Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by lond2345, Aug 26, 2002.

1. funkidaniel2001

funkidaniel2001 New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    swindon
    I will read the book once I have the chance to grasp a copy. I think I can already presume what most of the content will be....Him ranting and raving how the whole world and his dog is against him........Never know we may find some deep physiological reasons to why he has to maim and hurt every man, women and child on the pitch. Maybe his dad never did love him? Or to much ;o)

Dan

2. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    You should reconsider reading it then if you bring that level of bias to it.

What I find far more fascinating than the huge fuss over the Haaland tackle which merits a mere paragraph in the whole book is his take on the state of the game and on the state of Manchester United in the last couple of years.

His critique of himself and his boorish - sometimes thuggish - behaviour is absolutely honest - he doesn't justify it at all. Equally straight is his appraisal of the players around him in the game both in his clubs and those of his competitors. Admittedly he doesn't name everyone - presumably libel suits would fly - but his assessment of people like Paul Ince, Bryan Robson, Teddy Sheringham, Des Walker and Peter Schmeicel are revealing and sometimes very funny.

He has probably done no more or less than a lot of players have done in their career with his reaction to games, to tackles, to wins and defeats. And I suspect if Saipan hadn't happened this summer, we would be probably yawning at this latest outpouring from a footballer.

It isn't particularly well-written and is quite repetitive at times - Dunphy seems to have lost his edge - but I would recommend it anyway, if only to see just how much this whole episode has been blown out of proportion by media, by internet chat rooms, by the soccer fraternity for what is, in the end, quite an ordinary story about a sometime extraordinary player.

3. funkidaniel2001

funkidaniel2001 New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    swindon
    keano the psycho

I was joking mate! I never judge a book by its cover! ;o) had to drop that little gem in there!

Neways, I was just taking the piss out of Keane not trying to impress my teacher with a good book report....

Laters dude, thanks for the insight.

Dan

4. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I really think that Roy Keane is starting to suffer some sort of breakdown as his perfectionist streak is taking its toll on his temper. If he's not careful, he might end up completely isolated from everyone who has met him (apart from his cheerleader Eamonn Dunphy). Bitterness, alcohol/drug addiction and/or an early death could even be on the cards if he continues down this path.

5. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    Just thought I'd share a quote with you. Guess where it's printed and who wrote it:

"With a journalist, a player shows another side to the one he shows his colleagues. Journalists and players have an uneasy relationship, really. It doesn't work very well. Journalists always have their pre-occupations, their angles. And they tend to try and make the palyer say the things they want him to say. And it is all too easy for a journalist to do this. They do not go into a story to discover, but to substantiate preconceived ideas. This shows particularly when they are on the 'discontented player' story. They rarely find the real cause of the discontent. Instead they encourage him to make a fool of himself and repeat all the old cliches. He will probably repeat them. But a little understanding and sensitivity would produce a better picture."

6. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Sounds like Bill Clinton to me ;)

7. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    Close, but no cigar - if you'll pardon the pun.

Eamonn Dunphy, 25 years ago in his book - Only a Game.

Plus ca change....

8. tizhomme

tizhomme New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    australia
    method to his madness???

roy knows his job
    he gives man u some hardness
    he has to
    a team of celebs like man u just wont do the things you sometimes need to do to win

someetimes it comes off sometimes its backfires

9. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I see that he's calling Haaland as a witness at the FA disrepute hearing :D

10. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    I left this thread after the first week, but for those interested there is a very good article in today's London Evening Standard comparing Tiger Woods and Roy Keane, making a lot of insightful and valid points comparing the performance of one in the World Cup and the other in the Ryder Cup and concluding they have much in common (same genius, same limitations) and would probably understand each other well. The site is www.thisislondon.com, then hit the "sports" link, and then the header for the story (which will be obvious). By the way, this site is good for up to the minute news anyway as it's published daytime in the UK, and carries the first in-depth coverage of stories that otherwise don't get detailed until the following day's papers

11. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    By the way, am I the only person (quite seriously) who thinks that Roy won't be a Man Utd player much longer? I personally think he will be gone by the start of next season, if not before.

12. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I certainly don't agree with that. If anything the performance of the Man Utd midfield this season has illustrated how much they need him. The midfield is packed with attacking players with little in the way of defensive qualities - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Veron (not one of them could make a defensive tackle to save their life) - only Butt can operate effectively defensively. He's a competent player but no Roy Keane.

Keane's drive is what makes him Utd's most effective player and captain and Alex knows that. He's the one that carries the "hairdrier" approach onto the pitch. It's his drive of course that is also the cause of his wayward ways ;)

Alex knows that too and that it's the price you pay for this level of determination.

There's no way he's leaving Utd without Alex moving heaven and earth to keep him.

Of course, whether Alex's eventual replacement can put up with Keane's antics remains to be seen :)