Is Omar even thinking about representing Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Respuesta: Re: Is Omar even thinking about representing Mexico?

Hugo Ayala > Omar Gonzalez... 'nuff said

We don't fancy athletic freaks if they're not sound with the ball in their feet, also we have many good CBs prospects so there's no need to call that guy... I would preffer to develop Hiram Mier (22 years old, 6 ft 1 in), Kristian Álvarez (19 years old, 6 ft 1⁄2 in) or Néstor Araujo (20 years old, 6 ft 2 1⁄2 in), all them younger and with better touch.

2. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Both Bartra and Muniesa are Spanish youth internationals and have impressed when they have played with Barca's A team, not to mention the fact that they are younger than Gonzalez and have played at a much higher level.

I really don't know how you come to these conclusions but they don't seem to be based on reality.

As far as Mexico being interested in Gonzalez, it's possible but extremely doubtful since Mexico has a few prospects younger than Gonzalez that have proven themselves at different levels and will all be a part of Mexico's WC qualifying campaign. Guys like Araujo, Ayala, Mier and Alvarez.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway, it seems Gonzalez was merely being diplomatic when he answered the reporter's question. I'm sure his priority is to suit up for the USMNT.

3. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can respect your input on this but evidently you came in late into this argument. So hear is a little clarity. We were talking about Marquez playing for the B-Team ( as a mentor ). Besides that with Omar blowing out his Knee, everyone through out this thread has already agreed it is a moved point now so your right about it isn't a big deal now. When this thread started he was healthy and made a quote about talking to the Tri.

And as for being based on reality, you should know exactly what people are talking about before you drop a loaded statement like that. Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.

4. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Respuesta: Re: Is Omar even thinking about representing Mexico?

Thanks for the names, if any these guys for Mexico breaks into the starting line up. I will check them out but you made my point, Omar towers over all of them at 6.5. I agree there touch is probably better but that isn't going to help them in defense of crosses and corner kicks. What I like about your statement, is you actually had support for statement. But if you look at successful CB's they are tall and there is a reason for that. "nuff said"

5. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Now maybe I'm being ignorant, but can you list me 5 top 10 "greats" that played CB that are 6ft3 or over? For your statement to be true you would need at least 50% and I can't think of that many greats that are that tall, but I may be forgetting some. I don't think height is as important as you make it out to be thanks

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At 6'4, Gooch has 6 goals for the US in 62 games. That's roughly 1 goal every 10 games. Not bad for a defender, however, the point i'm making is despite the fact that Gooch is 6'4 teams have managed to keep him off the score sheet on corners.

As for crosses, the players the other poster had listed were all above 6'. The tallest person they would have to be worried about on the US team when it comes to crosses is 6'3 (Shea) and he's not that great in the air. Neither is Jozy at 6'1. Dempsey at 6'1 is their biggest threat in the air.

Dont put so much emphasis on height and strength when it comes to player analysis on CB's. They are certainly factors, but not make all/break all. Cannavaro was a solid CB and only 5'9 at some of the highest levels of soccer. Bocanegra at 6' has the same scoring rate as Gooch and the vast majority (if not all) were off set plays and corner kicks.

7. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bro, nobody is calling you ignorant. Take any center back under 6 Ft and maybe they can get the job done. I will take Oneywu and that would be my preference. Most goalies are 6.3 and above but Jorge Campos was tiny and one of the greats. Your reading way to much into it. I am not going to list every great tall center back, it's a tactical idea...That's it. Let's just play the games and see what happens.

8. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, I am not putting TOO MUCH preference on height but I do believe size matters ;) Anyways, I agree fully with everything you said. Solid analysis.

9. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

No no, I wasn't saying you were calling me ignorant or anyone for that matter...I was just saying maybe I'm being ignorant because I couldn't think of that many at all. So I was asking you to help me, and in turn prove your "theory"

10. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gotcha, I actually like your ideas but this is one of those things that I don't think can proved. It's all preference. Sorry, if you took it the wrong way but Mexico vs USA is a touchy subject in the forums and I have to be careful to not cross any lines of respect. The truth is the topic isn't a Mexico thing or USA thing, it's about player deciding what Nation to play for and where he fits in. The original question was how serious was Omar when the subject was brought up. I'm glad to strand is back on topic.

11. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

As far as the player deciding, I feel the player is open to both, but only he knows. My hunch is that he wants to play for the US.
    Where he fits in? The US.
    He is immersed in the US system and style, doesn't appear to be in any plans by Chepo at the moment. He fits the mold of a US defender. He certainly has physicality, but that is only a plus not the main attribute the Mexican team seeks in a player.