Is parity beckoning?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by kejj1212, Dec 7, 2004.

1. kejj1212

kejj1212 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    I for one enjoyed the Women's Cup and thought that it was refreshing to see some new teams making a run for the championship. I think that it is premature to think that the storied North Carolina program won't be in the mix for a while, but I do think that the total dominance that they have held in winning championships is starting to diminish. Just as the UCLA college basketball teams and the Celtic basketball teams of old, the Carolina dynasties, (not their legacy) is going to be challenged. Just as free agency and salary caps changed the landscape of professional sports, I believe the prominence and development of female soccer athletes will make it much more difficult for one program to dominate. Add to that the infusion of top international talent and it appears that the playing field is becoming more level. It's no coincidence that the Carolinas' and the Notre Dames' for that matter challenge perennially for the Cup. Teams like those horde national, international and regional talent. Add to that great coaching, an outstanding academic community and tradition and you can see how such schools get the pick of the litter. My point is that the litter is getting bigger and I don't believe that because the Yankees, Dukes, and North Carolinas of the world aren't in the finals the game or it's viewership will suffer irreparable harm. I like seeing those types of teams in the finals, but if by chance they don't make it I still watch the game. Heck, maybe MY team will be in the finals instead!

2. echo7

echo7 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    SW Michigan
    I agree. I brought this up yesterday. UNC won 13 of the first 14 Championships and five of the last ten. They were not even in two of the last three finals. I did not bring this up to bash UNC but to point out that parity is quickly approaching. The reasons you mention are all valid. The more teams capable of challenging for a title the better it is for the game.

I look for your Buckeyes to be in the thick of things before you know it. The Big 10 is catching up.