Is It Too Late To Say Sarri? The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed we live in hope and as always approach a new season with the blind optimism of a fan.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes and as fans we are greedy. We want trophies. We want to win. We want to play stylish football. We want new players. We want youngsters emerging into the first team. We want it all. Maybe this is the year when we will achieve all of that. Despite everything.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But Lampard was a West Ham youth product! He may have become a Chelsea legend, but that glosses over the very rough few years he had at the club. If Morata has come good in his third year, we’d be having a very different conversation. Also, for all that Drogba is a Chelsea legend, he certainly had his share of issues at the club. At the end of the day, I’d rather have a consummate professional giving 99% then a dedicated mediocrity giving 100%.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Right, but my point is more that there’s no reason we can’t have good players who aren’t Chopper Harris but also be proud of the club. I was quite happy to watch Hazard, who was almost certainly never going to finish his career here and who clearly didn’t dream of Chelsea as a youngster. That’s fine by me.

Wrath and JimWharton repped this.
  5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #305 Crawleybus, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Where Lampard started is irrelevant, it's where he wants to be, where he feels he belongs that is important. I don't want players that dream of being somewhere else, I don't want players that are only interested in picking up their pay, I would rather a Chopper Harris than a Morata. There is a reason why Lampard is a god at Stamford Bridge and not at the Boleyn. For hiis father however its somewhat different. I dont have a problem with Hazard, I will always look fondly on his time Here, ultimately though he has f*cked off when we really need him, I think the point Lampard made is that ideally he wants to work with players that, if they come good, aren't going to be wanting away to Manchester United as soon as they turn half decent.

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard's Dad Frank was West Ham and so were his cousins and uncles. But it is somewhat moot as Frank jnr. explained that after a while even his Nan became a Chelsea supporter.

Moratta was never going to come good at Chelsea, nor was Kezman etc.

Interestingly it is former the players that when they talk about Chelsea they say 'We' when referring to Chelsea. Robben doen't do that. Drogba does. Players loyalty is important. It makes the difference between good and great.

If only Gerrard joined Chelsea when he wanted to :D

7. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #307 StamfordBridgeLions, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Chelsea manager Frank Lampard is Manager of the month. October 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50349371

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well done Frank, well earned. Next step: manager of the season award :D

lobomojo, Blueallthru and Yahtzee repped this.
  9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A young, injury ravaged team almost comfortably top 4. We'd be fully in the title race if we weren't missing so many key players. Frank has been tremendous!

lobomojo repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m surprised the title hasn’t been updated to Super Frank

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Nice honor for Frank.

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1194263510684962817 is not a valid tweet id

truefan420 repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some amazing ones in there. Pep, Howe and Dyche were money

14. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One year on. Will Roman ditch Frank Lampard for Massimiliano Allegri?

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well. I am just throwing it out there. Chelsea fans in London are very fickle and can also be very pragmatic. I have recently noticed a few things about their opinions.
    1. They really like Pulisic.
    2. They really hate Kepa. . .I am not his biggest fan, but they are very harsh.
    3. "Really love Frank, But. . ." I was shocked. But fans are tough and nobody is bigger than the club.

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolutely not. While fans are pissed, and rightly should be after yesterday. This project though is going to require at a minimum 3 years. Allegri would be the same hire as Sarri, Conte, and Jose. It would set the squad back years (again). He wouldn't play any of the youth and would bring in trusted veteran players.

18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm a local Chelsea fan - I'm not fickle, Kepa HAS been a disaster though there is no getting away from that one, the club would risk open revolt if they ditch Lampard! Certainly from the game day fans, and at the end of the day they really count.

19. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

As a local fan and season ticket holder, I agree we still love Frank and would not miss Kepa. He is just not suited to the premiership. I am sure that with his shot stopping ability he can be a success in another league so a lone deal for him to re-establish his reputation might be best for everyone concerned.

Crawleybus repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...ambitions-with-potential-100m-investment/amp/

Look at the nugget at the bottom of the article. I’m sure it’s all just bs talk but still figured I would put it out there

In England, the word is often that Frank Lampard has convinced players to join the project in London. But in Germany, the rumor is that the players are just the first wave. Chelsea is ambitious and alongside signing several superstars are also after Julian Nagelsmann. Whether they will be able to sign Nagelsmann from Leipzig to complement the stars on the field remains to be seen, however.

21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll assume the rest of the article is good but had to stop when it suggested that havertz would be a coupe.

Really could so with a hatchback and an SUV imo.

Naughtius Maximus, Rman3349 and lobomojo repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was gonna suggest a people carrier to drive the team up the pitch so they can score and then drive them back to defend.

lobomojo repped this.
  23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Time to look for a new manager?

24. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn’t Frank in charge would you say the same thing... my bet is no.

personally I think we might need to but for the same reason I thought we should have stuck with Conte then Sarri and given them money to shape the team I’ll say for Frank. We need to build something and that requires continuity.