Is the Brasilian league now the Worlds best?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by la saeta rubia, Dec 24, 2012.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    By that measure, La Liga is a drastic step down from the Bundesliga, though.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    2 years ago all but one got eliminated, as I recall they went on to win the libertadores.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not really because I'm not claiming the Argie league to be better than Brazil's. But if Brazil wants to show they are #1 in the world, they have to start by having more than 2 teams out of 6 advance to the CL quarters. 2nd time in 3 years they failed at that.

4. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Leave him be. For Argentines and Uruguayans, defeating or getting past a Brazilian team is the epitome of their lives, a mark in their lifetime they forever cherish. It is a time for them to get excited with folklore and whatnot whenever one of our clubs grace their chicken-coop stadiums with our presence.

It is one of those things they look forward to in the year, no different than a hungry person from Somalia looking forward to a UN convoy sending food. The comments and headlines in Ole and Canchallena, especially the comments in the latter, gives great testament to that......

...but for us, it was Wednesday and Thursday.

5. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    How is it a failure if they have captured the continental in the past 3 years? It actually shows how other leagues are underestimated and able to make it through the grind. Of course Brazilians are going to be biased on having the best league just like any other nation. Claiming to be the best is just a tribal declaration. Its one of the best no doubt but to be the best ....it changes all the time.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't believe that at all. For most Argentines, Brazilians and other South Americans -you perhaps being the exception- Copa Libertadores and Copa Intercontinental mean a lot. It's not so much a matter of beating Brazilian teams, but of beating all South American teams and being the best.

The Brazilian league is good, it has a lot of talent, there's no disputing that. There's a lot of respect for Brazilian players and clubs in South America and worldwide. But if Brazilians were to go all provincial and ignore international competitions, as you seem to advocate in all your posts, they probably would regress. Attitudes like yours certainly would work to the detriment of your country's league and clubs.

7. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't take this guy serious though, no one else does so its just a wash.

BocaFan and Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    they have won all of those 3 years in question... i don't think the number of teams getting past a certain stage would matter... It's not like La Liga which only gets 2 teams going past the quarters every year, and only 1 of those teams is able to make into the finals and win, while the Brazilian league has produced 3 different champions over the past 3 years.

So if La Liga wants to show they are #1 in the world, they have to start by having more than 2 teams out of the 4 advance to the CL quarters... yeah that makes sense..

9. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It just shows Copa Libertadores is a lot harder than people think and most clubs in it are good teams.

[]__[]

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  10. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    There is nothing difficult about that third-world competition. All one has to do is be the best at grinding and destroying their opponent's rhythm by tactical fouls and provocations.

As some Dutch newspaper clearly stated after easily walking all over some Argentine team in the 1970's...

The Argentines, in general, are clear synonymous to that shitty competition called "Libertadores", which is a really bad joke to sports in general.

The Copa do Brasil, never mind the Brasileirao, are much harder competitions to win, never mind defend.

God, I know it is next to impossible but I really wish there was some way for one or two of our clubs to participate in the UEFA Champions League....

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sorry, but this is not the 2003 Boca Juniors that the best team in Paulista just got soundly beaten by.

Anyway, the claim you've been making in this entire thread has been that the Brazilian league has improved a lot in the last few years (that's the implication behind the thread title). So regardless how good or bad the teams in the Copa Libertadores are, Brazilians teams should be doing much better in this tournament compared to the past.

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The copa libertadores is a mickey mouse tournament, nothing compared to the campeonato paulista or the prestigious campeonato goiano

Steazy McCloud repped this.
  13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, if Boca or any Argentine team only got a chance to play against the winner of the Campeonato Goiano or Roraimense... Then, they'd prove their worth.

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Stop trolling. The Liberators Cup champion has a winning record against the Champions of Europe. That UEFA shindig is overrated. By far.

16. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also Argentines just wish they could make the quality of silverware that Brazil does. Tramontina makes Argentine silverware it's bitch, even River has the brand as a shirt sponsor yet Brazil doesn't have one Argentine sponsor.....

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I'm starting to agree with you, unless Brazilian clubs win all the tournaments they participate they are just wanna be failures, because they should be winning all of those tournaments. Same goes for the Brazilian National Team. If they can't win all the tournaments they enter, they shouldn't even bother entering them because it will only prove they are not the top team in the world and more like top 20.

By not participating they would just keep the myth alive.

18. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    2012- Four of the last 8 were from brasil and two of the last four and the champion was a brasilian club.

2011- Every brasilian team got out of group and the champion was from brasil

2010- Every brasilian club got out of group, four the last 8 two of the last four and the champion was from brasil.

2009- Once again all brasil clubs got out of group, four of the last 8 two of the last four and the runner up was brasilian.

How much better do you want them to do

[]__[]

Guigs repped this.
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No one here really thinks Brazilian clubs are underperforming. We are just mocking your compatriot and fellow Santos fan (btw, how does he react to having 2 Argentines on the team?)

You know, the Argentine-Brazil soccer rivalry exists ONLY when they play each other. Here in Buenos Aires, it is quite common to see people with Brazil NT jerseys or club teams. I am a River Plate socio and at River matches, it is very common to see Brazilian club shirts, especially Fluminese.

Neymar and Ronaldinho are hugely popular in Argentina. When Mineiro played Aresenal in the Libertadores, many fans of other clubs went to the match just so they could see Ronaldinho play.

And in Brazil, well we all saw how all the fans of other clubs were pulling for Boca last season, putting on Boca jerseys and going to the team hotel... The same thing happened when River has played Corinthians in 2006 and 2003 or Sao Paulo in 2005 or going further back, Palmeiras in 1999 or Vasco in 1998. When Boca played Fluminese in 2008, there were tons of River flags and jerseys in the crowd waved by Brazilians.

I love Brazil, and there are many Brazilians who love Argentina. There are certain neighborhoods in Buenos Aires where you're most likely to hear Portuguese before Spanish in Palermo Soho. Meanwhile, Argentines go to Brazil to the beach, and people of both nationalities invade Punta del Este each summer and fhave a great time together.

This Argentina-Brazil rivalry really doesn't exist except for every four years. Sure, its a big deal to beat a Brazilian team, but its no more special than to beat Peñarol or Nacional or Colo-Colo or U de Chile TBH

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Care to explain why almost all of the players who reached the quarterfinals of the last World Cup play in Europe? If UEFA CL is overrated, then so are the NT's of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.

21. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Those solid South American teams are not overrated. The "uefa cl" is. The reason is its losing record against S. America.

22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I personally don't care... I enjoy both tournaments, even if teams I don't like aren't playing. I know nothing ab German futbol, but I will watch CL Final.

The only things I hate in futbol are Boca, Riquelme, Tevez, Bolivian National Team, Chacarita, Santista1962, Chelsea, Bilardo, and Menotti.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yet 90% of the world's best players play in Europe, many of whom are in the CL.

And I'm not sure what a winning record in the 1970s has to do with anything today. Its a losing record the past few years.

24. rajale

rajale Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes: are you a southamerican or what? Intercontinental/CWC is a micky mouse tournament and nothing more.

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    It isn't.