Is it Possible to Have a Team in NY alongside Metros?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MiamiAce, May 12, 2005.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3608850

According to the above article, a potential investor is looking into the possibility of bringing a new MLS team to NY and purchasing the rights to the name 'Cosmos' for $1 million. Again, it's only one possibility of several options the potential investor is looking at.

My question: Is it really possible to have a team in NY side-by-side with the Metros? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Metros struggling with bringing fans into the seats? It certainly appears so when one of their homes games are televised. However, I certainly would love to see a team in NYC, and this potential investor certainly looks committed into making an investment in MLS.

What are your thoughts? Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

2. Gaffer69

Gaffer69 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NC
    Re: Is it Possible to Have Another Team in NY?

There's a team in New York ?

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    never seen it mentioned before.

Anyone hear about pointy things Egyptians are building?

4. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004

It's theoretically possible if the new NY team was in Queens since, as i've learned on BS, the Metros draw heavily from Jersey. That said, I still think the only realistic possibility of a new NY team (like a Queens-based NY Cosmos) would involve death of the Metros... if Harrison stadium talks totally die, then the Metros will probably be dead too. They can't stick with the Meadowlands. In that case, they may just fold the Metro and start up a new NYC-based club (that's assuming someone - Murstein? - has enough clout to actually get a soccer-specific stadium built in New York City)

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights

If they're gonna do that anyway, why not just sell the Metros to Murstein and let him move them to NYC and re-name them the Cosmos??

I still would like to see a rivalry between the New Jersey Metros and New York Cosmos.

6. USsoccerman

USsoccerman Member

Oct 8, 2003
    New York
    IF the metros played in NYC they would draw great, people don't want or don't have the means to travel to Giants Stadium. No public transportation to the stadium kills the attendence. Put it neighborhoods where people can be a part of the club and it will thrive.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I certainly wouldn't want them in the Meadowlands. If they want to come in as the Cosmos, get a SSS deal somewhere in the NY Metro area, and actually market the team, MORE POWER TO THEM. Competition for AEG may actually kick those guys into motion. Or they'll continue to fail in the market and be driven out. I think it's great for MLS, actually. New owner, new enthusiasm, kicks the butts of AEG, and improve the league. Simple.

8. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I'd love to see the re-birth of the Cosmos, they had a great if all too brief existance in the NASL, surely the name itself will get interest. Sadly though if the Metros are only getting just over eight thousand fan's. I just can't see a market for the new team. You guys over there should know more than me about potential markets especially the New Yoikers. What do you think Rommul?

9. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'd love it if they put another team in NY, i'm always telling my friends how i need another team to hate.

10. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    The Metrostars need to move to a better venue in a place where people actually are interested. If you put the team someplace in the Metro area, besides the world's biggest parking lot known as the Meadowlands, then the team will instantly do better. No college football stadiums or temporary ball park conversions are possible in Northern New Jersey, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island etc..? Can anyone name some?

As far as the Cosmos go I think it would be great for MLS and for soccer in the NYC area. The Metrostars/Cosmos rivalry could grow to something big.