Is the Brasilian league now the Worlds best?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by la saeta rubia, Dec 24, 2012.

1. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I watched Abramovitchs team play Aston Villa yesterday.The latter were so pathetic that I began to ponder on how all of Europes leagues with the exception of the Bundesliga have been utterly.The EPL is at best a three horse race while la liga is simply a joke.Serie A is a one horse event.
    Meanwhile in South America more players are returning from the old continent than leaving.In Argentina there have been ten different champions in a decade.But I have to admit that Brasils league is right now superior.
    World.champions Corinthians,Fluminense,Santos,Flamengo,Internacional,Gremio,Cruzeiro,Vasco,Botafogo,Sao Paolo,Atletico Mineiro are all candidates to win the league and a giant like Palmeiras has been relegated.Little fear in Europe a giant such as River or now Independiente could face this danger.
    Neymar isnt going to Europe Pato Robinho etc are joining Ronaldinho,Luis Fabiano,Dalessandro etc in a top class but above all competitive league.It was notable that when faced with a tough technical team like Corinthians the.Champions league winners used to facing the likes of Aston Villa didnt know what to do.

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By best if you mean competitive, it's probably Top 10. But if by best you mean quality, then it's probably somewhere between 10-20.

SpaniardFC repped this.
  3. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yes, it's the most competitive although it lacks the big media and tv exposure that the european leagues have... as of right now it has definitely surpassed france, italy and portugal.... and it still has a little ways to go to surpass la liga, bundesliga and premier league... from top to bottom is better than those but those leagues have big teams with big stars that seria a brasil doesnt have other than neymar

[]__[]

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aston Villa used to be good but is now 16th so most of Chelsea's opponents are better than Aston Villa. Formerly elite clubs in Brazil and Argentina being relegated shows that those leagues are more balanced than the top European leagues but doesn't show which is better.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You make it sound like Corinthians completely outplayed Chelsea or that Chelsea is the best team in Europe but neither is the case.
    Pato and Robinho are returning to Brazil because they aren't good enough for their price tags any more and Neymar is talking about his planned move to Europe all the time.

And having 11 contenders for the title is a very long stretch when the first placed team has 11 points more than the 4th. And a quick look over the fixtures showed many games with a 5+ goal difference are you telling me that those games had a loosing side which played decent ball?

KellanF repped this.
  7. Club Leon

Club Leon Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its one of the best.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
  9. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    you can delude yourself all you like but la liga on your terms wont make top fifty in terms of competitivity.Barcelona are the best club team on the planet but many clubs in it wouldnt make the nacional b in Argentina. It makes my point all there are in Spain right now are Barca in a league of its own the two Madrid clubs fighting for second place and that before Christmas .LA liga is a joke

10. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chelsea are the European champions and Corinthians were clearly superior on the day.Fluminense won seria a with 77 points Madrid won La liga with something ludicrous like 100.The sheiks team werent far behind in the epl.Face reality these leagues are boring.Even the DT of the second placed team in la liga accepts it.But hes been used to a competitive league

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil is by far more competitive than any major European league. The Brazilian league needs more top level quality to be considered the "best" though.

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only deluded here is you. Yeah, the costliest team in the world is currently almost 6 points from the 5th place. What an horribly uncompetitive league, reality check for you, Barcelona would march the farmer leagues in Argentina with the B-team.

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where as Corinthians struggled against Chelsea, A.Madrid pwned them 4-1.

14. FROADS

FROADS Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Definitely one of the best leagues in the world. There isn't much disparity between the brazilian league and the top european leagues. The only difference is the money that the top european clubs hold but even that seems to be dwindling when compared to the growth of top brazilian clubs. Also, I see the mid to low tier brazilian teams having more talent in their squads than the mid to low tier european teams. Teams like Atletico Paranaense or Coritiba would probably beat 7/10 a team like Chievo Verona or southhampton who btw find it hard to complete 5 consecutive passes. The european teams lack rhythm for some reason which is why they resort to long balls and settle for set pieces to determine games due to the physicality of the european player whereas the brazilians display a more technical aspect to the game with dazzling dribbling and through passes.

15. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be honest I didnt understand a word.But maybe you understand Cholo Simeone admitting the truth that la liga is a sad joke and totally boring.Barcelona would indeed march the farmer leagues of Santa Fe with its b team but it wouldnt beat Velez without messi or mascherano and I wonder where they came from.The reason the pulga is able to score 90+ goles a year is the quality of the opposition is so poor.Hes a great player but really would he score 90+ in Argentina or Brasil no way

Aduesque, Rivelino87 and puertorricane repped this.
  16. MailMan

MailMan Red Card

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Barcelona would dominate any league they played in though

17. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Teams in europe from germany, france, italy, spain, england and portugal that wouldnt finish in the top ten in brasil

siena, genoa, la coruna, moreirense, toulouse, academica, hoffenheim, nancy, trouyes, maritimo, estoril, souchaux, wolfsburg, bordeaux, westbrom, palermo, sunderland, osasuna, cagliari, beira mar, nuremberg, dusserdolf, pescara, bremen, catiana, parma, hannover, sampdoria, rio ave, bologna, reims, brest, hamburger, evian, newcastle, stuttgart, gil vicente, olanense, espanyol, celta, norwich, stoke, mallorca, granada, bastia, south hampton, aston villa, ajaccio, sevilla, bilbao, zaragoza, torino, chievo, valladolid, vitoria, getafe, vallecano, reading, nice, nacional, sporting, atalanta, udiniense, queens park rangers, furth, ausburg, levante, wigan, west ham, swansea, betis, fulham, saint etienne

[]__[]

18. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Teams in europe from germany, france, italy, spain, england and portugal that wouldnt finish in the top ten in brasil

siena, genoa, la coruna, moreirense, toulouse, academica, hoffenheim, nancy, trouyes, maritimo, estoril, souchaux, wolfsburg, bordeaux, westbrom, palermo, sunderland, osasuna, cagliari, beira mar, nuremberg, dusserdolf, pescara, bremen, catiana, parma, hannover, sampdoria, rio ave, bologna, reims, brest, hamburger, evian, newcastle, stuttgart, gil vicente, olanense, espanyol, celta, norwich, stoke, mallorca, granada, bastia, south hampton, aston villa, ajaccio, sevilla, bilbao, zaragoza, torino, chievo, valladolid, vitoria, getafe, vallecano, reading, nice, nacional, sporting, atalanta, udiniense, queens park rangers, furth, ausburg, levante, wigan, west ham, swansea, betis, fulham, saint etienne

[]__[]

19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    That was an exhibition game. The CWC was not. AtMa proved nothing.

The Brasil league is solid. Everyone here should check it out when it resumes.

Rivelino87 repped this.
  20. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd say they are one of the best, but to say that they are THE best is really stretching it. Also, most competitive =/= best

juventino13 repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Define best. If best is competitiveness between teams, there may be a case to be made there. If best is quality, Europe, especially the top clubs that are in the CL knockout stages, is the place to be. I want to just rebut the post above mine as it refers to the Bundesliga (best stick to what I know and want to spend time on). Firstly, Hanover 96 would be in Brazil's top ten. Wolfsburg would battle a bit, but they'd make it; after all, remember, their team was partially made up of the cream of the crop of the Brazillian league; Diego and Naldo. Hamburg, now you're just being stubborn; sure, aside from van der Vaart and Adler they don't have ton of recognizable players, but nor do many teams in Brazil, and they could give any side from Brazil a game, be it Santos, Corinthians, or Valez. Hoffenheim, Furth, Dusseldorf, and Augsburg I'd concede, but not Stuttgart; they've been doing well in Europa league and in the Bundesliga. I get the feeling you just threw together a bunch of German mid-tablers without truly examining their ability against those of Brazillian clubs.

Adrian559 repped this.
  22. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont deny that Barcelona are the best club side in the World.But their dominance in Spain unlike say in the day when di Stefanos Madrid were in their pomp is that the upper middle classes if you like have been destroyed,South Americas much derided way of keeping its clubs exactly that in the ownership of its members hasnt allowed these lets be nice outside influences destort everything.Isnt it interesting that its the Bundesliga in Europe thats thriveing not the EPL or La Liga both dying on their feet despite or probably because of the vast amounts of money being pumped in.Does anyone seriously doubt that in the coming years PSG wont do exactly the same in ligue 1.
    The opposite however is the case in Argentina and especially in Brasil where more and more top players return or stay but to a multitude of proper clubs.Ok these let us call them in money terms what used to be the upper middle classes of la liga/epl cant financially compete with the few top left in Europe but as entertainment goes with passionate crowds thrown in this time especially in Argentina SA is much healthier.

23. David85

David85 Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Their quality improved a lot ... very competitive ...but not best
    I think the league is best when it has the best (quality+competitiveness), EPL in my view

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can definitely make the argument that Brazil's league is one of the best in the world. But seriously, using that one off club world cup final game as a basis is a very, very poor argument. Are Chelsea even the best team in Europe? They are not even the best team in England, and have only been once in the last 5 years.... Also Mazembe beat Internacional in the club world championship semifinal a couple of years back, so what was the Serie A the best league in the world that year, and Congo's League the second best ahead of Brazil? And while Corinthians may have won this time around, Santos were completely clobbered in last year's final.

I think the Brazilian league is one of the most entertaining and one of the most competitive all round leagues in the world; however, I still think Europe has the best teams.

25. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    So, 3 recent BL champions and regular EL/CL participants wouldn't finish in the top ten in Brazil?