Is John O'Brien ready for the WC?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Apr 16, 2006.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Is O'Brien ready? He played the last ten minutes of the Chivas-Galaxy game, during which Chivas gave up the winning goal. And Chivas only has one match left before the Nats camp begins (April 29 vs. New York Red Bulls). If O'Brien is as good as everybody says he is, why is he not starting for Chivas? The first week it was because "the field was wet", what was the excuse this time? I know he's an incredible player at his best, but he just doesn't have the match practice to be an impact player for us in Germany.

All that said, I still believe Arena will take him and that is probably the right choice, primarily because of his veteran leadership and knowledge of the game which he can share with his teammates. (Nor would another spot for Noonan, Zavagnin or Ralston really be worth it.) But I do not think he will be starting for us, nor will he have nearly as much field-time as he did in 2002 (when he played every minute.)

2. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hells no

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Is John O'Brien ready for the WC?

I don't think anyone (and especially Bradley and Arena) is going to rely on JOB's playing time and performances in MLS to answer this thread's question.

as fans, his Chivas appearances are all we really have to go on, but I'm not going to worry about it too much, as this question can't be fully answered in the affirmative until late May and early June.

of course we could get the negative answer when the roster is announced on May 2nd at 6PM Eastern ESPN's SportsCenter and on ussoccer.com -- assuming it won't be leaked to BS before then.

Using MLS performances as a guide, Jovan Kirovski looks more ready for the WC than John O'Brien does, but I tend to think that only one of those players has a shot at making Arena's 2006WC roster.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's not ready. Good thing the WC Finals don't start until June.

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the WC was this weekend coming up, no...but its still more than a month away. I have faith that he will be ready when we need him to be.

6. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    No way he's ready now, see if he can get there. In both his recent appearances (v. Jamaica, and v. Galaxians), he is clearly not match fit, moving slowly. But he also made several nice one-touch passes in both games (in the LA-Chivas game, about the only one-touches you'd see all night), along with a couple of real lousy balls, usually longer distance ones. The little flashes with the one-touches remind you about his basic skills and soccer smarts, but there's a long way for him to go.

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

the short simple answer is always the best...

8. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I think Deuce would be a better fit for the WC.

9. Phuqinu

Phuqinu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Boulder, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Clint, but your wrong. JOB will be at the WC regardless and more than likely be a starter. Anyone who doesn't think this is accurate, place your bets right here.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have confidence in Bruce to make the right decision regarding JOB. He knows much more than we do regarding JOB's fitness and injury woes. I would be willing to bet Arena has kept daily tabs on how John is doing. Bob Bradley, I'm sure is one to be up front and honest with John's progression. John is a talent we need on the field in some capacity. Even a 80% O'Brien is an upgrade over some players. That's not a knock against others, John's play is so multi-dimensional. Is he ready now? No, but can he ready by June and be effective? I certainly hope so, that's why I have faith in Bruce to make that call.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Obviously, he needs two things - to get in shape and not get hurt while trying to get in shape.

12. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    i think no one ( especially Keller4president) here know that JOB was former Ajax youth team and also senior team and played along with the like of Van Der Vaart, avaladze and Mido and he also had a goal against Portugal in 2002 wc etc etc and helped US went through quarter final wc.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    He may be ready by June, but Arena is naming his squad on May 2, about two weeks from now. (Official rosters due to FIFA by May 15.) That means he will have make an educated guess about O'Brien's status and future capabilities, and whether its worth sacrificing a spot for a fully-fit player.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bruce can replace anyone up until May, 31, IIRC, due to injury.

15. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, look at it this way even as a worst case scenario on May 2nd wouldn't you would take him as the 23rd player against guys like Zavaganin and Ralston or the other bubble guys. I mean I personally hope that he will be fit and regaining form and can play like he is capable, and plays significant quality minutes for us at the cup. However even if he starts as the 22nd or 23rd guy that don't really play bring him as he continues to improve during the camp and cup. He is still a trade up against the other bottom guys.

That being said assuming he is healthy I think even right now he is in the top 20 guys in Bruce's list.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok- lets count central midfielders better than john obrien TODAY.

claudio reyna.
    pablo mastroeni (MAYBE).

thats it. today. with obrien at about 70 percent. fitness is the only reason there are any names for that list at all, and theres time left.

17. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    Jonny O is money pure and simple. Gotta take him. Even if he turns out to be a bust I wouldn't blame Bruce for selecting him. We have one of the toughest groups in the cup and we need to take some risks.

I am ALL IN with a Jonny O in my hand.

I CALL!!

18. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    He's healthy. That's the biggest obsticle.

By the look of things Saturday night, he needs matches...badly.

Let's see how the calendar looks...

4/29 - Chivas vs. NY Red Bull
    4/30 - Chivas Reserves vs. NY Red Bull Reserves

5/2 - 23-man Roster plus alternates is announced

5/10 - USA WC Training Camp Begins

5/13 - Chivas vs. NE Revolution

5/15 - Final WC Rosters Due

5/20 - Chivas vs. NY Red Bulls
    5/21 - Chivas Reserves vs. NY Red Bulls Reserves

5/23 - USA vs. Morocco
    5/26 - USA vs. Venezuela
    5/28 - USA vs. Latvia

6/12 - USA vs. Czech Republic

From the looks of it, Bruce is going to have a big gamble on his hands...he's said in the past that the only two players he would bring at below 100% are Claudio Reyna and John O'Brien. Time to see if that still holds.

On a side note, if Bruce selects JOB, he's going to have to bring another Central Midfielder for cover, which looks probably be Ben Olsen at this point...and Pat Noonan would probably get left off at his expense

19. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I don't see O'Brien being ready to start, but I do agree he will make the roster. Therefore, if Bocanegra makes the roster as a central back I think that Arena will consider pencilling O'Brien in as the reserve left back.

That way, if Lewis goes down Arena can use O'Brien, but if Lewis is healthy O'Brien is available for midfield relief without "sacrificing" a midfield roster spot. And of course Bocanegra is still there as a last resort for the left back spot if both Lewis and O'Brien go down.

I guess it comes down to the relative value of the eighth midfielder vs. the eighth fullback. Arena will need to decide if he prefers to have Olsen or Noonan over Hedjuk, Albright or Spector.

20. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    It Arena needs offense then play Donovan in Midfield and put someone healthy and fit up front. I just think JOB in 2006 is like Wynalda and Ramos in 1998; a complete waste of a spot.

Rolfe, Mapp, Gaven, Adu, and Martino should go over JOB.

21. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    This statement to me is validation for JOB's inclusion...we're awfully short on Central Midfielders...and none have emerged since the last world cup.

22. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    John O'Brien is the best footballer to have ever worn a USMNT jersey. Period, end of story. Everyone on the squad knows it, Bruce Arena knows it, and thankfully at least a few people here on good ole BS know it.

If he can play (and barring another injury he clearly can), he goes.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He must be ready - and must start. It is imperative.

I've got a case of Czech Bud riding on it (and I can't even remember who with ...)

24. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    wynalda and ramos were wastes? how about having our best defenders on the bench? and some new guy who barely knows english starting on the rite, and playing really slow

oh, and some bald guy who can't cover a post, its a post!!! u stand next to it!!

w/e ur tripping on, those guys over job??? really?? i could put a case for rolfe and mapp as alternates, i'll actually say i'm serious on that note, but martino and gaven just need some attitude changes, gaven played his worst football alst year, and adu is progressing, give the KID some time

25. studloans

studloans Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Kingwood, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my gosh. I almost woke up my sleeping wife when I read this post. JOB will be ready for June. He has more talent at 80% then the list of scrubs that you mentioned when they are at 100%.