Is Metro more Jersey or New York?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by marlon006, Oct 11, 2003.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I'll admit to "jumping" over to the New York club. I get flamed all the time, so it's not like I'll hear anything I haven't heard before. Maybe I'll go out to the Meadowlands to watch the Metros get clobbered by San Diego.

2. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I dont see a need for a location to be part of the team name... Its MetroStars now and when they move to Harrison it should be the MetroStars still... not Harrison MetroStars or NJ MetroStars just MetroStars!!

3. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Maybe not!

4. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    New Jerse. The Metros should be called the NJ MetroStars.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    All I know is that if NYC gets an MLS expansion team...... I'll be at The Old Shilling :)

6. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I'll answer. I do not know. I've been a Metro fan since 2001. I think that it depends on when the expansion team would start playing.

7. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I think the Galaxy should be called the Carson Galaxy or California Galaxy.

8. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or possibly even the Long Beach Galaxy. :D

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I think the Metrostars should just be NJ Metrostars so that way if New York/Long Island gets a team they can be NY so then you can have a nice NY vs NJ rivalry between the clubs.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since I'm the one who posed the question, I guess I should answer. I don't know as well. And like bert said, it would depend when. If for arguments sake started one up next season, I'd jump ship. I've only seriously started following the club this season so my loyalties aren't as deep as most of you guys. Or if they started one during the expansion year, I'd probably still jump ship. But if they didn't start one for say another 5-10 years, it'd be real tough. I'm assuming that I'd be too rooted into the team as a fan to ever want to leave. However, I'm kinda hoping that they don't start up a NY franchise, just because I'm having way too much fun in my first season with the MetroStars.

11. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm speaking as an expat Jerseyite, but I think that if they started a team in NY and situated it in Queens/LI, then people who live in the other boroughs would at least have a choice as to who they would support, as the transit time to each would be similar.

But if they changed the name of the existing team to "New Jersey Metrostars" to clarify the differences, you would still have an exodus of NYC-based fans, regardless.

12. Inked AG

Inked AG New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Queens
    I rather it be the NY Metrostars. New Jersey is a state that wishes it was NY. It's trying to steal the Statute of Liberty, took most of Ellis Island and even smells like Staten Island. If the Metros played in NY, I'd have no reason to go to Jersey and would be mighty content with that.

13. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA

1.How exactly does New Jersey want to be New York??

2.Does it really upset people because the team plays its games in New Jersey? sucks that the great city doesn't have a suitable stadium.

3. Why is this thread back?

14. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I vote for NJ Metros, that way the preppies in Fairfield County will never support you.

15. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    Harrison is about 10 seconds from manhattan. if this NY team is way out in long island, closer to England than to NYC would u just route for them because they hav NY in their name?
    metro will never be nj metrostars. if its just a nj team, then it is no longer a metro area team.
    just call the damn team metro. metro sc, FC metro, Red Star Metro, Metronazionale. it doesnt matter. dont kno y they dont just change the name to that. it sounds so much cooler.

16. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... guy resurrects the thread just to rip on Jersey with the same old tired stuff. Great. :rolleyes:

By the way, only North Jersey wishes it was New York. South Jersey wishes it was Pennsylvania.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a good reason Staten Island smells like New Jersey (whatever that means), look at a map.

18. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    Re: Re: Is Metro more Jersey or New York?

how am i trolling? by asking a legitimate question to nyc metro fans that u decide to omit from the quote?
    i live in NJ, ive already said they should never call the team NY and that it bothers me when other people do.
    im already a Nets fan, and yes they're just a New Jersey team. hence the name "New Jersey Nets". being "just NJ" isnt an insult. its not a put down like, "oh them? they're just the nuggets. dont worry about them." i mean "just NJ" as in "exclusively NJ".
    but who needs logic when im just trolling.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand by that statement. You started by saying Metro will never become NJ Metro. You can't possibly know that. By disagreeing with some people who would like the name change (myself included) via something you can't possibly prove, then going into Metro not being a metro area team, which is just plain false, you are in my opinion trolling.

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I honestly believe that there would be more interest in this franchise if they were called NY MetroStars. The NJ turns off a great number, whether the handful of people who do support this franchise care to admit it or not. People take notice of anything connected with NYC.

As for the "just a NJ team" theme within this thread: why are the Devils and Nets in such crisis? The Giants and Jets have no problem drawing crowds to the Meadowlands, but both have embraced their "NY" designation as a highly effective strategic marketing and merchandising ploy.

Right or wrong, New Yorkers are disinclined to support a Jersey sports franchise, whereas Jersey residents are proven supporters of NY sports franchises.

The NY/NJ tag was the first of countless terrible marketing decisions by what was initially the Empire Soccer Club. The failure to solidify a link with the world's greatest city, to market themselves as NY's soccer team, has proven to be a terrible error in judgment. Meanwhile, when you hear other MLS coaches and players refer to this franchise, or when you see the club mentioned in the foreign media, they almost always refer to it as "NY." The only place it isn't identified as such is locally, where the franchise appears to suffer from an identity crisis.

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Given all the fantasy talk considering and/or suggesting a Euro-title for the club (or for a promised/threatened second metro-area MLS franchise), I just thought how nice it would be to have a franchise simply called NY CITY.

They could wear blue shirts and feature Reyna in the midfield :)

22. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Reyna is a Jersey boy at heart

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree. If you live in NYC and want to go to an MLS game, Metros are your only option for the time being. And if/when an NYC team comes into being, all the NYC-snobs will switch to it anyway, so Metros may as well go for the Jersey market.

The Giants and Jets could call themselves New Jersey (or virtually anything else) and would draw sellout crowds because they play football, and football is huge. Devils and Nets have a couple problems. They play in a bad location, charge high prices, and they play hockey and basketball. The Rangers and Knicks on the other hand have the greatest location ever, and thus can overcome the other issues that their sports (especially hockey) have. If the Newark arena ever comes into being then it might start to be somewhat of a fair fight.

A fair point perhaps, but keep in mind that the Rangers are much older than the Devils, and the Knicks are much older than the Nets. Be interesting when the NYC teams starts since the reverse will be true. Plus, until fairly recently, the Rangers and Knicks had much better TV deals. I'm a Ranger fan primarily because I could watch them on TV, whereas I couldn't with the Devils or Islanders.

Part of this is the franchise used to be "NY/NJ" (which was hideous), and now is "", so what do you call it? People are used to referring to teams by their geographical name, and absent one they just used what they used to be, even if you go to the game without once setting foot in NYC.

As for the media, most I see still call it "NY/NJ", I think mostly because the Metros really didn't tell anyone they dropped the name. If they officially changed to New Jersey everyone would call them that.

I think the downside to a name change is minor, especially if it coincides with the move to Harrison. Maybe the upside is too, and it's kind of a moot point.

24. metroOLE!

metroOLE! New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    CORDOBA
    OK. WELL. I'm a spanish fan. I follow the MLS from my spanish city. My favorite team is METROS.. because is nice.. a team for two cities... in spain is on the contrary .. "TWO OR THREE TEAMS FOR THE SAME CITY" (also... Real Madrid, Atletico de Madrid, Rayo Vallecano, etc.etc) for me and others in spain is very nice ONE TEAM for two UNITED CITIES.. Jersey/NewYork NewYork/Jersey... it's the same it's THE BIG METROPOLITAN AREA OF THE WORLD.. AND THEY ARE OUR TEAM...

OLE METROS !!!
    VIVA METROSTARS !!!!
    UP NEW JERSEY UP NEW YORK !!!
    UP THE IRONS !!!!!

25. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Holla