Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by lond2345, Aug 26, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usscouse...to be fair, I thought Keane was referring to Haaland standing over him and accusing Roy of faking it.
    Fixed your post.

I'm always a little cynical about guys who claim their favorite teams are Real Madrid, ManU, and Celtic.

2. Martin Henry

Martin Henry New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Manchester

By that reckoning then, every time a player (could be Beckham, could be anyone else) scores with a free kick he is "lucky"...

Given that more often than not the ball ends up in the crowd or hits the wall then it's a total fluke for him to score that goal...

I don't know why he even bothers to play let alone have the audacity to take free kicks...

3. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    ....ok there....

....PROZAC......PROZAC.........PROZAC....

(Roy...is that you????)

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Good god what a load of tripe.

You don't have a clue do you!

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guys, lets move on my issue was with Sinner not anyone else. I also don't think being cynical becasue I support bigger clubs is really cool either, just because my teams tend to win things people have a problem with them which I can understand but dont bag on me just because i perfer to support teams that I enjoy watching and put out good displays of football, I also like Liverpool and Blackburn but its now as trendy to hate big clubs as it is to support them so i guess i am damned if i do or don't. Oh by the way Sinner if you want to check all my posts for grammar and puncuation problems that would be great because i am to "thick" to know any diffrent you can always start with this one which is a lot of little sentences that are making one big paragraph. Oh and to clear things up I am Roy and i dont ake Prozac although you are not the first to ask me that(j/k I have a bad temper everynow and then thats all )

6. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry the not got deleted in the I am not Roy sentance

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You’re right..! I forgot that part in my zeal to crucify the bastid…:)

Give us Barabus..!

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Recanting your statements. Are you sure your not Roy Keane…??? :)

9. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thats too funny

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I guess that was supposesd to read "that's not too funny"....................right Roy???

I'm sorry man...I couldn't resist...

...this post is just getting hilarious...couldn't have done it without you!

11. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey I try my hardest but, really I am not Roy i swear to god

12. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    "A Song For Roy"

In the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody

Mama, just kicked a man.
    There's a screw loose in my head,
    Because I tried to break his leg,

Fergie, the seasons just begun,
    But now I've gone and thrown it all away!

Forlan! Ooh -ooh - ooh,
    Makes me want to sigh!
    We'd score more goals with Sid James or Kenneth Williams,
    Carry On, Camping,
    The whole teams just in tatters.

Too late, my crime is done,
    Tried to mangle Alfie's spine,
    Now he's aching all the time,

Goodbye Mick McCarthy, I've got to go,
    Got to leave the squad behind, 'cos I'm a t**t!

Veron! Ooh -ooh - ooh
    He doesn't seem to try,
    I sometimes wish he'd never been bought at all.

(guitar solo)

(Opera Section)
    I see a little packaged sandwich filled with prawns,

LAURENT BLANC! LAURENT BLANC!
    HE'S JUST SLOW, OLD AND USELESS!

Brown & Neville fighting, very very frightening indeed!!!

WHERE IS RIO ?,
    Where is Rio?,

WHERE IS RIO?,
    Where is Rio?,

Because Laurents far too slow! He's far too slow-ow-ow-ow-ow.....

I'm just a head-case, nobody loves me!

HE'S JUST A HEADCASE, WALKED OUT ON, HIS COUNTRY!

SPARE US THE WHINES FROM HIS GAFFER IF YOU PLEASE!

Here it comes, Open goal - Forlan must score.

HE WILL NOT!

No! He's simply got to score!

HE WILL NOT, NEVER, EVER SCORE!

No! He's simply got to score!

HE WILL NOT, NEVER, EVER SCORE!

NEVER, EVER SCORE, NEVER, EVER SCORE, NEVER, EVER SCORE.........

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Oh where is Rio? where is Rio ?

Has he really stubbed his toe ?

Beelzebub take the Nevilles from my side, Oh Please ?

Oh Please, Oh Pleeeeeeeaaaase?

(Guitar riff)

So you think that I punch refs and spit in their eyes?

Would I kick Alan Shearer and leave him to die?

Oh baby, Even though I seem crazy,

I'm Roy the Red, rich, thick and madder each year.

(Slow bit)

All the guys I've clattered.....even poor Alfie!

Now I've got a Court case...........I just want to kick folk, you see ?

Tell me where did Mick go ?

Taken from www.stalybridgeceltic.com. Originally posted by, and credit due to, celticarenumber1.

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Brill.

Dave

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2002/0902/20020902mufckeanelatest.html

[Roy Keane] said: 'It was obvious. England were overawed by Brazil. Brazil with ten players, men against boys. I spoke to Nicky Butt about them concentrating on swapping tops. He didn't disagree with me.'

Gee Roy,

You accuse five teammates - Beckham, Ferdinand, Scholes, Butt and Brown (okay he didn't play) - of blowing off the biggest game they have ever played in and then tell the whole world about it. What a nice guy you are.

That is some compelling corroboration too. Nicky Butt "didn't disagree with you". Wise lad that Nicky. I'm sure he nodded and backed away slowly - making every effort to avoid eye contact.

15. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    yes! his bad temper has cancelled out his abilities as a player. its just a total waste of talent.

16. rafaelj

rafaelj New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Roy Keane banned for good

He should be banned for life.

I've always admired British teams for their fairness - especially when you consider the constant rivalry with Germany and German teams.

But a guy like Keane does not belong on a football field. He's all pubfights and headbutting. A mixture of brutality and lack of intelligence which we could all better live without.

I was waiting for FIFA to give Rivaldo a 2 match suspension for his performance in the WC match against Turkey .... that never came, so most probably the FA won't give Keane the lifetime ban he so much deserves.

A despicable human being!

17. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    You've obviously never seen John Giles, or any of the Leeds 70s team play

18. SpamIAm

SpamIAm New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    Arlington, Va.
    Banned for life?

What a bunch of whiny little turds.

Banned for life? For what, a book? An elbow in a heated match?

The humor in all of this is that Keane is not even a dirty player in the scope of the English league or sports in general.

He plays to win and, like the best, will do almost anything on the field to succeed. He is punished -- probably more than others because of his reputation -- when he crosses the line.

The elbow to McAteer was payback for a late-tackle and the trash-talking that followed. It was meant to send a message, not to injure, as was obvious after McAteer himself jumped up and pleaded with the referee not to show red.

This type of behavior happens every weekend in matches across the globe, from youth to amateur to professional.

I could understand the anger if Keane's sum contribution to the game was thuggery -- and was able to get rich from that image like, say, Vinnie Jones.

But Keane's a player whose skill and drive on the field deserves respect. His problems off it, and his outburst at the WC, are self-inflicted and should really be left for him to sort out.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Interesting what kind of comments would come from the (in)famous Cup final in '70 between Leeds and Chelsea huh?

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Banned for life?

Listen ,dullboy..

If keano hadn't written that he deliberately injured Alf haaland in his book then none of this stuff would even be talked about.
    None of this would be debated..
    if keano is brainless enough to write about a book about how he deliberately injured someone then as far as im concerned he gets what he deserves..
    save your tears for people who actually give a f'ck about poor little roy.

He's just an attention seeking scumbag who is only bothered about himself .

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: Banned for life?

Not quite the right verb here, but in general, right on the money with the rest of the post.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Banned for life?

I just saw the redcard foul. (We get the ManU games every Wednesday at 8pm.)

I realize it's a cultural thing, and cultures vary across countries, but my Lord, how can you say he's not dirty? What he did to McAteer was gutless, chickens***, pu***. He came up behind him, gave him no chance to defend himself, and whacked him in the head. A real honest-to-God tough guy, as opposed to a cheapshotting thug, would have challenged McAteer face to face.

At least, that's how this Yank saw it.

23. girbo

girbo New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    N E Where
    You must have been watching a different match - he hardly touched him and McAsneer went down like a stone.

If Keane had intended to hurt him, I doubt Jason Two Cells would have been able to get back up.

Re the Book - I'm curious to know, how many people have actually it, as opposed to reading the "edited highlights" in media? And for those who have actually read it, have they considered Eamonn Dunphy's role in all of this? For make no mistake - this is no ghostwriter - this is Dunphy fully in the flesh.

If I were to pinpoint one person who has contributed hugely to Keane's problems at the moment, then you should look no further than this ex-very ordinary football player, who has become a millionaire journalist in his own country on the back of his vitriolic writing and supposed searing insights.

This is the man who, many years ago, wrote one of the definitive books on the game of soccer - rated alongside Hunter Davies 'The Glory Game' - and rode that claim to fame for many years.

He next came up with the "definitive" book on U2 - a book with which the band was less than well pleased in the liberties he took with what they said and what he actually wrote. "Artistic licence" was a phrase that Dunphy was in love with even then.

He moved on from this to eventually write for Ireland's Sunday Independent, writing a weekly diatribe or "polemic" as he often defined it, in which - on behalf of the common working man - he denounced politicians such as John Hume and Albert Reynolds, footballers, Jack Charlton, the FAI, the Irish football team, the Irish footballing public, TV hosts, and anything else that represented what he saw as the Official Face of Ireland. (Views that are uncannily like those that appear in the current Keane tome.)

Somewhere along the way, however, Dunphy became part of that Official Ireland - his earnings alone could hardly see him representing Ireland's working class or even be their hero - and he had to make a number of embarrassing U-turns, where he publicly apologised to John Hume and Albert Reynolds after he learnt that in fact they had managed to broker the IRA ceasefire; he ended up in court for making one libellous allegation too many and people started sueing him on a regular basis and winning. Not surprisingly, he eventually left the Sunday Independent cos he felt they weren't supporting his point of view and he didn't agree with the direction that paper was heading. (How strange!)

Over the last 10 years, he has always backed and supported Roy Keane in what he has done, on and off the pitch, and was forever eulogising him on the airwaves and would brook no negative view or discussion of him. Unfortunately, this wave of unabashed enthusiasm seems to have been a sufficient catalyst to persuade Roy Keane and his agent, Michael Kennedy, to give the contract for the book to Dunphy - a truly appalling decision and piece of bad judgement in the light of what has happened.

Dunphy's role in Keane's departure from Saipan this summer has yet to be completely revealed - if it ever will be. But from what has emerged so far, it clearly points to a far too dangerous relationship and advisor role by Dunphy in counselling Keane in what he should do. This, in my view, is the biggest travesty of Keane's departure and, I reckon, is something Keane will recognise in time. By that stage, unfortunately, it will be too late. Dunphy will have moved onto other easy pickings, having relished the front page editorials about himself, and trousered the hefty advances and other media revenues he will have gleaned from the whole sordid episode.

Anyone who is familiar with Dunphy's writings - and I'll be the first to say that he can write superbly when he wants to - will recognise the idiom, anguished language and tarnished old arguments that appear in the book about most of the topics that have hit the headlines. I find it difficult to believe that Roy is given to uttering some of the gnomic sayings that appear in the book, and if he did, he learnt them from someone who has been whispering bile and derision into his ear for some months, if not years, now.

I'm not saying that Keane is free from sin: some of the admissions in the book are pretty painful and disturbing - if not almost naive at the best of times. Yet, it's worth looking behind him to see those who are hovering in the background, supposedly wringing their hands about the plight he is now in, but who will eventually disappear having profited from the situation, leaving a magnificent footballer with the the dregs of a once great reputation and little to console himself with.

Shame on them.

24. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    It wasn't a vicious foul. He trotted into McAteer with his arm raised rather than "elbowing" in any real sense. Stupid, yes and in the end probably deserving of the sending off but hardly deserving of the condemnation that it's currently getting. McAteer certainly certainly wasn't hurt by it as Beckham was clearly saying as Keane walked off.

Any idea that Keane couldn't confront McAteer face to face is laughable. He's a fool at times, a hothead certainly but he's not a coward.

What puzzles me, girbo, is that Old Trafford apparently read Keane's book and ok'd it. I would have thought they should have recognised that there was trouble in the passage about Keane and Haaland.

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Are you joking? 11 red cards (the same number, at age 30, as "thug" Vinnie Jones amassed by the time of his retirement aged 35), countless assaults on fellow professionals, vicious, bulging-veined attacks on opponents, team mates and officials and violent, alcohol-fuelled outbursts off the pitch and still the official line from the land of Scuz remains a steadfast "Roy Keane, our God". These are the same people, remember that thought Eric Cantona's karate kick attack on some inconsequential little dirtbag at Selhurst Park was "perfectly understandable".

They're the seagulls following the trawler, if you know what I mean.

Roy Keane could have sawed McAteer's head off with a rusty butter knife in the centre circle of the Stadium of Light and still some people would be going "aaah, look. Our Roy, he's such a winner."

Get used to it. Part of being a "Man Yoo fan" is that you check your brains in at the front door.