Is Ricardo clark an option for MNT (and/or jamaica)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dd601, Oct 21, 2004.

1. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    i think he should...

2. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    I think Rico suffered a bit of a sophomore slump this year with the Metros. Plus, there's quite a long line currently for D-Mid: Zavagnin, Mulrooney, Mastroeni, Armas (if healthy).

I think he needs a bit more seasoning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least called into camp if the Metros are out of the playoffs.

3. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this season was not a good one for Ricardo, however his performances the last four games or so have been a lot better.

Not that that merits a call up or anything, but hopefully we're seeing the return of the one true ricardo clark. :cool:

4. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Rico showed a lot of potential in his rookie season, but unfortunately for US fans, I think he'll retire from competitive soccer after the pounding and discouragement he's about to take from Christian Gomez.

:p

No, but really I'm sure Rico will get his chance with the national team soon. We'll have a very healthy competition in that spot in the near future with Rico, Dempsey, Sztela and maybe even Onyewu and Spector.

5. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Rico isn't Jamaican.

Rico's parents aren't Jamaican.

So, no he isn't an option for Jamaica.

6. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't see this supposed sophomore slump people keep talking about in reference to Rico.

He was injured, recovered, played his way back into the team, was tried at positions that may have seemed good, but ultimately did not suit him, and finally he was put back where he belongs - and has done EXTREMELY well.

Put Patrick Viera at RB or RM in a 4-3-3 and see what he does.

However the DM list ahead of him is tooooooo loooooong (CR, JOB, Pablo, Chris Armas, Kerry Z) so I think he is out of this cycle so far. The only thing working in his favor is the fact that 4 of those 5 guys have been picking up knocks in recent years.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Yeah the way he's been just shutting down the DCU attack with Gomez and Moreno... :rolleyes:

8. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE METROS GOT PATRICK VIERA?!?!?!? WOW...now they're gonna win it all!!!

:D

...how the best bigsoccer rumors get started.

9. GenXer

GenXer New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    in my head
    At this point, he's got a better chance of making the Nats as a RB than a Holding Midfielder. (He's a more skillful Tony Sanneh).

This past year he needlessly gave the ball away too much for the Metros. He must be nearly flawless in MLS to get a shot with the Nats.

He should be on Arena's radar though.

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rico has potential, but hes not a finished enough product.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Ricardo is Jamaican?

12. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm... no :)

and yea ricardo needs to keep on playing and improving. He just isn't at the nat level yet, though who knows...

13. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York

I tend to agree. Rico had a great first year but was plagued by injuries leading to inconsistent play. That being said, he also shows a bit more offensive potential in my mind than a few of our more senior holding midfield types (witness his goal last week). The problem Rico faces is that even if he plays real consistently next year, he is unlikely to be able to crack the team pre 2006 due to the options that we have there. Post 2006 he will then be competing with a whole new bevy of midfielder which include some potential mainstays in the midfield like Szetela. He may actually be better served getting more time at rb with the Metros and working on his wing play.

14. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your right about the list ahead of him but the other thing that works in his advantage is all of those players are old, except JOB whose body breaks down like he is 60 years old.

To describe his sophmore season this year there is one world that would apply this season but not last year:

Inconsistent

15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was disappointed by his slump this year. Besides some passing breakdowns, he also appears ungainly in his movements. I think the next two years will make or break him as a potential USMNT player. And I agree that he's well down the potential list right now. But... injuries and inconsistent playing time may have set him back much more than we know. We shall see.

16. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he meant is he an option for the jamaica game

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Ricardo Clark suffered his injury before the Olympic qualifiers started in Mexico. It took him a long time to recover and that's why his play was inconsistant, but when he struck that beautiful goal on the last week of the regular season that match showed he is back in tip top form. The last 4 to 6 regualr season matches finally showed that he was fully fit.

I don't expect Rico to be in the mix for 2006. But for 2010, he definetly has a shot, just like Gaven does.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Arena keeps calling Gaven up NOW to get him ready for 2010. He, like Clark probably, is at least in the mix NOW.

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Metrostars have the worst defense in the league. Clark (and Gaven) are part of that defense. Something is amiss and they contribute to it in some way I don't understand. That may be more of an issue for Rico than Eddie, as it should be for a defensive midfielder. Perhaps someone who has seen more Metros games in person can add something here. I find it very difficult to analyze defensive midfield positioning and tactics from televized games.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Another Eddie may be a bigger culprit in the Metrostars <lack of the> defensive prowess and their likely demise.

21. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I agree with you -- Gaven is certainly in the mix now. I'm not quite ready to pronounce Clark in the mix yet, though -- unless I'm just not remembering correctly, he's never even been called into camp, right? It's hard to argue that someone who's never been called into camp is in the mix now.

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, that was a bombazo, but I wanna see more than that, especially in his positioning, distribution and movement. Not convinced right now, but the potential is there.

23. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Along with Szetela, Rico is our most talented prospect at the position. Arena will probably call him up for some friendlies around the New Year. If he plays well, that will certainly put him into the mix.

24. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time that I would've loved to see Clark in a USMNT camp & challenging for a roster spot at DM.

But after the year he had with the Metros (what the hell happened to his play?), I don't believe he's a good option. At least, not at this time. Hopefully, Clark will "rebound" in 2005 with a solid year but, at this time, I'd say even Mulrooney (who I think "deserves" a look) is higher on the depth chart IMHO.

Zavagnin, Armas, Mastroeni, Mulrooney and, even Reyna makes for a crowded list at d-mid. I just don't see Clark in the "immediate" future for the USMNT.

25. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    You have to think that Ben Olsen might get a look at the position as well. He's looked great for DC this year. The technical side of his game has improved by leaps and bounds and he has not lost as much of his quickness as some people claim.