Is Mathis toast?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by macheath, Dec 13, 2005.

1. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    At the risk of generating intense flame throwing, is Mathis totally out of the MNT picture, and should he be? Given our lack of consistent goal scoring, especially from mid-range, is Cletus worth a look at this point? Or is his game gone?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Toast sounds too fresh & crisp to describe Clint. He's one of those English pub sandwiches that was made 3 days ago, has been sitting under the glass for 3 June days without air conditioning or ventilation, with the pink-stuff-that-is-allegedly ham glistening with the first stages of putrefication.

I love the guy, but I love Kenny Stabler too, and God bless Kenny's heart I don't think he's quite the answer for the Bears at quarterback.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say Yes. I was at a clinic a couple months back with someone from the USMNT staff (not Bruce's inner circle, but a staff member), while discussing the squad in general, Cletus was pretty much implied that the coaches have grown pretty frustrated with him.

Sad, he really has a talent to offer the team that is so lacking.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I am afraid so....

I have seen nothing from Clint since returning to MLS that suggests he is anywhere close to the national team.

3 goals and 4 assists at Real Salt Lake in 27 games puts him nowhere in my books.
    The Clint of old that would be useful to the USA National Team would have been able to do more - even individually.

I wish Clint the best, but don't think he's the answer.

5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Washington DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell you what though, "The Snake" is still a great announcer for Bama games, and I have enjoyed a drink or two with him in Tuscaloosa bars. Myabe it will be the same with Cletus down the road.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People question Mathis' heart and dedication, but honestly, I don't know. He seems to be less physically gifted. He's only 29, though, and he played well even after recovering from his ACL. I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps he's just burnt out.

It seems almost certain that he's down with the National Team. :(

7. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Problem=

[​IMG]

8. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    get out the butter and jelly.

9. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    He just got traded to Colorado (for Jeff Cunningham), interesting ...

10. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Since he hasn't been invited to camp in quite a while despite being healthy and we looked at lots of new players in the last two qualifiers, I think he definitely is out of the picture.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is mathis toast? ah, it feels just like 2003 around here again.

of course he is, becuase he doesn't care either way. :(

12. Jay510

Jay510 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually he might be...Orton is an awful quarterback

as for mathis...its pretty sad to see....his brillance was on hand against S. Korea in 2002. He touched the ball 2 times that game and scored once. and that goal was incredible. Its a shame becasue i think he could be a more effective backup than twellmann at striker.

its time for all of us to move on

13. Klay

Klay Member

Feb 28, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see him again. Think back to his last two caps, his only ones of 2005.
    First game vs Honduras..Mathis strikes a 40 yard bomb that smashes on the crossbar right to EJ who puts in the rebound.
    Second game vs Columbia..scores a goal off a corner..that he took.

can you judge him because he didnt score goals at centermid at the RSL? Honestly besides Andy Williams they didnt have offensive production.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Clint doesn't fuhk around. When he scores a goal, its a goal of the week candidate.

15. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    Guys, there is a larger issue at hand here.......... Why do guys, who are mostly strikers btw, have to act like asses/prima-donnas and limit there opportunities for either a club or national team....?? The Rapids org recently did acquire one alledged malcontent for another, and again, they both play striker ??? Then you have guys oversees that do the same thing (see Baros and Owen for examples)....... I can even give an example of a striker on my beer-league team who recently just walked off the field and eventually the team............. Keepers aren't stranger, Strikers ARE !!!!

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    strength of the USA team- 11 players working hard together.With Mathis it is mostly 11v 10.

17. Beck11

Beck11 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Nashville/Knoxville
    I think that is why everyone gets so frustrated with him. He never just gets in position for the tap in, or hustles down the endline making the keeper commit and passing to a teammate for the tap in.

His goals and assists are incredible. He will have a jaw dropping pass or free kick, and people will talk about how he is the only player in our pool who could make that play. Often times he is. People only see highlights when they look at Clint, they just see untapped potential.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Did you hear about when FourFourTwo approached Raul & Zidane for a cover story? Raul said that he would only appear on the cover if he was alone. Zidane said he would only appear if his Real Madrid teammates joined him.

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the lack of depth in our striker pool warrants his inclusion on the list of potential backup, role playing strikers and makes him worthy of a look for that role in the January camp.

Mathis seems like a good fit for the backup, role playing striker for a few reasons when considering his competition for that role. He has world cup experience, he has a better shot than people competing for the role, better passing and ball skills than people competing for the role, he can shoot from distance unlike his competition, he can be dangerous on direct kicks unlike his competition, he can create his own chances to score, and if worse came to worse injury-wise in our midfield he can still play midfield to some degree (which might be better given the confidence boost of making the team).

When mentioning his competition I have the following in mind: Casey, Ching, Wolff, Twellman, Rolfe, and Gomez. I also think only one of these players will be included as a back up striker as LD will also play this role.

Looking at the competition I think Ching, Wolff, and Twellman have the best chances with Rolfe having at least a tiny chance and Gomez possible no chance. Given that feeling I think that Rolfe is the only interesting one as the others are all known quantities. Well, at least Twellman is a known quantity according to Bruce ("You're not going to see much of a difference from players, say like a Taylor Twellman," said Arena. "He's pretty close to a finished product." http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=346895&root=mls&cc=5901 )

Considering the unknowns of Rolfe and Gomez I feel like they are so unknown and have so little time to impress that their chances being flavors of the month are greater than their chances of making the team no matter how much more I would prefer to see one of these two over the known quantities.

Knowing what we know about these known quantities makes me think that none of them can offer more off the bench or as a starter at striker than Clint can. That said, Clint deserves at least a look.

20. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I dunno about toast, but Mathis is definiatly doritoed.

21. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd really like to see Mathis get in form enough to be included on the team. I just don't think it's very likely. He is incredibly talented, and I'm sure it's possible that he could get back in form, but it's unlikely to happen by the time Arena has to make his selections (really before that, since he'd certainly need another convincing cap or two to make the team, and he'd have to do something to warrant another cap to get a callup). I could see him possibly making it as a reserve, I mean he does have World Cup experience and probably wouldn't be a bad choice to come in late in the game if we needed a goal. It really is sad though, I remember the "Cleetus" of 2001/2002, it really seemed like he'd be one the best for the US ever. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll turn his career around, but then I'm also crossing my fingers that US will win the World Cup next year (hmm, which is more unlikely?)...

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was interesting.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...2993040.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer
    I thought Clint had a take-it-or-leave-it attitude about the National Team - sort of an "I'm here if he needs me." but it appears he really wanted to be on the team. Hopefully he's been training very hard to get back - think he might be a surprise call-up?

23. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Maybe he can be the spark off the bench when we need that goal to finish off the other team.

Kind of like Preki in 98. Oh, wait, that didn't work out so well. Maybe not.

Arena has said many times that he needs players that can play 90 hard, aggressive minutes every game. I don't think Mathis is ready for that.

24. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    In my mind Mathis no matter what was doomed to have a dismal season in 2005 for RSL.

1) Mathis had no able midfield defensive cover to speak of ala Pablo M. which he will have for the Rapid's. More than halfway through the 2005 season Brian Kamler finally was moved into the Defensive Midfield role and the versatile Kamler worked pretty well with Clint. Now Kamler while a solid player is not anywhere near as effective as Pablo as a defensive midfielder. I expect Clint and Mastro will partner well together.

2) Mathis had no dangerous front runners to open up space in order for Clint to create or provide service to. The combination of Jason Kries and Mathis was doomed to fail. Neither Mathis and certainly not Kries have the speed to get behind defenses. Any defense opposing the RSL attack had a fairly easy task. Clamp down on Clint and shut down RSL.

3) Clint was in a funk much of 2005.

Mathis with other attackers running into open spaces can be very creative in,

1) finding the open man and unlocking the defense with one pass or,

2) taking on his marker 1v1 or,

3) unleasing what may be the best and most accurate long range shot in US player history.

Will Clint shake off a poor 2005? Who knows. I do know that Mathis is among the most gifted players in MLS and if teamed with the right players that play to his strenghts Mathis can still dominate in MLS or then again he may not. Time will tell.