Is speed important in the EPL?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by WayneRooneyIsFat, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Cesc has everything else, vision, control, dribbling, time on the ball, your right though speed isnt necessary important.

2. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's a lot faster than you give him credit for. In addition, you are reacting to my posts as though I have said that speed is the only factor! Show me where I have said that.
    Maybe "speed" is defined too vaguely here. I am including what many might call quickness in my definition, and maybe that is not what was intended.

3. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have I said that speed by itself is sufficient? It would be stupid to say that. I am simply saying that if you have players of otherwise equal ability, it's better to have the fast one. Sheesh!!

4. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    that's fair.

PS - Cesc is fookin' slow, mate.

5. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D but quick! LOL

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure no one disagrees with that :)

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed kills.

You can't teach speed.

Go speed racer.

Okay, I was just trying to think of some speed cliches.

Sure, speed is important.....it's not the end all be all....but it certainly helps.

8. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, screw it! There is nothing more important than speed! Speed, speed, glorious, brilliant, beautiful SPEED SPEED SPEED!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!! :D Speed!!! Speed!! :D

No..No..don't put that on my arms..stop it.. I need SPEED!! It's the only thing that matters!! Aaaaaaaaaaaahh.. Stop it!! Let go!!!

mrrrmph! SPEE...murble mrrmph........................................................
    .................................................................................................
    ......................................................sfds.................................

topcatcole may return later. Do not inquire as to his whereabouts.

9. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Speed IS important. If you think speed is not important, do I need to remind you how CRonaldo totally pwned Lauren in two occassion? Speed is important, but another qualities are important too and being fast is no use if you are lacking in those qualities (Huckerby comes into mind).

And there is no suck thing as speed is less important in the EPL. It's true that in the EPL power is probably more important than speed. However, speed is still kust as important and the lack of speed is what which kills a lot of team; just look at the slow teams we murdered this season (*cough* Everton *cough*).

10. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Dennis Rommedahl is a prime example of that. Great speed, ******** talent.

KJ

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    OH MY GOD! You left out the most important one!

"I feel the need... the need for speed!"

---

Seriously though, speed is not overly important in the EPL. As has been pointed out, quickness is more important.

Cantona/Zola or Huckerby?
    Shearer or Anelka?
    Terry or Silvestre?

Are you sure we're talking about the same person?

12. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you feel that way. I'm sure you won't mind playing without Rio or the nameless one then!! LOL

13. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Trust Claus to mention the Danish content that we had all forgotten about :)

Good point about the nameless one... so darn fast, I feel most of Man U cant keep up with him either, which is why they squander 90% of his great runs.

14. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Exactly!

Henry can take advantage of his speed so much because he is amazing running down that left flank. But it would be alot different if he were to start running towards goal through the middle of the pitch.

Speed is important, but Ball control and accuracy is what matters most. Thats why players like Gian Franco Zola, De Canio, and Bergkamp were so succesful in England. They didnt have speed but they had good control and werent afraid to take a shot from outside the net.

15. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for Henry, you do remember the run from our half to the Spurs half DOWN THE MIDDLE to score from a couple of years ago. He doesn't make that run without pure blazing speed.

As for the others, would they have been better if they had that same level of skill AND were faster?

16. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Stupid question.

But if you must ask, then yes they would obviously have and more of an advantage if they were fast. I did say speed is important, but its skill that matters most.

17. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    the run started from the right flank and he cut inside just outside their box.

umm...stupid question, because if two players had the same amount and skill but one was faster, the faster player will obviously be the better player. :confused:

18. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh yes, we agree!! BTW, you guys aren't going to keep this up until I have to be locked up again, are you? :D

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Damn! You got all the good ones before I could use them.

Like all cliches, though, there is an element of truth to all of them. You can continually work with a player to improve his touch, his mental game, and his other skills, but no matter what you do he'll be only marginally faster even if that's the only aspect of his game you worked on.

Let me put it this way: with a young player that you are going to develop over the course of several years you would be wise to take the faster player who's skills were rough rather than the polished player with lead feet.