Is Ray Hudson on the bubble?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Casper1377, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I don;t think "we" as hans, gave him 3 years. 1 1/ 2 , maybe, but when things went dowhill after the 2nd season, we turned on him.

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hudson is not on the bubble. the previous regime left him with crap, and he fiddled with, and was left brown handed. What he needs to do, with very few exceptions, is clean out this team. I think the suprisingly ineffective Moreno should be replaced or assume a Marco's role. Marco, despite his fire, is a liability. Oh and McKinley, Williams and Alavanja should be gone along with Roy the whole veteran leadership crap didn't work.

Starting XI - 2003

-------Rimando------
    Reyes---Pope--Prideaux
    --Nelsen-----Free Agent
    Convey--Moreno--Olsen
    ---Quaranta-Quintanilla-

On the bench
    G - McGinty
    D - free agent, draft pick
    M - Alegria
    F - Ludwig or Curtis, draft pick

One free agent move and better overall team health make a big difference. Cap room will be cleared with Ammann retiring. To me the front five looks very menacing, they just need someone to show them how to win.

I am very disappointed with how this season has gone, but the return of Olsen and acquisition of Quintanilla had me very excited, until the whole Gazza thing.

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    The team is struggling offensively now, no doubt, but I think they have taken some concrete steps, outlined above, to build a good side. People again forget that personnel policy in this league is very different because of single entity and salary cap. This is STILL the main problem Thomas Rongen had while at DCU. Things deteriorated off the pitch because they had gotten poor on it, you can't expect to have half of your championship-winning sides be forced to leave, and then not have any ill effects.

And so does the griping about Hudson start now? The cap would not allow him to just go and draft whomever he wanted, just like it didn't allow Rongen to keep Agoos, Llamosa, etc... .

And for anyone who watched last Saturday's match, can you doubt Richie Williams' value to the side. He plays a very important holding role, and while he is not a national team player anymore, he has helped this team quite a bit. Get over his being so short already.

4. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    At least we didn't do what the Revolution did! They picked up Chacon, Llamosa, Twellman, Ralston, Diallo, Serna, and others and are still in 9th place!

Just goes to show that personnel is not everything!

5. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true.

6. SousaJP

SousaJP New Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    I believe in Ray and am looking forward to good things in 2003.

7. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    ????????????????????????????

8. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    DCU -
    In sormum's world, Convey is an A-League player (although all other nine teams would be happy to take him off our hands) and Hudson acquired RDA. His pessimism has generally been on target this season and last, but he's clearly a native Washingtonian, as he invents facts to fit his view of the world/DCU. :)

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I think Ray deserves a shot at molding his own team..

But, one thing that can't possibly happen again is the major bungling of the draft this past season..

This simply can not happen again..

All I am going to say on the subject is that a very reliable source close to the team has mentioned to me a very prominent replacement should Hudson get the axe over the offseason..

His initials are D.S. ........

Figure it out.......

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    David Seaman?

Could be really good for the team. Has one year left at Arsenal...looking for post Arsenal work...

11. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope he gets a haircut.

12. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Sarachan with Arena as sort of a personnel consultant? At least until WCQs pick up? Or just Sarachan by his lonesome?

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Rimando is 10x better than a healthy Ammann.

Ammann sucks. He could probably stop more shots right now with his slings on than he did for us last year.

Nick Rimando is tied for 3rd in GAA in the league, there is no argument to how much better he is than the crap waste of $150,000 that Mike Ammann is. It's ridiculous that he even makes that much money. Rimando is way better and makes way less.

14. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't think rimando's that good. he had the best defense in the league in front of him last year and has a very much improved defense in front of him this year.

plus, he's short. thumbs down to short keepers.

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    d39sheon!!!

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That argument just won me over.

Seriously though, with Ammann in the net we'd be (mathematically) out of playoff contention already.

17. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i guess since that's such a well-substantiated opinion that is impossible either to prove or disprove...

rimando was not worth the allocation pick we used on him.

18. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Worth an allocation pick? That is a whole other comment than Rimando is better than Ammann (to which I agree).

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would you have taken at that point, Marshall?????? Then who would be in nets, McGinty??????? No thanks. Rimando has his faults but so did Tony Schumacher so let's not run the kid out of town, Besides it is United tradition to have a new Keeper every couple of years.

(Causey, Simpson, Garlick, Presthus, Ammann, Rimando)

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    As for the player move concerning Armstrong, what is it that is so great about Steven Armstrong! He's playing for a playoff bound side and has scored a grand total of 3 goals and 6 "assists" this year in 19 games! Not exactly tearing up the league now is he...

Give me Brandon Prideaux any day!

21. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    adin brown was taken about a million years later.

bah! i'm all about overstatement. i care little for facts or anything goofy like that.

22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Very true.

And also the fact that he was not going to displace Bobby Convey in the long run.

23. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, there aren't any such rumors. As for rumblings, there are always rumblings from some quarters about everyone. Some want to give Arena the boot from the US Nats. Credible rumblings? Not that I've heard.

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    My point exactly.

Rimando, however, was a good choice in the draft, and McGinty is a great back-up.

Exactly, we're still somewhat thin on defenders however we seem to have no problem filling the left side attacking role. Q2, Convey, Mapp.

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spongebob is our next coach?