

Inter team rivalries with say Chivas USA Pumas USa would probably insprire more to come out.

Frankie

19. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    But it still too early to tell if Chivas will make it or not. I think they should have hired a better coach then "WrongGuy" and a seasoned keeper.
    Things will get better , if they lose a few more games the coach is out of here.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm guessing the agreement with AEG prohibits Chivas from undercutting the Galaxy on ticket prices.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was $15 mil, basically allowing AEG to reach the break even point on HDC in Year 2. It's all profit from here...

22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool thanks.

And this $15 million was on top of the $10 million expansion fee right?

As for profitability, do you instead mean cash flow positive? I doubt that AEG has paid off the loans for the HDC yet which cost over a $100 million (if memory serves). Granted some of the $100 million was non soccer related.

Andy

23. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $50 bucks a ticket is outrageous. I know the Galaxy have some high dollar tickets - but Chivas USA hasn't yet built that kind of loyalty.

You can solve this problem in one fell swoop. Lower the ticket pricing structure. $25 for sidline seat. $15 - $20 for endline. That place would have 20,000 people in it.

They might make a bit less money - but they need people at the game to build loyalty. Simply put - they overestimated the ticket prices and are overcharging their market.

I make decent money - but no way in hell wouldl I pay $50 a sat for an FC Dallas game - and I don't know anyone else who would either.

24. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I was actually at that game as well on Saturday night. It was my first time in LA in a number of years, and I wanted to see the stadium, so I went to the game.

Anyway, I was surprised by a couple of things about the game:

1. The paltry crowd did not look that great.

2. The support from those that were there was awesome. It was very loud, with chants popping up around the stadium. Their supporter's section was loud, large and very rambunctious.

3. There was a sizeable crowd of hispanics actually cheering against Chivas.

4. The suites were mostly very full.

5. I was there by myself, and am descended from Europeans. But I did not feel out of place at all. Everyone at the stadium was very helpful and bilingual.

6. They had "Chivatown" set up at one of the stadium (between the soccer part and the tennis part), which they made to look like a Mexican town square, with food booths, and a stage with the Chiva girls (HOT!). At half-time, this place was absolutely packed, and a lot of fun.

I came away with mixed feelings, but mostly feeling actually pretty positive about the experience. The support from those that were there was great. They just need to build their base. I agree about the ticket prices--way way way too high, especially for that market.

25. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting read...

My thoughts are this:

1. Tickets are too expensive for the average immigrant family? Perhaps a generalization but it's certainly not a 'reach'. Although, the other possibility the ends were sold out is that traditionally (in the UK anyways so perhaps elsewhere) the hardcore fans go in the 'home end', which used to be terracing for the working man. Lowering the price point might help,...that's for Vegarra to decide. $50 for a sideline MLS ticket is on the pricey side IMO.

2. Brad Guzan is horrible, at the yet least way too young and way too experienced to be starting for an expansion team in particualr. Chivas need to address that before he lets in more clangers. I think he has been at fault/could have done much better on every single goal the goats have conceded so far this season.

3. Merchandising. Anyone noticed how few Chivas USA shirts are in the crowd? Sure they're all red & white - but they're from the big club (as easily spotted by the blue on the collar, or sponsors banners). Although this looks good at the game, if you compare it to RSl where there were many, many replica shirts, tees and scarves, Chivas USA much be losing a fortune in missed merchandising revenue.

4. Quality of play on the field. For me, it's been okay. Chivas, Dallas, SJ, NE and Chicago are the teams I enhoy watching. Perhaps RSL & LA too, we'll see. KC, Colorado, DC and Metros games are like watching paint dry. At least Chivas are trying to be entertaining, not a 1-0 win at all costs. Hopefully, that will help sustain some interest...and as the play becomes more cohesive with time and familiarity, the product will improve, the competitiveness will improve and the Chivas fans will have another reason to turn up.