Is MISL doomed due to the expansion of USL and MLS?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by REALfootballRulez, Aug 28, 2007.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually have always liked indoor soccer. I was a big fan of the Steamers during their heyday in St.Louis when MISL actually got some national headlines once in a while. Those were the days when you had Steve Zungul, Tatu, and Preki. Since there was no pro outdoor league in America that may have helped MISL thrive.

But with the outdoor pro game bigger now than it's ever been in America is the indoor game on its deathbed? I actually think indoor soccer is more exciting in some ways than outdoor soccer but outdoor soccer had that global appeal of being of a large field on a world stage that indoor doesn't.

I'm asking because the MISL used to be a much bigger league with a lot more teams and much higher attendance. There were actually years in the 80s when the Steamers here outdrew the NHL team, the Blues!! They were getttin 18,000 a game!! For indoor soccer! But the Steamers are now in hiatus and will they ever come back especially with a MLS team for St.Louis coming soon?

The last year the Steamers were here a couple years ago they only drew around 3 or 4 thousand and I know that's true in other places in the league. So, what's the future for the MISL?

2. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Our Commissioner should answer this. I think the MLS is no threat to indoor at this point. The USL has many problems at their highest level. The best USL-1 cities will eventually go to the MLS. The MISL has a business plan but they won't tell anyone what it is.

3. 4everStorm

4everStorm New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Nope because indoor fans are indoor fans and outdoor fans are outdoor fans.
    There is not much cross over and that may be why they brought Tony Meola into the MISL to create a little cross over.The only time ther was a cross over is when the NASL teams played both brands of soccer.

4. Naroz

Naroz New Member

May 11, 2007
    A couple of things:

The Illinois MLS team that will use the St. Louis name is far from a done deal. It's close, but as us long time indoor fans have learned, close doesn't always get you there. Wait until the Collinsville city council hears from their constituents and then votes on September 10.

The last year the Steamers were in St. Louis (2005-06), they averaged 5,675, not 3 or 4 thousand.

5. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    I think this used to be true but most indoor fans now follow some outdoor. It is the outdoor fans that don't like indoor.

I do have friends who love indoor who wouldn't be caught dead at an outdoor match. Too boring they say.

Meola is a good idea. A relationship with the USL-1 would make sense too.

6. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    St' Louis is known as a great soccer town. Even when the NASL had fallen apart in the late 60s-early 70s, one of the few remaining franchises was the St. Louis Stars with a a ton of Americans on the roster. I think the MLS knows that St. Louis would be a great town for a team.

The Steamers had great crowds but like most other teams in the MISL, they lost a boat load of money. I hope the Steamers do return soon.

7. Pick Me! Pick Me!

Pick Me! Pick Me! New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    maybe if mls moved to a winter season. personally, i enjoy going to blast games when the dc united season ends.

8. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    I'm a huge soccer fan in general - outdoor or indoor, men's or women's. It doesn't matter. In a perfect world, we'd have an MLS team and an MISL team in St. Louis. That would be awesome to be able to watch soccer year round.

And there is a chance that the Steamers will return in 2008-09. Keep in mind that the SLU Billikens (basketball) will be moving out of the Scottrade Center following the 2007-08 season and moving into their new on-campus arena.

Apparently, Scottrade Center/St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts is interested in bringing back the Steamers so we'll see what happens. This I've heard from Steve Ryan himself. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen. Checketts will need fillers for dates, but he could no doubt do much better with 15 more concerts, ice skating, or WWE events. He may also lose the MVC men's basketball tournament as well to the new Sprint Center in Kansas City.

No word on any time frame for Checketts. A lot may depend on how well the New Jersey MISL team does, since their ownership group also owns the NHL New Jersey Devils.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Futsal is expanding in the traditional soccer nations, so I don't see why MISL cann't continue to thrive. A winter league connection for the MSL players, for those with propensity for the sport, of course, could or should be studied by both leagues. I see benefits for both.:)

10. 4everStorm

4everStorm New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I am sure the reason why MLS players are not alowed to play in the MISL is because it is very physical.
    Think aboout this,the skill level in the MISL would improve if MLS players were allowed to play and that would mean some of the physical play would be replaced with more players with soccer skills.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Jersey is notorious for bad attendance. The Devils won the Stanley cup 2 or 3 times yet their attendance has been shameful to the point that commentators have criticized it.

Why of all the places in the country would you pick New Jersey for an MISL team? In that area somewhere in New York state would probably be better.

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Because it's in a large market with a fabulously wealthy owner in a new arena and presents all kinds of opportunities for the league if it is executed well.

And they don't have to draw well, they only have to draw relatively well. If they can draw 6,000+ they're doing OK. Really, if they can SELL 4,500 tickets a game they'll do well with their ridiculous prices.

13. CougarsMartin

CougarsMartin New Member

May 18, 2007
    Stockton, CA
    I don't think that the MISL will have ANY negative consequences out of the expansion of the USLs and MLS.
    If anything the growing popularity of soccer in general in the US will help all leagues to do better.

Besides indoor and outdoor soccer are quite different on a lot of different levels. I can second what has been said, that some outdoor 'hardcore' fans will at no price come into an arena and see an MISL game.

Too bad for them, they have no idea what they are missing.

But I really believe we all can co exist and co grow quite nicely.

Can't wait for the time to come (in not such a distant future) when Stockton Arena will be packed for every home game with 10,000 soccer fanatics!

GO COUGARS!!!

Martin

14. Kevin McMillan

Oct 17, 2006
    Edmonton
    Meh... the MISL will kill the MISL long before anyone else will, they've long been their own worst enemy

15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Kevin,

What's happening with the CMISL? I read that someone in Winnipeg is interested in the MISL and I extrapolated that it was the Alliance owner and maybe his uncertainty has put the breaks on the CMISL.

Edmonton is the only team with a hint of activity if you scan all the websites. They've set ticket prices and added several sponsors.

16. Kevin McMillan

Oct 17, 2006
    Edmonton
    Well, you've got about as much information there as I've heard... then again I'm kind of out of the loop now... some would argue I was never in it to begin with lol

Apparently Edmonton has a deal to use a new arena out in the suburbs (~2,000 seater)... but there has been no talk about any who's, where's or whens as per the league.... I'd be guessing it'll be a pretty small operation however it works this year, but Edmonton seems to be sticking with the high price point ticket wise, and it appears they have some staff, including a name or two from the former incarnate.

It'll be interesting how it all plays out

17. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I for one was an Outdoor soccer fan. I never knew a professional indoor league existed before the Chicago Storm came to the MISL. I knew about the Power, but that was a long time ago.

But, now I like indoor more than outdoor as I like playing it more. Come on as a goalie the goals are smaller and you get more action. what isn't to like?

I agree with Kevin McMillan:
    The league will probably kill itself as just look at good ole "Fresh Money"

18. waltman_fan_4ever

waltman_fan_4ever New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Canton, MI
    I definitley follow the MISL, theres no questions about that. I do follow some outdoor, but not very much. the MLS is boring... now the EPL on the other hand... I follow that :D

19. SimonAllen

SimonAllen New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    L.A.
    Waltman... Im interested...how is MLS boring in comparison to the EPL ???

We occasionally talk about the MISL on our podcast World Soccer Wrap and I have found that soccer fans like one or the other and only a few like to watch both...
    As a player I played both and found Indoor way too hard..but an exciting way to bring non-soccer fans into the sport...
    Having only watched MISL at a distance...I can say that one thing they're lacking is good marketing...other than that the product is great.
    Also... to expand its fan base... the MISL could set up outdoor soccer teams in their organizations and join USL or MLS... a long shot but one worth looking into...Any MLS expansion is bad for MISL...so why not try to join-up...

Simon Allen
    World Soccer Wrap

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Interesting idea for sure.

21. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee Wave United...failed
    Montreal Impact came indoors....failed
    any others folks?

tried with very little success

22. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    The MISL is doomed because despite the same 20 people in this forum posting over and over again, nobody really cares about indoor soccer outside of Baltimore. I enjoy the sport, and I still go, but people need to realize the halcyon days are over...it was an enjoyable fad during the 80's, but it's 2007. Indoor soccer is the Rubik's Cube of sports.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    What's that ? :)

24. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I personally don't agree with much of that, including that people in Baltimore actually care about the Blast. Just because the Blast organizes field trips for 3,000 kids to each game doesn't mean there is a built-in desire for the general populace to buy tickets or follow the team.

I don't think indoor will be as popular as it was in the 1980s anytime soon, but it has at least as much potential as af2 or ultimately even the AHL.

25. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    af2 isn't exactly a picture of health to be making comparisons. Some teams get great crowds for 3-4 years... now Louisville is nearly on its way out, and the others don't sustain. Arena Football never quite gets over the hump until getting submarined by one or two little things.