Is it too soon to start talking Jacksonville?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by nbace, Jul 20, 2015.

1. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Armada FC is averaging over 8k in NASL (nearly a sellout in their 8500 seat stadium), ownership is very solid with local ties, and there is only one major league team to compete with. Plus the Section 904 group is great (and vocal) supporters group for a year one franchise.

Thoughts?

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Short answer - Yes.

As a pro soccer market I presume Jacksonville appears young enough that from an MLS standpoint the league would prefer to see how this builds over time. Plus the league is obviously angling for larger markets as they pursue bigger media contracts in the future. MLS is now an established brand and the assumption is that teams will draw well enough locally to justify their existence, meaning it's up to the collective to grow the TV revenues, which in turn means locations that will move the dial. Hence the reason Rochester never made it to the big time.

Jacksonville has potential, but for now they're on the outside looking in, I feel.

3. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Isn't the knock against them not enough corporate sponsors?

4. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Jacksonville would be just about the smallest market in the league, and with Atlanta and Orlando on each side, you can't even really make the case that they are bringing a region (like say RSL in Utah). I don't see why MLS would go that route.

5. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    MLS has all the time in the world with a market like Jacksonville. There is zero rush since they have plenty of other options. They can wait and watch if the support is still strong after four or five years.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from a fanbase/atmosphere perspective, I would prefer it exponentially to Miami, but MLS luvz the tv market and big money. This is why sacramento got pushed back to the next round. I would love Jacksonville over Miami, I think most others would too if choosing another team in Florida.

7. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think lack of corporate sponsors is an issue. They have a shirt sponsor, a "naming rights" for the stadium on gameday sponsor, and a huge list http://www.armadafc.com/partnerships-and-advertising

TV market size and other issues are certainly legit.

8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what did those sponsors pay for the jersey & stadium rights? MLS is very controlling over jersey sponsorships. they insists that they bring in a certain amt of money and are of a certain image/mold. They have been rumored to have nixed many deals for clubs in the past for varying reasons. Not saying Winn Dixie wouldn't fit their model and be willing to pony up. I'm just saying it not as easy as assuming those continue in an MLS world.

I personally would like to see D2 teams in good sized markets become very strong over long hall pulling in the 5-8k fans week after week. Jacksonville in my mind is that perfect city. I like having Tampa and Strikers in FL, As I also like the Richmonds, Tulsas, Rochesters and Charlestons. I know some are technically D3 but it is rumored that landscape/designation might be changing.

9. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    The lack of a proper sounding British name for the team will prevent them from joining MLS. Look at Sac Republic's problems. Perhaps a name change to City, FC, United will bring MLS expansion.

Mad Hattah and catfish9 repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Jaguars leave, then I think Jax is an interesting candidate. Until then, I don't see it.

11. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    What do the Jags have to do with anything?

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????

People don't have unlimited money to spend on sports. Markets can become oversaturated (that, I would argue, is the biggest problem faced by the Rapids.)

13. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    There isn't a lot of crossover between the sports, and we aren't talking about Green Bay. Jacksonville is really just Florida's version of Sacramento. Large city that gets overlooked because it just happens to be in a state with even larger markets.

Mad Hattah repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thats the problem. Jax is the 4th most populated city in a state known for lacking sports attendance. While Jax may support a team just fine but failures in Tampa and Miami are hard to look past, as well as blackouts for Jags games in the past. Yes MLS did put a team in Orlando but Orlando had so much momentum out of the gate MLS would have been foolish not to move up the Lions. Plus, because of Disney, Orlando is a destination city and known all over the world which help in luring in talent.That being said Jax would probably be a great addition to MLS but dont hold your breath.

15. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Jax is only a two hour drive from the Citrus Bowl. Most likely too close to Orlando for MLS to consider unless the Jags owner wants to invest a few hundred million in a SSS & MLS.

The Armada are doing some nice stuff but they are D2 market organization.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your such a dinosaur about your 2002 MLS contraction facts, then we must also include KC, SJ and Dallas as failed MLS markets. They were roughly in the same crappy state as Miami Fusion and Tampa Mutiny when they were contracted. Reason #1 why Miami and Tampa no longer have teams? Fusion's owner quit and MLS started Mutiny with no owner. Florida didn't fail MLS, MLS failed Florida.

With that said I agree that Orlando probably not interested in Jax getting a team anytime soon.

Mad Hattah repped this.
  17. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In so much as we call Orlando City a success, I think JAX can be considered a serious candidate. What matters most is whether JAX themselves want to be a candidate. There needs to be an owner willing to spend the $100M and then MLS WILL be interested. I think one more season @ current attendance rate will meet the "sufficient soccer market" test.

18. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What are the thoughts on Armada playing in a soon to be useless Everbank Field if it is made soccer specific?

19. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is EverBank Field "soon to be useless"? Shad Khan is investing tens of millions into making it a better home for the Jaguars and is planning to build both an indoor practice facility and a massive shopping/office/residential/hotel/entertainment complex at The Shipyards nearby. The Jags also have a lease until 2027.

While the Armada might continue to play a couple of games a year there, I don't think EverBank will become a soccer specific facility. If the Armada were to move to MLS, I could see EverBank as a temporary facility while a new stadium is being built.

sitruc repped this.
  20. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry, I thought the Jags were in jeopardy, I'm getting the impression that's not true, now?

21. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Like usual, any threat to move (which often I think is 100% pure speculation by the media and fans), was mostly an empty threat. Most owners want to keep their team in the current city. The only time I would take a threat to move seriously is if the team is up for sale.

sitruc repped this.
  22. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...the current owners seem very committed to Jacksonville (other than the one game a year in London thing).

sitruc repped this.
  23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was always BS, because ESPN hates the Jaguars.

24. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Its not the Jags, it is LA. ESPN wants a team in LA for the $$$. So whenever a team looks halfway like things aren't going well they baselessly jump on them moving the LA. They did the same with the Colts, and the Colts were never really a threat to move.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it IS the Jags. They beat the Dolphins with zero turnovers, and were dropped in their Power Rankings to 31.