Is Kenny Arena legit?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by ForceFan, May 10, 2003.

1. ForceFan

ForceFan New Member

May 9, 2003
    NYC
    Watching the Metrostars beat DC tonight off Clint's well-taken goal I was confused by Bob Bradley's late substitution. With under thirty seconds left in injury time he sent in Kenny Arena. It could be viewed as a stall tactic, although one not usually used, and interesting enough, Kenny's father was in the audience, although I can't imagine nepotism at this level. I follow soccer very closely and know Kenny played at Virginia - again, questionable - and on US Youth National Teams, and you absolutely must have the goods to be on those fields. Now he is in MLS. His father called him a "roll player" in his half time interview. So I'll lob this out there to anyone who might know more about this kid than me...is Kenny Arena legit?

2. AShotByBalboa

AShotByBalboa Member

May 3, 2003
    Must be great to have your father call you a 'roll player.' Your biggest fan, right? I heard when Bobby Convey moved to DC, Bruce gave Convey Kenny's room and made Kenny sleep on the living room couch.

Joking aside...

Kenny Arena deserves to be where he's at. He's legit. No team would pay him if he wasn't. However, I'm sure it his father's position has helped him out. Anyone who's been through the college and Olympic Development system knows that much of it is political. Except for the top few, most of the guys are at the same level and it often times is the guy with the contacts who makes it further. So yes, that could be the case with Kenny, but he still has to be able to play the game - even at a 'role player' level.

The Arena's are the American Maldini's. The poor man's Maldini, I should say. Actually, I shouldn't make that comparison at all. But it kind of is there, kind of.

3. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    no comparison. to make an analogy that compares kenny to paolo maldini is blatantly retarded. (i feel bad even using both of their names in the same sentence.) paolo maldini deserved to play in one of the greatest clubs in italy the moment he stepped onto the field and has showed his class to this day. the verdict is still out on kenny as to whether he belongs in mls or not. Il Bruce however is a poor-man's nothing. he deserves all the respect an american can garnish. sorry asbb, but you left yourself open for that one!

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Arena-Maldini

Ah, lighten up.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think i saw him play once with the US Youth team, can't recall what level and where. Is he ligit, probably so, is he very good, probably not. The kid may have lots of heart and dedication so his dad calls him a role player. We shall see.

But you have a good point here, and i give lots of credit to Bradley for being cool headed and not feel preassured knowing the Bruce was waiting for his son to make an apperance. However I wish he had done the substitution 10 minutes earlier and make son and dad happy.

6. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Re: Arena-Maldini

no. ;)

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Re: Re: Is Kenny Arena legit?

Bradley tried to make the substitution earlier. At least two minutes passed between Kenny checking in and Hall allowing him on the field (mostly because play didn't stop, but exacerbated by not noticing that the Metros wanted to make a sub, as I recall).

8. AShotByBalboa

AShotByBalboa Member

May 3, 2003
    Relax bancheeseball. First off, I wrote kind of. What I meant by that was that there's a father/son - coach/player thing going on. That's all. It is rare to find such combos. By all means, I didn't mean to upset your unwavering respect for Maldini and Mr. Arena.

Although... even you have to admit. With a couple years of MLS experience, Kenny could approach and perhaps surpass the level of Paulo Maldini. Didn't you see Maldini blow his mark last night on Inter's goal? He got turned hard by Martins and was left in the dust by the young Nigerian. Kenny would have stuck him, no doubt.

9. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could start its own thread...maybe. But, considering that the sons of former NASLers are appearing in MLS, it would be interesting to see how many sons of MLS coaches start appearing.

I believe Schmid's, Sarachan's and one or two other coaches sons are playing high-level youth soccer.

10. AShotByBalboa

AShotByBalboa Member

May 3, 2003
    I think one of Gansler's kids played in the A-League. I'd venture to say that Steve Sampson - if he even has kids - are terrible players.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let's not forget Bob's own son, Michael.

Let's see -- Bradley plays Arena, Arena takes a look at Michael for the U.S. National team.

Feels a little bit inbred, doesn't it?

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny played for US U-20s in Argentina in 2001. Started as a dmid alongside Brian Carroll.

Wasn't impressed, but he could have improved over the past 2 years.