Is Oscar Pareja a HOFer?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Tyler66, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Is Oscar Pareja a HOFer?

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pareja certainly deserves to be in the FCD Hall of Fame.

Probably not the other ones, though.

3. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I didn't vote because my choice wasn't available...

Oscar belongs in the first class of Burn players to receive their
    plaque on the Walk of Fame along with Leonel, Dodd, Kreis, Zarco & Haynes.

Oneonta: no.

MLS HOF: neutral ("yes" based on emotional (biased) sentiment)

-bs

4. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, unfortunately, but if PHP ends up with anyting like a ring of honor, he goes in first. The guy is total class, and will be missed horribly. He's so well respected and intelligent that I think he has to be a coach on this or some other team. He deserves his shot at the brass ring.

5. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto across the board.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in my walk of fame top ten, Oscar needs a strong coaching career in US to be US HOF or the Texas Walk of Fame. He should be in the FCD wall of honor (or whatever) if there is one.

7. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    A good player, and should probably be in the FC Dallas/Burn Hall of Fame/Ring of Honor/Whatever. I don't see much of an argument for being in the MLS Hall of Fame, if there were such a thing. Here's what I look at first when thinking about things like this: 1.) Did he play on any championship teams or very strong non-championship teams, and if so, what was his role? 2.) Did he ever win or was he a finalist for any MVP or other awards such as Defender of the Year? 3.) How many selections to the postseason Best XI? 4.) How many All-Star teams did he play on? 5.) How many games did he play in his career? 6.) Special considerations.

As near as I can tell, the only criterion he scores well on is number of games played. Without looking it up (okay, so I'm lazy today) I don't think he was on more than a couple of All-Star teams, if that, and players like Dante Washington, Mike Clark and Dario Brose have been on All-Star teams at least once. I wouldn't consider them Hall of Famers.

I guess if you're a Burn fan you could say that the fact that you really like the guy is a "special consideration" worthy of a vote. Players in all sports get sympathy votes sometimes. But I don't see much of an argument for contending that Pareja is a Hall of Fame-quality player rather than just a good player.

U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame? Please. Then again, Mike Windischmann got in, so who knows?

8. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Who?

9. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team: