Is Joseph Ngwenya the next Damani Ralph?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Emile, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    He was mentioned in one of those internecine South Carolina droolfests, but I figured he deserved some discussion on his own, away from that.

The guy is officially a collegiate phenomenon, and since he also tied for the PDL goals lead - we can safely say that he may be a lot more than that. If he signs with MLS, can he do what Ralph has done this year? You figure he could very well be a second-round pick as well because of his nationality.

African players have historically not done very well in MLS for reasons that I can't explain. Also, collegiate Africans have been popular pickups for Scandinavian leagues, although I remember rumors that Ngwenya was trying to get signed last year to MLS.

He has size (6-2 170) like Ralph, and is reputed to be pretty fast, although maybe not the same strength? He's obviously nothing like Tiny Selolwane, the last high scoring Southern African to come to MLS.

It seems to have helped out that Coastal added transfers Boyzzz Khumalo and Itayi Ponda to help make up for the loss of Littlefield. But it doesn't ultimately seem to matter who Ngwenya plays with, all he does is score goals.

So, to those who have seen him. Is this guy going to make some MLS team really, really happy next year?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think this is a very interesting topic.

The only time I've seen Ngwenya play is in the PDL final and he looked quite good in that game.

I think the similarities to Ralph are that they are both foreign, both very good college goal scorers and both weren't as hyped as pro prospects.

Ngwenya isn't as powerful as Ralph but he is fast and smooth. And, just as Ralph consistently scored at the JuCo and D-I levels, Ngwenya has scored consistently at the D-I and PDL levels.

He also makes his team better, helping CC to the PDL title and making Coastal, a school with very little soccer pedigree, a Top Ten team in consecutive years.

Folks will point out that Coastal plays in a smaller conference but the past two years they've gotten wins over South Carolina and Clemson, among other teams, and Ngwenya has come up big in those games.

I think he's got a real chance at the next level and I guarantee you that every MLS coach will review the tape of the PDL final and some may find their way to one of his NCAA Tournament games to see him in person and against a better team.

According to the PDL website, he was born 3/30/81 so, under MLS' current rules, he wouldn't count as a foreign player for two seasons, giving him and his club that much time for him to either get a Green Card or count as senior international.

I think the kid is worth it. Here are his stats:

00: 17 games, 10 goals, 8 assists
    01: 18 games, 8 goals, 1 assists
    02: 24 games, 27 goals, 9 assists
    03: 8 games*, 8 goals, 4 assists

* 03 is through 9/29.

With Cape Cod this year, he scored 17 goals and two assists in 13 regular season games then added 4 goals and an assist in 4 playoff games. That's 21 goals and 3 assists in 17 games.

3. JBinSC

JBinSC New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    ngwenya isnt very strong but very fast, very long and very quick. he seems to dance around players while possessing the ball. and he is very good in the air. i think that he should be a late first round MLS pick

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    the full package

Me too.

I was pleasantly surprised by how fast Ngwenya was. This past week he beat his man several times to balls played into space. I also agree he doesn't look as powerful as Ralph which to me means he would have trouble acting as a target player. What I realy like about him is his ability to find a good pass. There are dozens of fast players who can create their own chances but Ngwenya also creates opportunities for his teammates. His passes in tight space and off the dribble are hard and on target. His first touch out of the air is excelent.

Good facts Sandon. A 2:1 goal to assist ratio last year and into this year is about what I would expect. I think it shows that he can create opportunities for other players.

I think this guy is the full package. He would make a very good MLS withdrawn forward or wing.

PS - JB, Did you notice #15 the shorter white guy who played somthing of a stopper position? His off angle passes just amaized me.

5. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    The next Damani Ralph

Da man is Ralph. Da man ain't no Ngwenya.

6. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Good facts Sandon

Attacking Minded; Did you cypher that 27 goals and 9 assists is a 2 to 1 ratio in your head? Coastal just got beat at home by UNC bumfart, or something like that. The new Ralph was silent against a great side?

7. JBinSC

JBinSC New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    attacking, i didnt notice the passing by #15, i was very impressed with how ngwenya and #'s 9, 10, and 11 were working together. their passes were amazing. they defintiely work well together.

8. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    While I haven't seen him this year, some people say he's the best forward in the country. I'd say he's looking pretty good for a first round MLS pick.

Who would you guys put ahead of him? I think someone had suggested late first round....