Is Rooney the best England striker ever?

Discussion in 'England' started by footman2033, Sep 5, 2015.

1. footman2033

footman2033 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given that Rooney has just equaled the goalscoring record held by Bobby Chartlon, do you think that Rooney is the best England striker?

If not, who do you think it is the best England striker (ever)?

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    No.

Lineker is.

footman2033 repped this.
  3. footman2033

footman2033 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about Shearer?

4. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd say Shearer is the best English striker.

Lineker is the best England striker.

5. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Rooney is a top player but he has not turned into the player he should have, but him playing off Lineker would have been a great partnership IMO

LouisianaViking07/09 and thebigman repped this.
  6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Dixie Dean

footman2033 repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Surely Jimmy Greaves is the best striker ever to grace the shirt, nothing against Rooney but Greaves record is Insane, 44 goals in 57 games takes some doing.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney is one of the most overhyped and overawed players in English football history. People have acted in the past like he's up there with the best in the game, but he has never been close to ronaldo/Messi level and even suarez is infinitely better than Rooney peak

He's had one prolific season and has not been that harrying deeper forward for years which is no suprise, his body must be knackered.

The goal scoring record is padded by goals vs miners from eastern block countries and has only performed in 1 major tournament

He's been a very good player in the past but imo he's done and I would've taken shearer over him if u compare both

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If your comparing Shearer and Rooney, its no contest, would have Shearer every day of the week imo.

Its quite interesting looking at Shearers stats and I wonder if he would have been snapped up like a top team like Blackburn in its short time at the top in the current climate. I mean 23 goals in 118 games for Southampton is hardly that prolific. I mean if someone like Benik Afobe was around when Shearer was and with his current record, he could quite possible be playing for a top ten Prem team. #Give youth a chance!

10. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Bobby Chartlon, Alan Shearer, Gray Linker, Jimmy Greaves, Kelvin Keegan have better goal per game scoring records than Rooney. Surely you jest . . .

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't forget Nat Lofthouse.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO Rooney should have already broken it if it wasn't for injuries eariler in his career and several missed chances in games. Rooney should have around 60 goals with 90 some odd caps.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Precisely why he shouldn't. He wasn't good enough. He deserve his numbers.

A great servant to the country, but not near the best there ever was.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well there is still time to debate if he is the best there has been.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great striker. Better for club than he has been for country. It seems he has tons more goals against smaller teams. Though as they say you can only score against those you play. Maybe its the talent around him or something about him but he's never fully clicked at any WC Ive seen

footman2033 repped this.
  16. Alredo 'The Great'

Alredo 'The Great' New Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Hull
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's certainly the best of his time.

I've been watching football since 84/85, and there has been four strikers that stand out above the rest, namely, Lineker, Shearer, Owen and Rooney.

Without the terrible injury's he suffered, I think Michael Owen would have been the greatest player the country has ever produced. He was World class at 17 and 18 years of age, he was terrifying Premier league defences and International defences at that age, I've never seen a more confident player between the age of 17 and 22 than Owen.

Lineker and Shearer both produced for their Country in big tournaments (Lineker 86 & 90 WC, Shearer Euro 96).

Nowadays there are far more International games for Rooney to top up his goal tally, so I wouldn't read too much into the fact that he's the all time goal scorer, although at the same time you can't take that fact away from him.

Rooney just hasn't hit the high expectations of his teenage potential, although he's still had a fantastic career and has been his Country's talisman for the past ten years, which shows how high the expectations of him were.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^Great post

Sometimes what I ponder today is just how international the game is and whether the importance of club ball leaves the commitment of matches for your country lacking. Like at a club like Man United you need to give 100% or you will be benched. Not only that you wanna win the league and the CL. Maybe you give your less than in the Capital One Cup. Now whereas for the dozens of friendlies you play each a year, you don't have that killer edge that is required. And maybe it's the same for qualifiers. Players are on their S*^% for a tournament but don't always show that when it's the road to the tournament. Just a thought I've been pondering.

I wonder what year was it that he and Ronaldo diverged. Both performing at a high level and great consistency but Ronaldo just went into high gear and never let up while Rooney had highs and lows.

18. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    2006-2007 I think.

19. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Best striker I´ve seen in Three Lions is Gary Lineker.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

NO!

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jimmy Greaves, his scoring record for Chelsea, Milan, Spurs and England is fantastic, I do wonder how the world cup final in 66 would have panned out if he wasn't injured!