Is the African Cup of Nations on TV here in the US?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by fscat, Dec 6, 2007.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is the African Cup of Nations going to be on TV here in the US. I would love to watch this tournament, but I have no idea if it is available here. Thanks for any help provided.

2. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This tournament would certainly be great to watch. The quality of African nations has increased enough so that this tournament should have plenty of great matches. I don't think it'll be televised, unfortunately.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont see why it would be televised here. I never hear complaints from tons of African immigrants that its not shown.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe that's because it was shown on TV in the US last time (in 2006). :cool:

5. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any of you speak French, Radio France Internationale has streamed commentary for all the matches in the past, free of charge and available to anyone. It's not TV, of course, but I like it.
    www.rfi.fr/

6. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Really? What channel.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    TV-5, the french channel, showed all knockout round matches. I can't remember if any of the group-stage matches were shown.

8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    TV5 did show all the knockout matches in french coverage. A channel called Telesud had every match in English. This channel is available only on dishnetwork international package. Also ART America (ArabRadioTelevision ) showed every game in Arab commentary. This chanel is also available on dishnetworks international package. Haven't heard anything so far for this year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

9. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have DirecTV, so in order to watch it I have to order some international package for a month :rolleyes:, and hope that they replay it, since I'm sure the games will be on during the day while I'm at work. Oh well. I was hoping the tournament would be on a channel I already have (like FSC or GolTV).

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The last one was on on TV5 (the French channel).
    I was able to watch it.
    :)

Metro

11. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Really hoped Setanta would buy the rights. :(

12. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Why wouldn't it be televised here? Many African immigrants aren't complaining because they've managed to see the matches on their ethnic stations - North Africans from an Arabic, the remainder of the continent in either English, French or both. I watched every match from the last tournament live on 3A Telesud which had the pregame shows in French and the match commentary in English. I also watched them all at a pub in Chicago with Africans from every country participating and that was just one of the many places in Chicago showing the matches.

Right now, it seems as though 3A telesud (pronounced twoi-ah-telsud) as well as on JumpTv and there's a channel I believe from Egypt that will telecast most matches live throughout North America.

Joyeux Noel,
    Fonsos

13. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What pub? I'd love to watch some these matches at a pub.

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I have vague memories of watching these games at Summers (Arlington) in years gone by. Can't remember the year or what channel they were picking up.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Doubtful given that Setanta spent a fortune (US $9.5 million) on EPL each season through 2009-2010.

Setanta Sports USA has its anchor products: EPL on weekends, UEFA Champions League on weekdays. Those two products are more than enough to program the network and to make sure that subscribers will pay $15/month for 10 months a year.

16. mcduh

mcduh New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I need to get prepared in advance to watch Cup of Nations on internet streams.

I need a mentor in this area. The only time I've bothered before was to watch Palace games in Chinese.

17. The Elephants

The Elephants New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Chicago
    Telesud is the way to go! I watched All the games in 2004 and it's super because you can watch it live and then go back to old games as well: I strongly recommend it: http://www.telesud.com/

18. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Confirmed. 3ATelesud will offer all 32 games from the 2008 African Cup of Nations to U.S. residents LIVE via pay subscription Internet video streaming at www.telesud.us

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    will they be showing it on the channel itself, or just the internet.

20. The Elephants

The Elephants New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Chicago
    If you have a Dish Network and located in the US, You can have it on your TV live. Call +18775869675 to order. I usually just stream it from my computer because I can watch it from any location if I am not at home(Work, Friends, School etc... ). So to answer your question, you can go either way. The streaming on the computer is good quality because you can make it Wide/Full Screen and if you got skills(like me :) ) , you can simply connect your computer to your TV and you are good to go!

Good luck!

21. DCExile

DCExile Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm guessing most of the games will be during my workday thanks to the time difference, so internet streaming won't be great for me.

Any news on whether or not ART will be showing the games? That's one I could pick up the "international package" for.

22. RobertK

RobertK Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have a schedule of the games or an official website where there'd be a schedule?

23. aegibson

aegibson Member

Liverpool FC and Enyimba
    United States
    Nov 25, 1999
    Hayward, CA, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. RobertK

RobertK Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need another satellite installed to get the DISH package. What Chicago pub was it?