Is speed important in the EPL?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by WayneRooneyIsFat, Jul 1, 2005.

1. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    A random question for a lazy summer Friday: does speed matter in the EPL?

I watched some of Arsenal-Middlesborough on FSC last night. Henry's brilliance never ceases to amaze me, but the more I see him the more I think his brilliance is due to his skill, strength, timing, composure, ball control, etc rather than his speed. I know he's fast, but if he were a step slower I'm not sure he'd have any less success. Or if my buddy Shrek were a step faster and lost a few chins, I'm not sure he'd improve.

Thoughts/opinions/criticisms for asking such a dumb question?

2. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    Yes speed is important. :rolleyes:

Henry is REALLY fast. Isn't he?

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unfortunately, the authorities don't allow it.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, speed is important, but a better question might be: Is speed overrated?

You are right, speed is just one aspect of a player's game, and it's not the most important. I'd say vision (the ability to see the whole field, know where everyone is) and confidence (that borders on arrogance) are more important. You need touch and you need skills and you need to know how to play the game. Anyone who ever watched Renaldo Nehemiah (or any of a host of fast WRs) try to play football knows that speed is NOT the be all and end all. But, it's better to be fast than to be slow (just like in BBall it is better to be tall than not, all things considered).

Speed can be a problem if is used to cover up other deficiencies or it becomes a crutch or if as a player slows down he can't compensate for the loss of speed.

Look, Ronaldo was stunning when he first came out, his speed was frightening. Now that he's lost the supreme speed he had, he's still great, but he's one of the few who've made the transition. By way of very facile comparison, I don't think Owen has. We'll have to see what happens as Henry starts to lose a step.

5. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    Roy Lassiter was super duper fast.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    not so much when you have 11 men behind the ball.

7. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Theres more to being a good player than speed, look at Bellion.

8. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have often cited speed as a critical component, but as has been pointed out above, it is not the only component. In general I would say that in the Arsenal system speed is very important because of the way we use the wide spaces to spread the defenses and open up space in front of the goal. We are also a very fast counter attacking team.
    At the national coaching camps, they cite speed as one of several factors that make up the player. I don't have my notes, but certainly things like skill level, vision, and "heart" are major factors in success on the field as well.

9. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    is speed important in the premiership?

only for wide players.

10. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Another example is Darren Huckerby, fast as you like, but no vision, so he goes past people for toffee, then can't see the pass or the player...

11. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Speed is very important, both mental and physical speed that is. My example of speed kills is you lot and that Mob in West London. If I looked at a major difference between Spurs and Arsenal and Chavski is the general team speed, the quick passing, break away speed etc. Reyes stands out as a good example, although he can be suspect in front of goal, the one he took against Tottenham at the 'library' ooops Highbury was made out of pure speed. And there were a number of occasions in that game where your speed should have culminated in more goals.

12. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I would say quickness is more important. It doesn't really matter if you are blindingly fast, although it helps. What is more important is quickness of thought and action. Bergkamp is a prime example of this.

13. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed is good, but it needs to be combined with touch. One of Henry's greatest assets is being able to manuever well with the ball and set himself to turn on the speed and get seperation.

14. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    dribbling?

15. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dribble, pass, give and go, etc.

16. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    Yes, that's more what I meant. I was thinking about this for two reasons:

1) Despite the Robinho love-fest, the man is 5' 7" and 132 pounds. I know he can fly up and down the pitch, and I know he's got great skills, but I don't think his speed would give him the same advantage in the EPL that it would in Spain or Italy (or Brazil). Besides, if Wenger wants a blindingly fast striker with great moves, he doesn't need Robinho; just play Quincy more.

2) I've been watching some Copa Libertadores matches recently, and the game is quite different from the EPL (and not just because of the riots). It's like a 90 minute sprint. I was thinking about whether these burners would have success in the EPL, and my guess is no.

Perhaps my original question should have been: is speed less important in the EPL than it is in every other league?

17. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hard to argue with this... Shearer is a great example. He was never a speed demon, and look what he accomplished. Furthermore, look at some of the top defenders in the EPL - they are relatively slow to compared to say Italian defenders, but they can make up for that with impeccable positioning and determination.

On the whole debate of whether speed is overhyped or not, I think speed does get overrated because speedy players tend to score great goals that make all the highlight reels... and when they blow by defenders, nothing makes them look worse.

Then there's the question whether everyone can play with really speedy players...

18. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    IMO, the italians are the best positionally/reading the game.

19. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    then you'll be stereotyping..

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who of you guys play or have played? If you're a defender, do you want to cover the fast person or the slow one? If you're an attacker, would you rather go against a slow defender or a fast one? Seems simple to me.

Speed matters, and not just on the wings. It is not the only thing that matters but it's pretty darn important. The team that has the ability to transition quickly from defense to offense and back will always have the advantage over the team that can't move as well.

Importantly, speed is one of the things that is hard to change very much. You can coach it to a limited extent. There's an expression in basketball that "you can't coach height". To a lesser degree this is true of speed. A player may not be the most skillful, but if he is fast I would take the chance on him because I can coach skills but, at the professional level, players just aren't going to get much faster.

Lastly, it seems to me that there is some difference in leagues, primarily due to the officiating. The EPL has very permissive officials that allow shirt tugging, grabbing the players and very physical play that slows players down. Other leagues are tougher on this kind of thing for just this reason- they want to have the fast play.

21. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    speed isn't as important for other players than it is for wideplayers. aslong as a striker/defender is good at reading the game, they'll do fine.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I misread the question. You may be OK with "doing fine", but that is not good enough at the top levels of play. You are right that it may not be "as important" but it is still important. If you can't stay with your man in the middle of the field, you will hurt the team just as surely as if you can't stay with him down the wing.

23. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    it's called reading the game. cesc isn't fast infact he's rather slow but he's a very good player in the premiership.

24. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    topcat I play three times a week... I see plenty of lightning quick guys with no other skills... its like hockey... fast skaters are wonderful, unless they cant do anything else.

25. justanothergooner

justanothergooner New Member

May 25, 2005
    Iowa, USA
    I think it's important to define speed vs. quickness. Quickness is something needed up front or in the middle, just about creating that bit of space to get a pass off or a shot off. Bergkamp still has this at his "advanced" age.

Speed on the other hand is just being able to run past people. Obviously these aren't mutually exclusive and are usually found together but speed is needed for the wing and as I said quickness up front. A quick first step is all you have to have but if you combine these two with great ball skills (such as Henry has) then you get a great player.

Of course, you can have all the quickness and the speed in the world and not be able to play in the EPL.