Is it unreasonable to ask an ebay seller....

Discussion in 'Equipment and Gear Off Topic' started by illdthedj, Dec 8, 2009.

1. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hi!

just curious, do you think its unreasonable to ask an ebay seller to wrap a pair of boots in their original box up in paper before taping it up for shipment?

meaning, an ebay seller was going to ship me a pair of brand new, in original box soccer boots by just wrapping a bunch of tape around the original box and slapping shipment labels directly on the box.

I asked him if he could wrap the box first in something like newspaper, brown paper bag, wrapping paper, whatever, BEFORE taping it up and slapping labels on it.

WHY? because they were for my collection, and i like keeping my brand new in original box boots in their original, not-fu@ked-up boxes. Taking off packing tape and labels from the original box results in lots of ugly tears and blemishes (think the orange nike box...taking off a bunch of tape from that would result in large surface areas of orange being ripped off)

the way i see it, its like the nerds that collect old star wars toys or action figures (lol sorry if you are said nerd)....the action figures in their original packing are worth more, and if they arn't in their packaging or the packaging is ripped or whatever it is worth less. im not saying boots are worth more or less if the box they came in is pristine or messed up, but its just what i prefer.

So apparently even though tons of ebay sellers either already wrap or put into another box, and those that dont normally were happy to oblige me, this one seller thinks my request is ludicrous and asking way too much.

basically,
    am i being unreasonable with my request?

2. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Totally reasonable, BUT be clear to stipulate that you want it "double boxed" before making the transaction. As you say OG Boxes are part and parcel of collecting and the example of vintage toy/models or whatever is valid - the expectation is that the packaging is part of the product resale value so the shipper should take measures to protect it in transit. I know I balled someone out when they didn't pad between the shoe box and the shipping box on some J's I ebayed, as the collectors box got damaged in transit. If I was gonna ship out I'd bubble wrap or packing-drop around the items OG box, but that's just me. Unfortunately some bums on ebay are cheap, lazy or just ignorant and unless you agree it before hand you're prolly not on string ground to complain. Offer to throw them £1 or some bs for their extra trouble but be clear you don't want the box messed up or no deal.

Good luck

3. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Plus bear in mind that if they have stated "boxed" in the listing, the box is part of the auction and if it is not in the pictured condition when it arrives you are entitled to kick off ;)

4. Jorma

Jorma Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're not unreasonable. Depends how far the package is travelling. I usually get the to wrap it in a black binliner but the corners can still get dinged

5. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol this lady must by PMSing...
    *long winded post warning...dont worry i didn't write this much, its mostly copy/paste from emails*

so i win these ronaldinhos for super cheap, like $20 and thats including shipping. im pretty sure the seller was expecting allot more, and at least a few other bidders. just me! score lol anywho heres some copy/pasta from emails:

So i say in a message
    "Hi I am the winner! I will go pay via paypal ASAP....but first, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and either wrap the original shoe box in paper or place inside another box before taping it up, I want to keep the original box in tact and in good condition"

So she says
    "I am sorry I ship them in their original boxes, it is really the only
    way I can sell them so incredibly cheap!!! Thanks"

Then I say...
    "
    im sorry but i wouldn't think wrapping the box in brown paper bag or newspaper or wrapping paper before taping the box up for shipment would cost anything or be that time consuming.

applying packing tape directly to the original shoe box destroys the outside of the box. when selling shoes/cleats "brand new in box" one would expect you are getting the original box intact and not ruined.

id really prefer these in an undamaged original box and if there is anything i can do to change your mind then let me know"

Then she says
    "
    UPs will not accept it with brown paper. I have been shipping like
    this for years with no complaints. Just don't pay and do not bid on
    my items again.
    Thanks.."

i was like LOL WUT? first i call up UPS, and they tell me that is bullsh!t about not accepting a box that is wrapped in paper....BUT THEN she is like "do not bid on my items again"...apparently im such a bad customer for not wanting the box the shoes come in to be fu@ked up by covering it in packing tape and shipping labels, that Im too much trouble to deal with and i should be asked to not bid on her items.

so i write back:
    "
    that isn't true considering i just called UPS and they told me they do in fact accept packages that are wrapped and then tapped.

i do not see what the big deal is, all sellers i have bought New in box boots have never given me any problems with such a simple request."

last thing from her:
    "
    You got $150.00 boots for 10 bucks....you really should be happy and in the future please do not bid on my items"

so basically i just ended up paying and she already shipped them to me in the way i guess shes been doing it for years, just slapping a sh!tload of tape around the box and throwing it in the mailbox. seems pretty unprofessional, especially how she told me to not bid on her items again just because I asked her to wrap the box in paper before taping it up....

i would give her negative feedback but i dont want her to bust a vindictive move and give me negative feedback, even though it wouldn't be called for.

i dunno, lol im just a bit stunned. its like asking for a receipt or a bag when you buy something at the store and having the clerk kick you out for doing so.

anywho end rant! lol

6. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats what i thought! i bought the boots "brand new, in box" not "brand new, in fu@ked up box" lol

7. ripken_hof

ripken_hof New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Baltimore,Md
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would not have a problem either, I understand if I am selleing I would want it to arrive OK and not have a messed up box..

8. TweakyToes

TweakyToes Red Card

Nov 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. Can't actually believe how anyone would be so cheap to just scrimp on that few cents and a little of their time to simply just wrap something around the original box. I'm fully behind the idea that it is unreasonable that she is refusing you by offering you a load of lame excuses.