Is The Chivas Train Derailing?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm asking this as an open question not because I necessarily think there's already reason to think the Chivas train is derailing (ie prepare to crash), but simply because there is certainly already occasion to wonder what's going on there (ie some eyebrows are raised). In other words, we're only three games into the season so I don't think we can yet pass judgment. But there are some things worth discussing.

A couple questions I'm thinking about.

One, what constitutes success for Chivas off the field?

Two, what constitutes success for Chivas on the field?

Let's take them one at a time. Before opening day I'd called Chivas a couple times about the group ticket purchase I was part of and every time I had a ticket rep on the phone I'd ask how things were going. I always got the impression that things were not going well, but they didn't want to admit that and were putting on a good face. I got the same feeling when I showed up in person at the Chivas front office the day before the game to pick up my tickets. "It's going to be a sellout," they assured me time and again. It wasn't. In fact, at 18,493 it was the absolute worst franchise opening attendance ever in the history of MLS. Sure, there may have been mitigating circumstances (the evidence for which is nothing more than postulation and allegory). But let's be honest here. Before kickoff on opening day the conventional wisdom was that anything less than an absolute sellout would be a failure and an embarrassment. When on opening day Chivas USA failed to deliver the sellout, and in fact failed even to deliver an impressive crowd, eyebrows were rightfully raised.

Even if they're not drawing fans at home in expected number perhaps they are having success drawing fans away. It's too early to tell when there's a sustained effect here, but among the 11,519 that showed up in San Jose last week there certainly were a fair number of Chivas supporters. But is that going to be the case in all markets? Will it be repeated next time they're in San Jose? It's too early to say much on this count, but perhaps they'll help sell tickets in at least a few markets. Still, it's hardly going to be on par with last year's Freddy Adu Road Show. But is it really the primary job on an MLS team to sell tickets on the road.?

No, it's job is to sell ticket at home. It was not my impression that Chivas USA was being brought into the league to be the Latino equivalent of the average MLS team. (I will not name the actual MLS team I'm thinking about so as not to offend.) They were billed to be something of a phenomenon. Do phenomenons have paltry attendance at home? I don't think they're supposed to. Last night Chivas USA drew 12,697 fans to the Home Depot Center. For many teams around the league that number wouldn't raise eyebrows. However, that number is actually the lowest attendance at a regular season MLS game at Home Depot Center ever. (The previous low of 13,867 was from a Wednesday night game in 2003.)

But does Chivas USA actually need good crowds at home? They are the second team in LA, and maybe the numbers they’re getting will be enough to make them financially worthwhile. But if that’s the case then isn't Chivas USA just riding the Galaxy’s coattails. Is that worthwhile? For AEG? For Vergara? I don’t know.

On the field I’m not convinced the Chivas USA plan is working. They lost at home on opening day against a very suspect DC United (that’s my team, but let’s be honest, we’re not exactly in championship form). They did put in a good performance against San Jose, but San Jose hasn’t been terribly impressive this year, and it was a strange – though entertaining game. I’m not sure what to take out of that game in regards to Chivas. But last night against Dallas (granted, what I think may be the best team in the league right now) they were absolutely trounced. The 3-1 score was fitting, but it probably should have been 3-1 by the end of the first half. Chivas was totally exposed by Dallas. It was men against boys. Yes, of course - they’re an expansion side. It will take time for them to come together, and Dallas is a very good team right now. But do you think Dallas could have manhandled Real Salt Lake the way they did Chivas last night? I don’t think so. Maybe in the end Dallas would have beat Salt Lake by the same margin, but over the course of 90 minutes I actually think it would have been a more even affair. Granted, I was skeptical about the way Chivas is building its team from the start. But I’m very open to being surprised. If they were playing better than I expected I would freely and happily admit it. But they’re not. As it is, I’m more and more skeptical that they’ll be able to field a winning side anytime soon.

A while back Vergara was talking trash saying that this year DC United could only aspire to be the second best team in MLS. His Chivas USA would be the undisputed best. He's changed his tune since opening day. Now we keep hearing about a five year plan to build a competitive side.

Five years? FIVE YEARS?

By the fifth year of its existence DC United had won three MLS Cups, one US Open Cup, two Supporters Shields, one CONCACAF Champions Cup, and one InterAmerican Cup.

It does not take five years to build a highly competitive MLS side. You can ask Chicago too.

Is the Chivas train derailing? I don’t know for sure, but nothing I’ve seen over the last few weeks has made me any less skeptical. The product on the field looks poor, and the fans in the stands are sparse. I asked a while back “What if CD Chivas USA sucks?," and my hunch at the time was that “the success of this team is very much predicated upon its success on the field. Folks will give the team a chance, but if they don't deliver a satisfactory product that lives up to the Chivas brand name I doubt those folks will come back.” I think I have to modify that statement today because when I wrote that I was pretty sure people in large numbers would give them a chance. Today the evidence seems to suggest just the opposite. They’re not at all the draw they were supposed to be. And if Vergara really thinks it’ll take five years to build a competitive side then I must openly question whether there’ll be anyone left in the stands at the end of those years. The fan base that Chivas USA wants to tap into is not stupid. They won’t stand for a poor and losing side, particularly not when they can easily watch the real Chivas on TV.

After writing all that I’m actually wondering whether I’ve asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question isn’t whether the Chivas train is derailing, but whether the Chivas train is actually going to get rolling down the tracks to begin with.

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    What did you expect Vergara to say? I don't mind so much that he pumped his team up so much. It got people more excited about it. Pissed some people off too, but you can't deny the buzz he's created. Last night's attendance was a little disappointing though.

As much as I hate Chivas, I love the idea and would really like to see them succeed as a franchise now. I think it'll take some time to get them winning, but I doubt it's 5 years. I think Vergara is in it for the long haul and is now taking the popular attitude in regards to his team.

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Certainly an interesting question. I've always wondered if certain foreign teams were overestimating the public acceptance of their brand in the US. If there was any team to test the concept, I would have thought that Chivas would have the most chance of success since you see people wearing their gear all over Mexico and the US. I was at a big Denver flea market today and their stuff was everywhere. And Chivas has a huge advantage because of the OmniLife network that Vergara has established throughout the Mexican community in the US.

At this point in time, it would seem that America, Pumas, Tigres, et al are having second thoughts about the number of fans who will turn up simply because a MLS team is wearing their shirts. And if it doesn't work for a Mexican team, then it sure isn't going to work for Real Madrid, Ajax, or Manchester United.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know about how the economics of ticket prices shake out in Southern California or more specifically at the HDC, but I know that in Houston we've had great crowds for Mexican soccer when prices are at or below $20 (as is often the case at Robertson) and not so great crowds when prices start going higher (as in often the case at Reliant). In fact, what we've often seen for Mexican games at Reliant is that the cheap end zone seats sell well and the expensive sideline seats not so well. I don't know if it's feasible for Chivas to lower ticket prices for the sidelines at the HDC.

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000

I don't know if its feasible either, but it may be necessary. The point of Chivas was to reach out to Mexican fans. Now who knows how many seats they'd sell if ticket prices were more affordable, but its safe to say the attendance would be much better...If your target is a certain audience, you have to make it more readily available for them to see the product... It's Business 101. Now if it's feasible or not remains to be seen, but I think it needs to happen...

6. hymeballs

hymeballs Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hate chivas also but I like watching them play, they play with intensity and the fans that attend are great...trying not to jump on the "guzano sucks" banter but they should have 4 pts or more with better GK...I would rather watch a last place chivas match than my C-bus boys right now....

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I've been concerned about the opposite. One of the reasons why Chivas is popular in Mexico is that they have a Mexican-only policy, but they can't follow that policy in the US. If you like Chivas because they embody Mexico, than how much are going to like Chivas USA if they aren't all Mexican? Is it okay if they're Mexican enough? How much is Mexican enough? I suppose we'll find out over the next few months.

But anyway, my point was that Chivas may be less likely than say America or Tigres of being able to offer an American version that its fans would find acceptable. America and Tigres don't depend on being a proxy for El Tri. America has long had a strong foreign player base and Tigres is from Monterrey, where many people have close social, cultural, and business ties to Texas. So, I'm not sure that Chivas USA's attendances imply all that much for say Tigres San Antonio or Club America Houston. We're just dealing with different sorts of clubs and fan bases.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw 18K people on TV at the Chivas home opener, I thought to myself: "Ok, the Pope just died, and 99.9% of Mexicans are Catholics, they have a valid excuse". When I saw 12K people at a saturday night game coming of a 3:3 tie where the Chivas showed progress and flare, I thought: "Vergara and Cue just realized what a mistake they made". Of course, if 3 months from now Chivas are winning and drawing 20,000 I would be wrong...

I personally think that the issue with Chivas is more then just bringing in a brand name. Think about, Chivas Guadalajara means all Mexican players, marketed to Mexican fans as the pride of Mexico. Chivas USA is a team full of hispanic players (not all mexicans) marketed to Mexican fans of LA! Mexicans will not support this team the way they support Guadalajara. These are two different things, this is not a "Mexican" team, so why should you market to only Mexicans? On top of that, we all know that when it comes to soccer, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Ticos, Salvatruchos... they all despise Mexico. When you're marketing Cinco De Mayo as "Wear your Mexican National Team jersey or Sombrero and get $10 off a ticket", you know the Central Americans will not show up. Of course, we're all hoping that these guys will show up to support the Galaxy.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think that they need a quality white US player to serve as the face and a marketing person to the regular non-Chivas soccer fans. From what I have read, the team is very passively (non-) marketing to the whites and other non-Latinos. If that all-too-presumptuous approach changes, perhaps more non-Mexican customers will come in.

Whether or not that will ruffle some Galaxian feathers, I have no idea.

Still, with a de facto own stadium, 13K might do enough for them to break even.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Chivas USA is full of hispanic players, but last night 3 of the 11 starters weren't (Brad Guzan, Ezra Hendrikson, and Matt Taylor).

For Chivas USA to be successful, one of the things Vergara needs to do is bring in some better players from the Chivas "A" team on loan or transfer.

Right now, there're only 3 players on Chivas USA -- Ramon Ramirez, Hector Cuadros, and Martin Zuniga -- who've played significant minutes for CD Guadalajara in the past.

At the end of last night's game, for instance, there were as many former Dallas Burn players on the field for Chivas USA as there were former Chivas (Mexico) players.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not their own stadium, they pay rent to AEG, and I assume it is AEG that is keeping all of the $15 parking fees that might be discouraging some from attending.

They need to get fans to care about Chivas USA as an entity unto itself. If it's the Chivas brand that gets folks initially interested, great, but they need to have fans that really care about the day-to-day machinations of the team--roster issues, coaching tactics, etc. If not, they'll end up being FC Clippers. Just selling a brand, especially when the product doesn't really match the tradition of the brand, won't go too far.

In San Jose I heard that many of the Chivas fans who came were pleased with the ticket prices. When real Mexican teams come to California for friendlies the prices are confiscatory, so being able to see a game for $16 or whatever made at least some of the Chivas fans happy. HDC prices are closer to the confiscatory side.

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one of them should be named Paco Palencia. :D

Unfortunately for Chivas USA, Guadalajara is doing well in the Libertadores and may still be busy after the Clausura ends in Mexico.

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too ealry to be nervous. After all, the team's star left the team and came back - not the kind of thing to make fans want to buy tickets. Plus, they were getting crushed in the pre-season.

This is an expansion franchise, after all. MLS is much more established - and winning may take time.

What's interesting to me is when does Vaerga say chuck it, and start bringing in more first teamers from the Mother Ship?

One more thing: All the fans that Chivas brings in appear to be NEW fans to MLS.

I think this will work out just fine; it will take a bit more time than expected.

14. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good observations. I am not very impressed with Ramirez, and I thought he was supposed to be their anchor. Cuadros and Martins seem to be the key, with Sequeira in the back. They need serious help on the front line. Their forwards wouldn't make first team on most MLS teams. Why doesn't Vergara offload some serious talent from CDG? Does he really want Chivas USA to be an embarrassment?

15. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great insight! For once, someone is considering the sociological impact of their marketing strategy. Your observations are right on the money. Fortunately, I think they'll eventually figure out how to make it all work, but in the end, it's all about the product.

16. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    They need a better keeper , the kid is way too slow to handle big league soccer. They should have hired Casey or some other MLSer.

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It's weird seeing the endzone seats almost filled with the sidelines empty.

I wonder if there are people still trying to get end tickets and they are sold out? If the demand is there for those seats, Chivas may need to rethink their price structure a bit and drop the sideline tickets a bit or at least offer some kind of package deals.

I was against Chivas at first, but as long as Vegrera wants to keep pumping money into the league I can keep my mouth shut. Hopefully they will add some quality players with their extra discovery picks over the next season and build a better team that more people in LA and other markets will want to watch.

18. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather than ask whether the Chivas train is derailing, better to ask whether it was ever on track to begin with. They've now posted the lowest attendances for a home opener and for a regular-season MLS game at HDC. It's not like this organization was steaming along and has gone awry.

I think the best sign is the attendance in the end zones. There appear to be plenty of raucous fans who are willing to see Chivas USA for around $20, but not for $50. Seems reasonable--the demographic to which C-USA are trying to appeal is not the most affluent, and $50 is a hell of a lot to pay for soccer tickets (I pay about half that for DCU seats).

The interesting question to me is, who will watch this team?
    --Loyal CDC-Guadalajara fans who will see any Chivas team. They're already there.
    --Fans of CDC-G who are interested but not particularly sold on the experiment. I think lots of these people came to the opener but stayed away from the last game. A good product will get them to come out, a mediocre one will probably not.
    --Mexican folks who love soccer, lack any loyalty to CDC-G, but would come to see a soccer team that they associate with Mexican nationality. This is a key group for the team to attract. If CDC-U can successfully cultivate a sense that "Chivas v. any MLS team" = "Mexico v. USA," then you might start pulling these folks to games.
    --General soccer fans who are excited about the idea of any pro soccer in the US. This group has largely been swallowed up by the Galaxy. I don't see many of these folks coming to support CDC-U.

It's way too early to write this project off. The falloff in attendance between games 1-2 was bad but not awful. Next week's game should heat things up a bit, and if CDC-U start getting better breaks and getting some points, that should help too. Early stumbles will highlight what needs to change, and Vergara is too savvy a businessman not to make the right moves needed to move the franchise in the right direction.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also need to keep in mind that Paco Palencia was supposed to be on this team. Rongen, however good or bad he may be, was planning for a team with Palencia. I'd imagine Matt Taylor wouldn't be starting if Paco were with the team.

Palencia asked Vergara to let him play the Clausura with Guadalajara and Vergara agreed. He probably won't be available until after the Clausura playoffs and Guadalajara's done in the Libertadores. That timing may be next month or it could be much later, depending on how far Guadalajara goes in the Libertadores.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Does Chivas pay the Galaxy for use of HDC?

If so, what's their break-even point for revenue for the season. I bet with current prices they aren't going to hit or even come close to it.

Furthermore, if they aren't paying the astronomical prices that some teams are, why have prices so high? I think they could have a great atmosphere at that stadium if they only had some people filling in the sideline seats.

21. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    For most sports teams in the US, it's the business community buying season tickets and boxes that really brings in the money. In Denver, the Broncos forced the city to knock down a perfectly good stadium and build a new one because the owner wasn't getting the box money. I've always wondered if Chivas would be able to tap into this revenue. Anybody know how the corporate box sales are going?

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I've heard anecdotally that Chivas has already done better with corporate sponsors than any other MLS team-- whether that is (a) in fact true and (b) translates into corporate box sales, I don't know.

It's not the most auspicious start, for sure, but if you were looking for reasons to be optimistic, I'd say the following:

(a) Chivas USA fans are new fans to the league (Revolt's point)

(b) Chivas USA has brought more scoring and attacking soccer to the league (cynics will note that it is the opponents who are doing the attacking, but that's not entirely fair-- Chivas often looks like fun on the field-- 3 games in, I'd say "mission accomplished" if only with respect to diversifying MLS's style of play)

(c) Chivas USA may have a decent TV audience (MFL fans may not be willing to pay, but will watch) and this has helped MLS actually get rights money for the LA market-- a first

(d) Chivas USA sponsors are probably first time sponsors to the league.

(e) Attendance patterns for Chivas may well be very different than other teams-- they may not draw more than 12k on a regular basis, but they likely won't draw less.

Of course, if I were looking for reasons to be pessimistic, that list would be easy to come up...

23. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Watch Futbol de Primera, the Argetine League review show that airs Monday nights. Half the games are devoid of anyone in between each goal, and filled with fanatical support at the ends. Many of the Copa Libertadores matches I've seen have the same thing. It's typical in Latin America.

As for Chivas, the off-field stuff is a mystery to me--not why no one's coming, but why they thought so many would.

On field, I'm still shocked at how few quality players were given to the team from Mexico. They need to bring Talavera and play him in goal, for starters.

I definitely agree that these are fans who wouldn't be at an MLS game otherwise, but I'm disappointed for them having to see second-rate stuff because Vergara (a billionaire, no less) won't push a little harder to get better players. I felt bad at seeing them jump around for the likes of Matt Taylor and Brad Guzan. What a waste of enthusiasm....

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    As others have said already, Vergara may be waiting for the end of the MFL spring season to see who may want/need to come to the US.

25. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Why do people keep asking this question?

Wasn't Palencia an example?

He didn't want to play in MLS because he still has his eye on Chivas Mex.
    My interpretation,"I am still good enough to be playing in Mexico, and shouldn't waste my "good years" in the US."
    For the mexican players, the transition from Mexico to the US, or more specifically California is not as easy as it appears.

I doubt that Chivas players that are promising or in their prime will even consider MLS, Chivas USA is pretty much left with players past their prime, Ramirez, and those who aren't guarnteed starting/playing time.