Is reverse discrimination still discrimination?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by steve-o, Mar 25, 2010.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I couldn't find a thread, but if this topic has already been covered I apologize...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=4956425
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016C4sUj5_8"]See the crowd's reaction at the conclusion of the Zeta routine[/ame]

One thing I noticed after viewing the video is there are light cheers from the crowd. That is normal for any competition, the cheers slowly grow in intensity as the second and ultimately the winner are named.

Judging by the crowd's reaction after the 2nd and 3rd place winners had been announced, they knew who had won the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42CsR-K0Mo"]competition[/ame]. I haven't seen the AKA performance and I can't tell you what constitutes a good routine vs. bad. But based on the reactions, after the 2nd place winner was announced everyone knew who won, meaning everyone knew who the top 2 were. So they were good enough to place, but not good enough to win it? For all the talk of racial equality and wanting to bridge the gap, tear down the wall, etc., actions like these do nothing to help either side.

I think it goes without saying this is a sensitive issue, keep your bigoted/racist comments to yourself because that does nothing to help progress. And we all know what would happen if the roles were reversed, the author touches on that, don't bring that up either.

But, its a two way street, and this is an issue that needs to be addressed. The only way to really go about it is much like Obama did with HCR, tackle it head on. Your thoughts?

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swlMFa3pvw&feature=related"]YouTube- 2010 Sprite Stepoff (Alpha Kappa Alpha) 2 of 5[/ame]

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought? Who gives a ********.

And after all that Sierra Mist has done for MLS, Sprite can go screw itself.

Steve-o let's be honest. You know what's the most awesomest thing in the world? Being a white man with an American passport. It's truer than true. And the more of those items you have, the less the world has sympathy for you when dumb stuff goes down.

In life, ZTU is the big winner.

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I won't disagree with anything you said.

But I'll be honest with you, the double standard is bullshit.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. But we have to pay the price for our ancestors being subhuman. It's not fair but it is what it is. So black people got hundreds of years of oppression and some white rich girls are forced to share a step prize.

Who wouldn't take that trade?

6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    That doesn't mean you can't work to make it fair. Of course that involves change and effort from both sides, something that is not too common.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's already happening. Pointing out isolated examples to the contrary does not mean that tremendous progress hasn't and doesn't continue to occur.

God, do I hope Auria gets in on this thread. This is in his wheelhouse.

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    But pointing out isolated incidents brings them to light and helps to root out further isolated incidents.

I hope he does. I welcome an open dialogue.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While marginalizing real progress in the name of sensationalism. Let's be honest. There are powerful people in our society on both sides, public and hidden, that want continuous racial conflict. Why? It keeps them in business. ABC is one of those places and used it's ESPN and Go arms to stir the pot. Coca Cola is another.

The day the races play nice is the day fear diminishes and the day people buy less crap. And that's the bottom line.

Yes there is a way to go but the bru ha ha from events like this stifle progress, not help it.

He'll open your cornhole. Trust me, I've been there.

10. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    that's just nasty.

11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Is reverse discrimination still discrimination?"

is counter terrorism still terrorism?
    is the anti-christ still christ?
    or is it obama?

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a tree falls on a mime in the woods, does anyone care?

13. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Seriously, if you're not going to contribute anything, just put yourself on ignore. or something like that

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In a thread like this, that's a very real contribution. What are the effects of discrimination versus the effects of "reverse discrimination"? Are they equivalent?

15. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I don't know. Is it? That'd be like asking is the reverse cowgirl the same as the cowgirl?

Kidding aside, that sounds like the same rhetoric you hear in Washington when it comes to spending. The GOP did it for 8 years, we've just done it for one...

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Don't try to compare today's reverse discrimination to yesterdays discrimination. Today they are about the same.

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Reverse Discrimination" does not exist. There is only Discrimination.

What matters is the structural impact that discrimination has, what it keeps from the discriminated party, how pervasive it is, etc.

It's about power, not so much about intent. If I dedicate my life to eradicating the earth of all Portuguese people, but it's just me, and I'm not really doing anything except keeping a blog about how much we need to kick all Portuguese people out of our country - that's racist and discriminatory, but i'm also a whacko.

Then there's Police pulling over any African American dude driving anything nicer than a Toyota, and doing full body search.

Which is worse?

1 person likes this.
  18. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    If you got rid of all the Portuguese people, you would be getting rid of me. That would be a huge net loss to the United States, as well as BigSoccer. :D

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so hard on yourself -- you can at least make a token effort, for example.......

[​IMG]

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I had a feeling you were a diver.

21. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Not a diver, but I guess you could call me a perpetual underachiever:)

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWBmTq3JJw"]YouTube- Doctor's Visit[/ame]

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw this thread earlier and had vowed not to get involved, but it looks like I'm being requested.

MitH, I guess I should be appreciative of the shout, but next time, do BigSoccer a favor and ask for my input on something that matters. Seriously. I'm in here for one post only unless it takes on a tangent of some importance.

Steve-o, you and the other ZTU sisters ought to be proud of yourselves. If HCR hadn't been such a heated issue, they might have won.

Exactly. That's about as grave as it's going to get up in here. Please tell me this isn't all that high on your scale of discriminatory atrocities. Lie if you have to.

It's not intended to be that way. I don't tolerate disagreement very well is all, nor do I gladly suffer fools who pretend not to grasp the meaning of a post of mine (Not talking about you, but another poster who has a muppet as his avatar- I'm sure I'll remember who it was as soon as I hit "submit")

I would have worded it more nicely myself

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    dannytoone is Cristiano Ronaldo?

Who would have thought...

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Nope, just Portuguese. And you can't talk either. ;)

I figured "why not" on a discrimination thread.