Is Samuel Eto'o the best player in the world right now?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by special_k, Nov 2, 2004.

1. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    He has been tearing it up in la liga, and he scored again in the champions league. How does everyone else feel he compares with the like of Henry, Shevachenko and Adriano? I say he is the best right now.

BTW how old is he?

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    No, he's not.

3. -GoalUSA10-

-GoalUSA10- New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    USA
    I agree with nicephoras, he's not... Ronaldinho is!!

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Decent player not a great player yet!

5. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is an excellent player. I don't think that I would rate him number one overall. I believe that he is 23 years old. Off the top of my head I think I would still rate Ronaldinho and Nedved, among others, ahead of him.

6. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    well i mean right now, at this very moment.

like how people were talkin bout Adriano a few weeks ago.........

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Adriano is better right now, as Inter relies on him for goals. I could score at a decent clip if Deco, Giuly and Ronaldinho were passing to me, and Larsson occupied a lot of the defense's time.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Deco, Giuly and Ronaldinho are providing service, then Larsson must be keeping the defenders occupied from the bench.

9. dm3mdgtr

dm3mdgtr Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Mckinney, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

DAMN IT! I agree 100% with a Chelski fan. What the heck is this world coming to?

10. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he isn't. He is a great player who is getting a lot more attention after moving to Barca. He has all the tools and with time he could be counted amongst the world's elite. If he keeps up his form for the entire season and into next season, then maybe, maybe we can start talking.

11. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Adriano will be way ahead of him (barring injury) for the rest of his career .. Eto'o is small and that's a disadvantage, whereas Adriano is big and skillfull .. you can't beat that combination.

12. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What are you guys talking about? I'm the best in the world, I have to be right?

Cause I scored against my friends in my indoor soccer league just yesterday!

Yay! I'm the best!

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

who cares about size? it just means they will be two different types of forwards. he maybe small but hes very fast and creative. you dont have to be tall to score goals. but no i dont think hes the best right now.

14. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Usually that's the norm, because big guys tend to be less skilled and slower than smaller guys.

Not in Adriano's case.

He's fast and very skilled, just watch that nutmeg he did during the Inter-Valencia match in spain. Not as fast as Eto'o but the only situation that would disadvantage him vs Eto'o in is for chasing long balls over the top. But he more than makes up for it in other facets.

Skillwise Adriano comes out on top. I've not seen Eto'o that much but I don't think he's got the sort of ball control and dribbling skills of Adriano, he's not bad mind you but he's not as good. Seems to rely more on pace

So Adriano's not only physically powerful, he's very skilled and fast too. There's not many weaknesses in his attacking arsenal.

Now I don't know how he's defensively, he could be a lazy arse but attacking wise he's right up there with the best strikers in the world already.

He'll be better than Eto'o will be unless injury or catastrophic loss of form intervenes.

15. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    If Eto plays and well and scores consistently he should be up there with the other supa dupa's-playing with the Futebolistas helps. ;)

16. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    You don't think he's got the sort of ball control and dribbling skills of Adriano? Comeon now! Have you actually seen Samuel Eto'o play. He's got amazing ball control and dribbling skills. You talk about his great service men...like Deco, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Giuly...but these guys like to keep it and throw a few on goal themselves. Samuel Eto'o is an amazing talent.

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    A fan of Boca slighting a player for being small? I swear I've just entered the twighlight zone :confused: Small in football terms is very often beautiful...nearly all the best players ever are 'small' even the best goal poacher there has ever been was relatively tiny...You threw me off with this post :) I'm not taking a shot at you, just had to post this and defend the 'little guys' as a Boca fan you should know why, especially.

For the record, Eto'o is nowhere near being the best player in the world. On what basis could such a crazy assertion be made anyway?

18. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Why did Adriano get all the praise a while back? Surely its the same reason i brought up Eto'o. Because hes play incredibly right now. i do believe he has more goals and i think more assists than adriano.

The reason i considered Eto'o is the same reason others said Adriano a few weeks ago.....cuz he was playing well RIGHT NOW

Surely Adriano wasnt the best in the world when he was in the spotlight, just the best then.....i guess

So i believe the case is the same with Eto'o

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you can, by being really fast. Big and skillful don't help too much if you're constantly being beat to the ball (and I'm not saying Adriano is slow, just that speed trumps a lot of other attributes).

and no, Eto'o is not the best, but he was damn impressive yesterday.

20. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I think alot of people rate Adriano as whatever they rate him as because of the cumalative affect of his last year and a bit of progress and performance. His current form added to this is where people are making the huge leap to calling him the best in the 'world'

I don't think you can put Eto'o in Adriano's bracket yet. Like someone said, he will be judged as something or other at the end of the season and possibly into the start of the next. Think about Dado Prso's CL last year...and look at him now... enough said.

It takes time to become the best. The best strikers are still the old, tried and trusted. Ronaldo and Sheva in whichever order you would have them. The big dogs. Been there done that. Form is temporary class is permanant.

21. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Dark Savante- thats exactly what im talkin about. Surely Ronaldo isnt the best right now, but we know what he can do. Sheva has been playin great so thats not an issue. Im just saying RIGHT NOW i think hes been playing as good as any1 else RIGHT NOW

put it like this.....

Is Adriano the best striker on the planet? NO
    Was he the best striker on the planet at one time? YES

thats all im saying, i think the same goes for Eto'o

22. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for right now, he has been fantastic. He leads La Liga in goals, and has added a few in the champions league as well. Also, it seems like every goal he scores is highlight reel material. At points this season (like the game against Zaragoza) Eto'o has seemed unstoppable. He is definately amongst the most dangerous strikers on the planet, at this moment. The reigning African player of the year is finally on a team of his caliber, and it his showing in his performances.

23. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Who's knocking Eto'o or small players? :confused:

I'm saying that Adriano's special because he can do it all. Simple as that.

24. Nutmeg_23

Nutmeg_23 Member

Jul 20, 2004
    he is a great player, but it's a stretch to say he's the best..... a looooooooooooong stretch

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I know what you are saying. The arguement is still flawed tho isn't it? By this criterium is VNR the best in the world right now because of what he did in the last game?

I just don't buy this 'right now' business I guess. Strikers get pedigree over a season not a few games in a purple patch. I hope you see what I'm getting at, I'm not trying to be anal, it is just the way I see it for a striker is all.